Maryland & Rutgers to Big Ten? Topic

not really even restricted to those limitations. the only conference that is secure is the sec. the big 10 could- and will- handpick who they want from the acc and big 12. uva and unc are next. maybe duke and georgia tech. and, i guarantee, notre dame and texas will follow. the ncaa will soon make a rule that you can't keep all of the funding from your own tv network. taking a page from the democratic party, we'll soon get into wealth re-distribution. texas and nd will be facing a pile of money they simply couldn't turn down.

i personally don't think notre dame is that big of a prize athletically (decent basketball, and football that has consistently been awful for the last 20 years including a team this year that could easily be .500), but catholic america pays the bills, so they're a coup financially.

texas would be a huge get. best state university in the deep south and a huge athletic dept.

11/19/2012 1:26 PM
The Big Ten has long had Maryland on the radar screen for the DC/Baltimore markets.   Since ND and Texas are seemingly out, I'm sure the Big Ten will approach UNC (if it hasn't already).  That is the other ACC school that makes a lot of sense for the Big Ten.  Expands the market, solid academics and of a similar size, top school in the state, decent football and elite basketball program, etc.  After Texas, ND, and UNC I just don't see the Big Ten having any real targets out there, and since I don't think UNC will leave NC State, Wake, and Duke and I don't think ND and Texas are in play (for various reasons), I don't foresee the Big Ten expanding past 14 unless something drastic happens and ND, Texas, or UNC is all of a sudden in play.
11/19/2012 1:30 PM
If the NCAA starts messing with revenue sharing between conferences, the NCAA might find itself without anyone to govern.

If football goes the way of super conferences, the NCAA will become obsolete soon enough. 
11/19/2012 1:37 PM
Posted by AlCheez on 11/19/2012 11:58:00 AM (view original):
It's **** poor from a perspective of adding to the strength of the conference athletically, but from a revenue perspective, which is what drives all of this, if adding Rutgers gets the Big 10 Network on basic cable in NJ and the NY Metro area, it's a huge add.  Same for Maryland and the Baltimore/Washington area.  I would assume they've done their homework on that: if they haven't and that doesn't happen, then yeah, this would be a bad move even from that perspective. 

No Big 10 fan should be happy/excited about this move from an on the field football perspective, but that's not why this stuff happens anymore.
exactly my point.  football drives the ship and adding Maryland and Rutgers for Football is a terrible move.  the whole territory and expanding footprint is over rated if you are adding poor product.

to date, I think there have only been a couple good moves with the additions

Nebraska to the Big10 and TXAM to SEC, the two biggest moves by far

Syracuse to the ACC is second best on the board

WVU to the Big12 is decent

Biggest name left on the board is UofL

Rest of the moves has been desperation efforts at best and that includes Missouri, Utah, Colorado, TCU, etc...
11/19/2012 2:00 PM

I'm not sure you're understanding the whole TV thing.    If the B1G can get eyes on the tube that currently don't watch their product, it's a win.   Will MD/Rutgers fans watch OSU/Northwestern?  No.   Will they watch MD or Rutgers/Northwestern?  Yes, if they want to watch their team. 

11/19/2012 2:09 PM
The losers are the fans that go to road games.  Mizzou to FL is a long-*** road trip.    Much like Nebraska to Rutgers.
11/19/2012 2:10 PM
sorry, i don't buy into the whole tv audience thing.  rutgers being in the big10 is not going to boost big10 football tv ratings.  i think that entire angle is way over played and will show to be a bunch of bs when it is all said and done.
11/19/2012 2:40 PM
Posted by cravedogg on 11/19/2012 2:40:00 PM (view original):
sorry, i don't buy into the whole tv audience thing.  rutgers being in the big10 is not going to boost big10 football tv ratings.  i think that entire angle is way over played and will show to be a bunch of bs when it is all said and done.
It is all about getting the Big Ten Network on cable in NJ and NYC, which regardless of ratings is money to the conference.  Now the ratings dictate just how much of a fee and if the cable network will want to keep paying it, but just getting on cable is a massive amount of money based on the total television sets in those regions. 

This really isn't a difficult concept, I just don't get why you don't understand it.  Rutgers is worth a ton of money to the Big Ten's television markets, well over the 25 million annually it would need to be for the current teams to not get less money with the addition.
11/19/2012 2:45 PM
I undertand it perfectly, just telling you folks right now it is going to prove to be a bunch of BS and water down the Big10 in due time.  Rutgers and Maryland add zero athletic value and at the end of the day the quality of play on the field is the proof in the pudding.  Can't wait for the Iowa-Rutgers games, they are going to drive revenue through the roof... 
11/19/2012 2:53 PM
Posted by sinverguenza on 11/19/2012 1:26:00 PM (view original):

not really even restricted to those limitations. the only conference that is secure is the sec. the big 10 could- and will- handpick who they want from the acc and big 12. uva and unc are next. maybe duke and georgia tech. and, i guarantee, notre dame and texas will follow. the ncaa will soon make a rule that you can't keep all of the funding from your own tv network. taking a page from the democratic party, we'll soon get into wealth re-distribution. texas and nd will be facing a pile of money they simply couldn't turn down.

i personally don't think notre dame is that big of a prize athletically (decent basketball, and football that has consistently been awful for the last 20 years including a team this year that could easily be .500), but catholic america pays the bills, so they're a coup financially.

texas would be a huge get. best state university in the deep south and a huge athletic dept.

If the Big 10 says c'mon over Texas! They'll get a big middle finger in their face.

Texas controls 51% of the Big 12, Oklahoma 49%, and everyone else is just along for the ride. Texas A&M wanted equal billing, got the finger, and left to the SEC.
11/19/2012 2:56 PM
Posted by cravedogg on 11/19/2012 2:53:00 PM (view original):
I undertand it perfectly, just telling you folks right now it is going to prove to be a bunch of BS and water down the Big10 in due time.  Rutgers and Maryland add zero athletic value and at the end of the day the quality of play on the field is the proof in the pudding.  Can't wait for the Iowa-Rutgers games, they are going to drive revenue through the roof... 
If the game is on the Big Ten network which is on cable in NYC, then yes it will drive revenue.  That is the bottom line. 
11/19/2012 2:57 PM
The point is that all the Rutgers fans will now have to call the cable company and tell them to add Big Ten Network, thats where the revenue is. It doesnt matter if the ratings are going up, it matters that they get to bill comcast or whoever the company is that adds it to their package.
11/19/2012 3:05 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 11/19/2012 2:56:00 PM (view original):
Posted by sinverguenza on 11/19/2012 1:26:00 PM (view original):

If the Big 10 says c'mon over Texas! They'll get a big middle finger in their face.

Texas controls 51% of the Big 12, Oklahoma 49%, and everyone else is just along for the ride. Texas A&M wanted equal billing, got the finger, and left to the SEC.
I would argue Texas Football and overall athletic program is the most over rated program in college.  What other program lands as many good recruits as Texas does every year and has nothing to show for it.  The only time Texas Football has done anything in the last 30 seasons was when Vince Young played there and he was just a special player, ala Cam Newton at Auburn.  To me Texas is a soft program that is more about status than actual production.  Their basketball program is just about the same, they land all of these 4 and 5 star recruits and have absolutely nothing to show for it.

I think Texas is the biggest joke of a school in all of college athletics.  Texas has the highest revenues, biggest TV draw, biggest recruiting base, highest paid joker of coaches, and absolutely nothing to show for it.  Texas does all the talking and tried to push everyone else around.  But just like I was taught growing up, hit the bully right in the nose and he won't do anything.  Texas is all talk and no Show.  Texas SUCKS
11/19/2012 3:22 PM
Posted by kneeneighbor on 11/19/2012 3:05:00 PM (view original):
The point is that all the Rutgers fans will now have to call the cable company and tell them to add Big Ten Network, thats where the revenue is. It doesnt matter if the ratings are going up, it matters that they get to bill comcast or whoever the company is that adds it to their package.
Exactly.  Supposedly these two moves are set to add about 200 million in revenue annually to the Big Ten just from the Big Ten Network.  When you take out the 25 million share to Maryland and Rutgers (to match what the other schools currently get) that leaves an extra 150 million a year to be divided up 14 ways or another 10.7 million or so to each team in the conference.  That is why they made this move.
11/19/2012 3:24 PM
Posted by kneeneighbor on 11/19/2012 3:05:00 PM (view original):
Well, it's really not even that complicated in the short-term.  The BTN already has carriage deals with the major cable companies that requires that they be on basic/standard packages in Big 10 territory.  Those deals also command a significantly higher per subscriber fee in Big 10 territory than outside of it.  So, as soon as Rutgers enters the Big 10, based on existing agreements, the BTN adds millions of subscribers at a premium monthly price, whether any of them watches it or not.  Now, Comcast and the like can always try to renegotiate their deals, and honestly, crave is right, I don't see a major s*itstorm in the NYC market over the loss of Rutgers games, at least not one that would move the needle for a Comcast.  The problem is, that carriage deal is the same deal that Comcast is using to broadcast the BTN in Ohio, Michigan, PA, etc - and that does create serious problems for Comcast if they can't come to an agreement and lose the channel.  It's a complete racket.

So, while I could see some very long-term implications of watering down the overall product, in the near-term, it's absolutely a massive financial boon for the Big 10.

11/19/2012 3:25 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Maryland & Rutgers to Big Ten? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.