D2 Season 61 Topic

Season is about to start. How did recruiting go for everyone? St Mary's TX got our PG of the future (maybe as soon as next season) and a big man with upside in most of the right places.

Who are your early title favorites?
11/17/2012 11:09 PM
I predict the CVAC has an explosion of awesomeness
11/18/2012 8:12 PM
Feeling pretty good about ESU this year. From last year's team that got a No. 2 seed, I bring back three starters. The other two "new" starters were my 2nd and 3rd leading scorers last year.

Not too stoked with my depth and amazingly displeased with my recruiting this year, but I think I can get another high seed.

11/18/2012 9:07 PM
Had a decent recruiting season at U of the Science, considering my 4 top targets got taken by D1 after they were considering me.  My schedule is brutal though, 15, 20,  11,12, 9, 2, and 4.  Thank you Yarnell...
11/19/2012 4:48 AM
I really liked my recruiting class. Phelps and Seals will be nice role players, and I think Wilson and Lawton have the chance to be really good players. The recruit I like most is the JUCO PF Franson. If he can improve his speed up to the 40s by next season, he could be my starting SF and dominate there. It's too bad he wouldn't take a redshirt this season, otherwise I think he could have been an All-American.

11/19/2012 5:16 AM (edited)
I like our squad this year - we return most of our NT winning team, but lose Jensen at C, our biggest star. We have some excellent defenders and rebounders in the frontcourt, but nobody to replace his offensive talent. Hopefully our PG and 2 wings can handle the scoring load for us this season. This team will be as strong on D as our best Longwood teams, but I'm not sure where exactly the points will come from. 
11/19/2012 10:21 AM
Wisconsin-Parkside looks scary good this season. 
11/19/2012 10:26 AM
Bellarmine, which has won 60 games over the last 2 seasons, lost 4 starters. We'll be lucky to be .500
11/19/2012 2:01 PM
Incarnate Word is built a little differently than most years, with 3 talented guards and C Adrian Keith in the middle.  Only one ranked team on the non-con schedule (#3 Longwood in game 1, although we have #1 U of Indy in exhibition) before 7(!) games against ranked teams in the Heartland meat-grinder. 

This team will go as far as the defense allows.  Unfortunately, there are better defensive teams out there (Parkside, Longwood, Indy, Pittsburg, Seattle, Belmont Abbey, Cal Poly Pomona).  Feels like a #2-3 seed and a 2nd or 3rd round loss.   
11/19/2012 4:25 PM
I'm sure my Pittsburg St. team is over-ranked at #5, but I like my team defense this season.  Lower than ideal D IQs due to switching to Press 2 seasons ago, though.  I feel my offense is "too" balanced. By that I mean not a single (or a tandem) scorer-type guy.  

My weak non-conf schedule combined with the plethora of conference SIMs, I can't see having an RPI better than 50 and a seed no better than #5.

Any thoughts or am I way off?
11/19/2012 7:01 PM
My team is certainly overrated at #10. However if we can discover who will do the scoring, St. Rose could be a top-25 type team by NT time. Good luck this year fellas
11/19/2012 7:31 PM
Posted by The__Kid on 11/19/2012 7:01:00 PM (view original):
I'm sure my Pittsburg St. team is over-ranked at #5, but I like my team defense this season.  Lower than ideal D IQs due to switching to Press 2 seasons ago, though.  I feel my offense is "too" balanced. By that I mean not a single (or a tandem) scorer-type guy.  

My weak non-conf schedule combined with the plethora of conference SIMs, I can't see having an RPI better than 50 and a seed no better than #5.

Any thoughts or am I way off?
I see plenty of wins, less than a handful of losses, a top 10 ranking and an RPI in the 40s-50s.  The Valdosta St game (and a couple other on the back end of non-con)  could be significant for you from a quality win standpoint. 

The lack of high IQs creates the potential for upsets versus the teams you think you shouldn't lose to.  And the dreaded FB/Press combo creates problems too, for the other team but yours as well.  I won an NT in Season 48 with it, but takes a special team to make that work.  I gave up and switched offenses. 
11/19/2012 9:16 PM
I hate the early part of the season.  Lost to Longwood by a point and drop 18 spots in the poll.  I'd understand if bbunch was chopped liver, but....
11/21/2012 5:22 PM
The rankings are so fickle this early.  We started out at 12th.  Won our first 3 games.  After 2 we had dropped to 18.  Then we beat #2 and jumped to #11 and #2 fell to #9.  These things tend to always even out by the end of the season, but it is strange to me that WIS hasn't figured out how to write some logic that would create more accurate rankings early in the season.  Doesn't really matter I guess.

I like the way we are playing so far.  Our oppenents have shot under 40% from the floor and our top 2 players are both scoring very efficiently.  Hopefully we can keep this up, especially with the meat grinder that is the Yarnell coming up.
11/23/2012 6:52 PM (edited)
Posted by mduncanhogs on 11/23/2012 2:22:00 PM (view original):
The rankings are so fickle this early.  We started out at 12th.  Won our first 3 games.  After 2 we had dropped to 18.  Then we beat #2 and jumped to #11 and #2 fell to #9.  These things tend to always even our by the end of the season, but it is strange to me that WIS hasn't figured out how to write some logic that would creat more accurate rankings early in the season.  Doesn't really matter I guess.

I like the way we are playing so far.  Our oppenents have shot under 40% from the floor and our top 2 players are both scoring very efficiently.  Hopefully we can keep this up, especially with the meat grinder that is the Yarnell coming up.
This. It gets better as the season goes on, but it's not even worth showing them until about the time RPI rankings come out because of how much they fluctuate. I started at #2, and after winning my first 3 games I dropped to #7.
11/23/2012 6:07 PM
12345 Next ▸
D2 Season 61 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.