Post season awards show Topic

This year, for the first time ever, MLB announced the post season awards live on MLB Network.  I still find it strange that they have to announce 1 award per day and why not make an event out of it, similar to the MTV Video Music Awards, or a more exciting version of the Oscars.

You could announce all the major awards including Gold Glove, Silver Slugger, Jackie Robinson/Hank Aaron/Roberto Clemente awards, Rolaids, Sporting News team, etc.

I would also like to see incorporating the HOF into the celebration.  You could at least run through the entire ballot instead of just mailing it to the BBWAA and then emailing a press release.  This would be a great way to highlight careers of players and build excitement over the voting and perhaps even help some writer's make up their minds!

Heck, bring in some comedians, actors, actresses, musicians, and make it fun!  Even do a mini roast of somebody deserving.

Just wanted to get thoughts & interest level of this televised event?  I certainly would watch every minute of it!
11/20/2012 3:49 PM
I guarantee you 90% of baseball fans would skip it and check the results after. And that may be generous.

This year, the shows started at 6 - I didn't even bother coming online until 7. You have your final three candidates, and then the talking heads blathering on for half an hour about each award, clearly just filling time, trying to build up a false sense of suspense.
11/20/2012 10:13 PM
I think it's a great idea. Particularly if you move all the awards to the same day, but make it more of an occasion.  I love incorporating the HOF into it as well.  I for one would watch.  So I guess I'm in Jtp's 10%.

But not too many "acts".  I don't need 4 minutes of Taylor Swift, 4 minutes of Vince Gill and 4 minutes of Justin Timberlake.  A funny host would be good (please anyone but Dan Patrick!). 

11/21/2012 9:26 AM
I have to agree with jtpops.    I'm not being condescending but I tend to think of award shows as "women" events.  They want to see who's wearing what, while having Joan Rivers rip them for it, and then for the acts.  The awards themselves seem secondary.   If MLB did a show, I'd probably pop in from time to time to get a recap.   Part of the problem is that it's during football season and, quite honestly, most of us only have so much "tube" time. 

But, to be fair, I think it would be far more interesting than the current way it's done. 
11/21/2012 9:37 AM
Your hosts:

11/21/2012 9:37 AM
I find it strange they wait until well after the season is over to announce all the awards.
11/21/2012 10:39 AM
I agree with MikeT23, events are for women. And unless you have a dog in the race why would you watch?
11/21/2012 1:29 PM
I didn't exactly say that.    I think awards shows cater more to the "event" nature.   And I think women are a bit more drawn to events.

I follow baseball for about 6 months(I miss most of August for whatever reason).   I'm not going to watch a 3-4 hour "recap" show that essentially names the outstanding players from March-October because I pretty much know who they are.    I don't need Harold Reynolds and Mitch Williams yammering on about it for 15 minutes before it's announced.    However, had I watched the WS only, I'd be more interested in the recap.   More specifically, I'd prefer the recap during the playoffs as sort of an appetizer to the yet unwatched WS that was on my schedule.
11/21/2012 2:48 PM
My mistake.
11/21/2012 3:47 PM

Awards aren't so important to me that I can't wait to see the results posted on the internet somewhere after the fact.

Two or three weeks after the World Series, baseball is typically the furthest thing from my mind.

11/21/2012 4:00 PM
I think another aspect of awards shows is suspense - the build-up and anticipation. But when it comes to sports, a) you don't have the same type/amount of media hype you do in entertainment (I don't consider the talking heads going back and forth ad nauseum to be "media hype"), and b) I don't think sports fans care about the suspense that much. Sure they want to know who wins, but it's not something they sit for days and weeks, chewing their nails off and getting worked up about. Most of the time, the winner is clear, and the times it's not, people are content to flip on the TV or hop on the internet at the end of the day and get the recap.
11/22/2012 12:07 AM
It is for me with the HOF voting which is why they should incorporate that, or perhaps just do a HOF show like this.
11/22/2012 6:56 AM
I might watch a HOF show...I think it would have a lot more substance. I don't think you'd need all the "bells and whistles" though. I doubt many sports fans will watch an awards show just because there's a cool comedian or musical act. But who knows.
11/24/2012 12:24 PM

Viewership For the ESPY Awards Dating Back to 1996
1996-2006 Viewership From Sports Business Daily, 7/19/06

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2011/07/espy-awards-hits-lowest-level-in-over-a-decade/

11/27/2012 9:51 AM
I wonder what happened in 2006 that made it such a must-see event?
11/27/2012 11:30 AM
12 Next ▸
Post season awards show Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.