Media Bias Poll Topic

My point was that you were attributing a "quote" to Sarah Palin that she did not make.  People (such as you) are remembering SNL skits and confusing them with reality.
11/30/2012 10:02 PM
I think his point (I've said this before, too) is that the reality is as bad as, if not worse than, the SNL quote.
11/30/2012 10:06 PM
I'm not confusing the SNL tagline with the real interview, I'm just going with the line most people would easily recognize.  I'm sorry I didn't bring up the real situation in which she not only A) did, in fact, claim that being from Alaska somehow made her more qualified to work on foreign policy B) lied, or at least strongly implied the untruth that she had experience communicating with Russian officials and most importantly C) expressly indicated a willingness to go to war with the country everyone has been trying desperately to avoid a war with for 65 years.

Honestly, the fact that the Obama/Biden campaign DIDN'T start making Cuban Missile Crisis/Sarah Palin Crisis comparisons and instead decided just to allow their supporters and SNL cast members to call her stupid for saying you could see Russia from Alaska even though she had never, in fact, done so, was a huge gift as far as I'm concerned...
11/30/2012 10:08 PM
"allow their supporters and SNL cast members to call her stupid for saying you could see Russia from Alaska even though she had never, in fact, done so"

She did indeed say that you can see Russia from Alaska because, you know, you can.
11/30/2012 10:12 PM
And FWIW, I have never voted for Obama.  I voted McCain in 2008 and I voted for Romney a few weeks ago.  I'm not just some liberal wantonly trying to attack the conservatives.  The reality is that Sarah Palin was a bad choice of running mate for McCain.  I frankly don't understand why so many people from both parties feel like in order to support their political agendas they have to defend everything their parties and candidates do.  Instead of admitting, "hey, we made a mistake, should have gone with someone a little less conservative with a little more experience to try to appeal to the undecided voters," all the GOP supporters feel they have to continue to defend Palin and do whatever they can to make it look as if she had been a good choice.  The end result of that is that you get another uber-conservative with suboptimal experience on the ticket with a guy who magically went from moderate to extreme conservative in the primaries and forgot to come back when they were over and lose another election.  The first one was always going to be an uphill battle.  2012 should have been a Republican year, but the party refused to learn from its mistakes.  I just don't get it...
11/30/2012 10:13 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/30/2012 10:12:00 PM (view original):
"allow their supporters and SNL cast members to call her stupid for saying you could see Russia from Alaska even though she had never, in fact, done so"

She did indeed say that you can see Russia from Alaska because, you know, you can.
That's not the point.  The point is that it's irrelevant.  Do you honestly believe that the proximity to Russia had in any meaningful way informed Palin's foreign policy views or made her particularly well-equipped to handle foreign policy problems in an executive position?  I don't, and almost nobody else does either, which is why it turned into a joke.  I'm not saying she lied.  I'm just saying it was incredibly stupid to claim that this was a relevant fact.  She had never been to Russia.  She had never been to a part of Alaska from which you can see Russia.  She had never done any meaningful negotiation or communication of any sort with Russia or any of its officials.  Again, the point isn't that it's not true.  It's that it's totally irrelevant and she expected Americans to be stupid enough to miss it.  Not sure why you don't get this.
11/30/2012 10:15 PM
Also, you fail to address the central point here, which, if we go back to the beginning of this, was that she did in fact say things that did NOT, as swamp claimed, make her look better and the McCain ticket in general stronger.  Unless you believe that saying "sure, I'll go to war with Russia, that's what the treaty says" made her look better in the eyes of a voting public still only 20 years removed from the Cold War and very much aware of the whole MAD doctrine and the idea that we don't want to fight the Ruskies.
11/30/2012 10:18 PM
I'm not defending my party because I don't have a party.  I'm registered as an unaffiliated voter.

The only thing I'm "defending" Palin about is the fact that I believe the media treated her extremely unfairly.  It went well beyond challenging her qualifications (or lack thereof), and became a vicious vendetta.  Remember "Caribou Barbie"?

I find it extremely puzzling that the same people who were concerned that Sarah Palin was "a heartbeat away from the Presidency" don't seem to have any concerns that a jackass like Joe Biden is just a heartbeat away himself.
11/30/2012 10:19 PM
Posted by jwelsh1023 on 11/27/2012 3:21:00 PM (view original):
Honestly, both sides of the aisle are abysmal, We as a society are deteriorating with every week that passes.  I mean, look around at the nonsense that goes on.  The media bias isn't what's wrong with anything, it is the people of the country that suck.  I read all these name calling threads from the right and the left that just spout nonsense on why the right is a bunch of ******** or why the left is a bunch of ********.  NEWSFLASH - we are all ********, lets work on stop being ******** first and then work out a way to restore America, cause whether it's Bush's fault or Obama's fault is irrelevent, America isn't at the standard it should be and that is an issue.  And if the Media being Liberal or Conservative is to blame for the general suckitude of the american people, then **** the media. 
+111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111
12/1/2012 8:42 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/30/2012 10:19:00 PM (view original):
I'm not defending my party because I don't have a party.  I'm registered as an unaffiliated voter.

The only thing I'm "defending" Palin about is the fact that I believe the media treated her extremely unfairly.  It went well beyond challenging her qualifications (or lack thereof), and became a vicious vendetta.  Remember "Caribou Barbie"?

I find it extremely puzzling that the same people who were concerned that Sarah Palin was "a heartbeat away from the Presidency" don't seem to have any concerns that a jackass like Joe Biden is just a heartbeat away himself.
I'll bet Biden could tell you what magazines/ news outlets he reads.
12/1/2012 9:53 AM
Posted by The Taint on 12/1/2012 9:53:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/30/2012 10:19:00 PM (view original):

I'll bet Biden could tell you what magazines/ news outlets he reads.

Of course they would never ask an East Coast Liberal what magazines he reads. It is an insulting question. And Palin was outraged by the question and that is why she answered like she did.

And she made that comment right after the interview.

Another Palin myth made to destroy any oppostion to OBAMA!

12/1/2012 7:31 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 11/30/2012 10:18:00 PM (view original):
Also, you fail to address the central point here, which, if we go back to the beginning of this, was that she did in fact say things that did NOT, as swamp claimed, make her look better and the McCain ticket in general stronger.  Unless you believe that saying "sure, I'll go to war with Russia, that's what the treaty says" made her look better in the eyes of a voting public still only 20 years removed from the Cold War and very much aware of the whole MAD doctrine and the idea that we don't want to fight the Ruskies.
So are you saying that we should not go to war with Russia if a Nato Ally is attacked?

That would seem like a stupid thing for a candidate to say?

Are you saying that?
12/1/2012 7:35 PM
They aren't NATO allies.  She said she wanted to bring them into NATO, one would assume specifically to challenge Russia to go ahead and attack them.  That's stupid.  That's recreating the Cuban Missile Crisis, but this time we'd be the ones instigating.  So yes, I'd say that's an incredibly stupid thing for a candidate to say.

If we're going to address you're question as if it hadn't been irrelevant, then yes, I'd still say it's a stupid thing to say.  Everybody knows we don't want a war with Russia.  I'd say avoiding a MAD scenario is FAR more important than any obligations to any NATO ally.  Friends aren't important anymore if everybody's dead, and ultimately Georgia and the Ukraine understand that too.
12/2/2012 2:36 AM
She said Ukraine and possibly Georgia should be brought into Nato and if the are in Nato we have to defend them.

The idea that we dont need friends and no matter what we should not honor our treaties is the stupidest thing anyone on the left has said about military issues since McGovern.
12/2/2012 2:44 AM
Who exactly said that?
12/3/2012 4:50 AM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10 Next ▸
Media Bias Poll Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.