Projecting the BCS Bowl Games Topic

No.
11/25/2012 8:33 PM
Posted by gregsimon on 11/25/2012 8:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cravedogg on 11/25/2012 8:13:00 PM (view original):
Big East, ACC, and Big 10 should be banned from the BCS this season.  Just a horrible season for all 3 conferences
Nebraska had a solid season. Losing only twice and both on the road. To UCLA by 6 and undefeated Ohio St by 25.
Given how putrid the Big 10 was this season, that's really not saying much.
11/25/2012 8:35 PM
Hey they beat Southern Miss too. LOL
They are still far and away more deserving than any team from the Big East.
Of course Stanford will likely pound them in the Rose, but still.

11/25/2012 9:57 PM
Kent State is 17th, Northern Illinois is 21st.  Boise State is 20th.  Seems unlikely that UNI or BSU would be able to get into the top 16, but Kent State would certainly have a very realistic shot as UCLA is currently 16th and would likely drop behind KSU if it loses to Stanford again.  FSU, Nebraska, or Oklahoma could also realistically drop behind KSU if they lost their final games this weekend. 
11/26/2012 8:31 AM
Posted by AlCheez on 11/25/2012 7:21:00 PM (view original):
Since they can't take Rutgers' spot, it's hardly a relevant argument.  Kent State is probably the only one of the two with a chance to sneak in to the top 16 (they were 23rd in the BCS and No. Illinois was off the board despite being ahead of Kent in both polls), so if you actually like football, root for No. Illnois next week.  Otherwise, if everything else holds form and Kent does make it to the top 16, you get Florida vs. Rutgers and FSU (probably) vs. Kent State.
ugh
11/26/2012 10:29 AM
Posted by gregsimon on 11/25/2012 8:23:00 PM (view original):
Yeah they may be better than the ACC.

The only Big East school not named West Virginia to win a BCS game is Louisville over Wake Forest in 06 and Miami beat FSU in 03 when Miami was Big East.

With WV gone the Big East ought to have their AQ revoked.

Are there any exceptions to the up coming 4 team playoff format, or will it simply be the top 4 schools? I've also read that they were doing away with the BCS format altogether, if so, what will be used to determine those 4?

(I have the year of the bowl game not the season).  Miami also beat Florida in 2001 and Nebraska in 2002 as well as FSU in 2004.  You obviously correctly mentioned Louisville in 2007 and West Virginia in 2006 and 2008.  The ACC has won exactly 2 BCS games, Va Tech beat Cincinnati in 2009 and Florida State beat Va Tech in 2000.  So despite continually raiding the Big East, the ACC is still a lesser conference than the Big East on the national stage and in the bowl games that actually matter.  Frankly, I find that hilarious.

There is apparently going to be a selection committee to pick the 4 teams, but I suspect they will use something similar to the BCS to really narrow the field down and will probably weigh more heavily conference champions.  Not much out there on who will be on it or what criteria they are supposed to use.

11/26/2012 12:08 PM (edited)
What if the worst case scenario happens?  The following is actually possible

NC - Notre Dame v. Georgia
Fiesta - Kansas State v. Oregon
Sugar - Florida v. Louisville
Rose - UCLA v. Wisconsin
Orange - Georgia Tech v. Kent State

How awful would that be?  Aside from the title the only watchable game is KSU v. Oregon. 
11/26/2012 1:25 PM

Kent State probably makes it to the BCS if Stanford wins the PAC10 Title game.  The Orange Bowl Committee will be crying.  And if Kent State does go I think the Bowls will look like this

NC - ND vs. Alabama/Georgia
Rose - PAC10 Champ vs. Big10 Champ
Fiesta - Big12 Champ vs Oregon
Sugar Bowl - Florida vs Big East Champ
Orange - Florida State vs Kent State

Sugar Bowl gets to their second pick before the Orange Bowl so I would assume they would take Big East Champ over Kent State.

11/26/2012 2:53 PM
Posted by moranis on 11/26/2012 1:25:00 PM (view original):

Rose - UCLA v. Wisconsin

How awful would that be?  Aside from the title the only watchable game is KSU v. Oregon. 
I think the Sugar Bowl will be happy if they end up getting Louisville.  They just don't want to end up with UConn or Rutgers.  Louisville Football fans will travel better than UConn and Rutgers combined.  Plus Charlie Strong versus Florida has some interest.
11/26/2012 2:57 PM
Posted by cravedogg on 11/26/2012 2:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moranis on 11/26/2012 1:25:00 PM (view original):

Rose - UCLA v. Wisconsin

I think the Sugar Bowl will be happy if they end up getting Louisville.  They just don't want to end up with UConn or Rutgers.  Louisville Football fans will travel better than UConn and Rutgers combined.  Plus Charlie Strong versus Florida has some interest.
UConn has no shot, but in theory Syracuse or Cincinnati in addition to Louisville and Rutgers could get in (though the first two are highly highly unlikely)
11/26/2012 3:45 PM
Northern Illinios could beat Kent State so don't get wound up about the worst case just yet.
11/26/2012 8:03 PM
◂ Prev 12
Projecting the BCS Bowl Games Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.