Build a team for your park Topic

It's not really GB/FB. It's control, it's pitches 1 through 5, it's above average D and it's not velocity.

There are pitchers that cost $5M that will get low to mid 3 ERA playing half their games in a pitchers park, and pitchers that cost $15M that get low to mid 3 ERA in any park. Use the advantage and spend the $10m elsewhere.
11/27/2012 10:49 AM
Posted by deathinahole on 11/27/2012 9:54:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/26/2012 1:59:00 PM (view original):
Contact puts the ball in play(less strikeouts).   When you have to fight for every run, less strikeouts is a good thing.
Considering the most successful pitcher park teams have high GB/FB ratios and low Ks in their pitching stats, I'd say this would be a bad idea.
Then this post has no relevance?

11/27/2012 10:54 AM
Because, essentially, you're saying "Build a pitching staff for a pitcher's park just like you would anywhere else".
11/27/2012 10:55 AM
You know that circle we go in that's "I don't want your crappy pitchers" "The crappy pitchers that are top ERA in the AL for the past 6 seasons?" "Park effects. If I bring them here I get killed"

In that nether region is what we are discussing. Of course there are hitters that can hit anywhere, and there are pitchers that can pitch anywhere, it's what you do on the in between with a hitters park or pitchers park that give an advantage (or disadvantage).

I'm actually surprised that this kind of thread appears once every  2  months or so, and there's hardly ever "How do I build a team for a hitters park? I'm in a 3,3,3,3,3." THAT'S a complete and utter mystery to me. I'd take 10 minutes out of my day to read that.
11/27/2012 11:06 AM
Well, here's how I built mine.  
1. Good control(took a flier on a couple of poor control guys with big DUR/STM combos to see how they'd do).
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Esmailyn Baez
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Luis Torcato
Results have been less than stellar.

2.  Decent splits and pitches.  Mostly just wanted guys who wouldn't "lose" the game by getting blasted.

3.  Heavy concentration on bullpen.  Again in hopes of not losing late. 

4.  Put most of my money in hitting.   65/40.
11/27/2012 11:28 AM
Believe it or not, death, building a team for a hitter-friendly park isn't rocket surgery.

You just really have to overpay for top level pitching and pay attention to defensive recs to help them out, since any half decent hitters should perform well.

Of course, that's for Montgomery or Toronto.  Much more extreme than that, and I have no experience.
11/27/2012 11:57 AM
Overpay via FA or trade (unless you can draft or sign them in IFA), but it amounts to the same thing.

Roll out 4 potential all-star SPs and you'll be fine.  You won't lead the league in ERA, but you'll win plenty.
11/27/2012 11:58 AM
I don't think any of it is rocket surgery.   There are a lot of ways to build winning teams.   Which is good because you're trying to acquire assets that 31 others also want.   There was a time when building an average hitting, average pitching and great fielding team was easy and successful.   Simply because no one cared much about defense.   The key to the whole game, IMO, is finding players that few want and making them work in your system.   Like The Rightfielder.
11/27/2012 12:12 PM
I understand there isn't a magic pill. I guess I'm just looking for a few options to build on since I'm playing in "pitchers" park.  It seems to be the old sport arguement of whether true offence or true defence wins games. I'm leaning to building the defence and hope to win 70% of my home games and steal another 35% of my road games.
11/27/2012 12:57 PM
I built a really good D in Memphis.  In part because it was easy to do.  D wasn't valued in that world.
11/27/2012 1:09 PM
Good plan, but I'd aim higher than 85 wins... maybe that's just me.
11/27/2012 1:10 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/27/2012 12:12:00 PM (view original):
I don't think any of it is rocket surgery.   There are a lot of ways to build winning teams.   Which is good because you're trying to acquire assets that 31 others also want.   There was a time when building an average hitting, average pitching and great fielding team was easy and successful.   Simply because no one cared much about defense.   The key to the whole game, IMO, is finding players that few want and making them work in your system.   Like The Rightfielder.
Look! Mike's a fan of Moneyball.

And what the hell is rocket surgery?
11/27/2012 1:23 PM
rocket surgery 4987 up, 1675 down

June 11, 2010 Urban Word of the Day
(n.) a play on words which mixes two common metaphors: "rocket science" and "brain surgery"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rocket%20surgery
11/27/2012 1:39 PM
Are you performing surgery on that rocket, or are you just happy to see me?
11/27/2012 2:33 PM
Can it be both?
11/27/2012 2:37 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Build a team for your park Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.