Chances of landing a "longshot" job Topic

I just applied for an SEC job opening that I'm a "longshot" for. What are the chances that I might actually land this job? I have heard that my chances are very small.
11/26/2012 11:52 AM
I have heard people apply for 100 jobs like this and get 1? I don't know that there is an actual percentage that has been throw out there. I know I have applied for about 30 in my career and haven't been accepted yet.
11/26/2012 12:09 PM
I would say its a longshot that you would get it.
11/26/2012 12:10 PM
Slim and none. I made the mistake a few seasons ago of applying for three longshot jobs and my loyalty dropped after being turned down by all three. It took two seasons to get it back to A+
11/26/2012 12:27 PM
I applied for 3 this past offseason and it didn't hurt my loyalty at all.
11/26/2012 12:39 PM
Posted by chattkia on 11/26/2012 12:27:00 PM (view original):
Slim and none. I made the mistake a few seasons ago of applying for three longshot jobs and my loyalty dropped after being turned down by all three. It took two seasons to get it back to A+
i dont think this is possible.... is it possible your loyalty was lower to start, and thats why you got rejected?
11/26/2012 1:10 PM
ive gotten a longshot myself, 1 out of 20 apps maybe. i know a bunch of other people have too. its a low %, i dont think its a fixed number - depends on the situation - probably between 1 and 10%, maybe 5% on average, or thereabouts?
11/26/2012 1:11 PM
Every long shot I've ever applied for I got rejected the first possible cycle
11/26/2012 2:57 PM
Posted by mjp8 on 11/26/2012 2:57:00 PM (view original):
Every long shot I've ever applied for I got rejected the first possible cycle
+1
11/26/2012 3:05 PM
I'm about 1-for-30 lifetime in Longshot and Keep Looking jobs.
11/26/2012 3:19 PM
Well I got rejected almost instantly. That puts me at 0-1.
11/26/2012 4:14 PM
Coach_billyg, I was at LMU and applied for Pittsburgh, Washington St. and Oregon and was rejected by all three.....my loyalty dropped from A+ to A......this is what I found in the Players Guide:

Loyalty is determined simply by how loyal to your schools you have been during the course of your career. Your loyalty will begin at a B- with your first school. Every year that you remain at your current school, your loyalty rating will improve. Any time you leave your school, even for a program that is considered superior, your loyalty rating will take a hit. You will also receive a very minor loyalty hit for applying to jobs, even if you are not hired, but this will usually not be significant enough to change your letter grade. The amount that your loyalty drops depends largely on how long you have been at your current school, and if the school is considered a step up, a lateral move, or a step down. For point of reference, if you have been at a school long enough to achieve an A+ loyalty, and move to a school that is considered a step up, you will generally drop to an A- or B+. If you are stepping down a level, it is entirely possible that your loyalty will drop all the way to an F. If taking a job that is a step backwards, be sure you are prepared to stay there for a multitude of seasons.

maybe its just my bad luck or the fact I wasnt a "solid" A+, if that matters. My agent did refer to them as "lateral" moves but I still disagree. In real life, that move isn't lateral, well maybe when Paul Westhead was coaching at LMU.....LOL

11/26/2012 7:19 PM (edited)
wow, very interesting. thanks chattkia. just goes to show, you never know too much to learn something on the forums. i used to learn something from the forums every day... now i think the forums are just not lively enough, but i still learn a lot from them.

any time you apply longshot, i believe, you are rejected automatically in the 1st cycle if you arent eligible. so, i think you could still get beaten out, but if nobody else applied, you'd get the job - once you make it past that first cycle. 
11/26/2012 7:19 PM
I just added to the bottom which might explain the drop.....I'm still learn something new everyday....LOL
11/26/2012 7:31 PM (edited)
Ok if didn't drop in loyalty that means I must have been a high A+ and then stayed at A+ but next time I could drop.
11/26/2012 8:07 PM
12 Next ▸
Chances of landing a "longshot" job Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.