Update News - Position Roles/Depth Charts Topic

We have a few of the pages complete and are almost complete on the others minus some additional on page help and such, so I wanted to post a few screenshots of the new pages.  Today, I'll go over the new Position Roles page and Depth Chart page.

One of the first things you might notice is we've changed the menu layout to be like what you see in Hoops Dynasty with all the coaching related pages under one menu.

You will see these options on the menu even when in a 2.0 world, but if you try to go to a 3.0 page, like Offense Formations, it will redirect you to the corresponding 2.0 page - in that case Game Planning.  Position Roles will be active for 2.0 worlds. However, the new depth charts will not be.  Also, Position Roles through Defense Playbooks are tied to the user account and shared across teams while the others are related to the specific team.

This is the Position Roles page as you will see it initially, or as any new user will see it.  You set the percentage weighting for each position, up to 100, that will then be used to calculate position role ratings for players of that positions.  The bottom of the page shows your roster by position with the position role rating in a sortable column.  That rating will only change upon saving your changes but we may look to see if there is a way to dynamically update it in the future that doesn't create way too much of a performance hit.

One thing you might notice is that there is only one position role formulas for each natural position in the game (more about this when we look at depth charts).  When you are familiar enough with this concept, you can opt into Advanced Position Role mode which gives you many more options at each positions.

The Advanced mode screen allows you to set multiple, predefined position role formulas for each position.  As you can see in the screenshot, you select the position and then edit those formula.  At the bottom of the page it will show all of the players on your roster for that position and sortable columns for these new position role ratings.

There are default values for each formula that you will see, and will be used if you change nothing.  We will also have a way to reset back to these default settings.
11/28/2012 4:13 PM
The first way these position roles will be used is during recruiting.  On the Recruiting Search page, you will see a new option for Overall rating.  If you are looking at all positions, or if you select "Total" for a specific position, you will see the total rating as you do today.

If you select a specific position, you will then see options for each of the specific position roles.  Note that if you are in Basic Position Role mode you will only see the option of "Total" and "Running Back".

If you select one of the position roles, instead of the total rating, you will see the position role rating using your formula.

11/28/2012 4:18 PM
Yeah Norbert....this is GOOD stuff!! 
11/28/2012 4:25 PM
The other area in which position roles come in to play (for 3.0 world only) is the depth charts.  You will now have one depth chart that corresponds to each position role.  Keep in mind that if you are in Basic Mode you will only have one depth chart for each natural position and if you are in Advanced Mode you will have a depth chart for each of the advanced position roles.  One thing you may notice is this means Basic Mode has less options than you currently have.  For instance, the Full Back depth chart is gone.  You will only see that in Advanced Mode.  When we look at formation and playbook settings that will make more sense.

For Basic Mode (which is your Position Role Mode), you will see the depth charts very similar to how they are today minus a few depth charts as I mentioned above.  You will set one depth chart for each natural position.  The difference being that there is a new sortable column with the position role rating.

For Advanced Mode, you will open up a depth chart for each advanced position role and set depth charts in groups by natural position rather than all offense and all defense.  You will also see all of those position role ratings in the player table.

I hope to have some screenshots in the next few days for the new Formations Set pages and Playbook pages.
11/28/2012 4:26 PM
I know I am old and everything, but should we be able to see these screen shots???  I know I cant tell much about them.
11/28/2012 4:45 PM
I had to right click on them and open them in another window in order to actually see what they contain
11/28/2012 4:47 PM
Under the My Forums tab at the top of the forums, make sure you have Image Full selected to see these screen shots.
11/28/2012 4:54 PM
Much better - thanks
11/28/2012 4:57 PM
Just wait until you get a look at positions and playbooks. 
11/28/2012 5:10 PM
Posted by bhazlewood on 11/28/2012 5:10:00 PM (view original):
Bob, a lot of this looks like what you and yatzr do/provide for us.  Do these improvements inside GD put you guys "out of business"?  
11/28/2012 5:26 PM
Posted by harriswb3 on 11/28/2012 5:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bhazlewood on 11/28/2012 5:10:00 PM (view original):
Bob, a lot of this looks like what you and yatzr do/provide for us.  Do these improvements inside GD put you guys "out of business"?  
You'll still need someone to come up with the super-secret formulas for all the different position roles people are going to come up with. 
11/28/2012 5:31 PM
This is awesome.
11/28/2012 6:44 PM
Now that I can see the screenshots it looks like a big, big improvement.
11/28/2012 8:53 PM
Strong work Norbert, Strong work indeed!
11/28/2012 8:59 PM
Great work, it is nice to actually see the progress being made. Thanks norbert!
11/28/2012 10:54 PM
123 Next ▸
Update News - Position Roles/Depth Charts Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.