Update News - Position Roles/Depth Charts Topic

Now that you've put a face to it,I love it Norbert.
11/29/2012 12:11 AM
11/29/2012 8:21 AM
Thanks for the comments.  There are a couple other people working on the pages, so I'll make sure they get the feedback.
11/29/2012 10:30 AM
Looking good norbert.
11/29/2012 7:42 PM
Strong. I am not entirely confident, however, that I will be able to come up with the optimum weighted position formulas after all these years of "in yatzr we trust."

I do have one question. In the other thread, you indicated that a user would not be able to return to Basic Mode once he had set depth charts, etc., in Advanced Mode. Why that prohibition? What if a user wearies of the detail and wants just to resume a less taxing approach?
11/29/2012 9:01 PM (edited)
"There are default values for each formula that you will see, and will be used if you change nothing.  We will also have a way to reset back to these default settings."

tribewiter, above is what I copied and pasted from page 1 of this thread regarding position formulas. 
11/29/2012 9:26 PM
Wow! I would really like to say something that makes me sound a little more intelligent, but all I can think of right now is...WOW!
11/29/2012 10:12 PM
this is going to allow me to release my inner Mad Hatter. 
11/30/2012 12:17 AM
Posted by tribewriter on 11/29/2012 9:01:00 PM (view original):
Strong. I am not entirely confident, however, that I will be able to come up with the optimum weighted position formulas after all these years of "in yatzr we trust."

I do have one question. In the other thread, you indicated that a user would not be able to return to Basic Mode once he had set depth charts, etc., in Advanced Mode. Why that prohibition? What if a user wearies of the detail and wants just to resume a less taxing approach?
It's bhazlewood that you've been trusting with those formulas :). I just use his formulas by default in the recruiting tool.
11/30/2012 9:20 AM
This was copied and pasted from Norbert's original post, on June 19:

"New users will be set to Basic and once you switch to Advanced, you can't go back to Basic ..."
11/30/2012 10:02 AM
Posted by tribewriter on 11/29/2012 9:01:00 PM (view original):

The reason for this has to do with how these new Advanced depth charts are used in your formation settings which are then used in your playbooks.  Once you start using the advanced depth charts, like "RB Power" and "RB Possession", it's really inconvenient and probably a little more than confusing to try to shrink those back to just "Running Back".  Obviously you would just stop using the expanded roles, but anywhere you have referenced them would have to be set back to the default role.

Keep in mind that you can always just set these additional roles to the defaults and forget about them, and since the depth charts correspond one-to-one to the position roles, we are working on the "Show Recs" feature to allow you to fill in a depth chart based on your position role settings, which should also help alleviate the additional time to set more depth charts.

We'll leave that aspect open to feedback during beta and see if people really feel the need or desire to switch back.

11/30/2012 10:41 AM
So the question remains, Yatzr and bhazlewood... From all appearances, it seems that you guys have had some input on the development of this release. If the ratings won't simply be a total of the players attributes, and a coach can weight these attributes when recruiting.... It seems like most (all?) of what I use yatzr's tool and the Guess ratings will be in the app itself?
11/30/2012 7:19 PM
Posted by mgm0461 on 11/28/2012 5:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by harriswb3 on 11/28/2012 5:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bhazlewood on 11/28/2012 5:10:00 PM (view original):
Just wait until you get a look at positions and playbooks. 
Bob, a lot of this looks like what you and yatzr do/provide for us.  Do these improvements inside GD put you guys "out of business"?  
You'll still need someone to come up with the super-secret formulas for all the different position roles people are going to come up with. 
dammit, bob, I paid extra so you would keep the secret stuff secret!
11/30/2012 7:31 PM
Posted by jc1796 on 11/30/2012 7:19:00 PM (view original):
So the question remains, Yatzr and bhazlewood... From all appearances, it seems that you guys have had some input on the development of this release. If the ratings won't simply be a total of the players attributes, and a coach can weight these attributes when recruiting.... It seems like most (all?) of what I use yatzr's tool and the Guess ratings will be in the app itself?
I have no input.  I'm not part of the council.  The recruiting tool still does a lot more than what norbert is showing.
  • Seeing how far schools are from the recruits that are considering them.
  • Seeing how many recruits are green/yellow for a school.
  • Seeing all the schools listed (along with their coach or "Sim AI") when a recruit considers multiple schools without having to click on the recruit.
  • Search recruits based on who they are considering.
  • Mass recruiting.
  • Processing potential of recruits.
That said, I'm all for the direction norbert is taking this, and I wouldn't be upset if he ended up incorporating all of this into the site and made my tool obsolete.  It'll just force me to try to add more features 

12/1/2012 12:41 AM
After further thought, it appears to me that the work of both Bob and Yatzr will still be very, very relevant.  Norbert is incorporating some good stuff, but will not be able to provide the functional details that we all want and need.  Not Norberts fault, or even his problem to consider.

Yatzr and Bob provide services that we all want and need that ENHANCE the game.

With that being said....if this "forces" yatzr and Bob to "give us more"...then we all win, right?  :)
12/1/2012 8:56 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Update News - Position Roles/Depth Charts Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.