How each possession is determined.... Topic

In your mind, does the offensive set and tempo also affect (alongside position) the weighting of passing in the event tree? If it does, I think we're probably saying six and half-dozen and getting to the same spot.
2/11/2017 11:42 PM
This is a from the FAQ (some edits are made). It's # 582
  1. We determine who has the ball......this use distro, defensive matchup and settings
  2. Now that we have picked a player, we must determine what he will do with the ball. There are three things he can do: turn the ball over (3), shoot (5) or be fouled (4).
  3. If a player has committed a turnover, he may have committed a ball-handling mistake, poor pass or offensive foul. The percentage chance that an offensive foul has occurred is relative his actual personal foul rate. This is figured into the chance in the previous section. Ball-handling and passing turnovers each use a fixed percentage of the remaining chance that is based on historical averages for these turnovers. If it is one of these two types of turnovers there is a chance for a steal. This chance is based on the defenders and is relative the steal weighting used in the decision above. If a steal has occurred, there is a chance for a breakaway. Either way, the player who steals the ball is determined after the steal event is known. Each defensive player’s chance for a steal is relative to his contribution to the steal weighting in #2. If no steal has occurred, the ball simply goes to the other team.
  4. A player has been fouled,
2/11/2017 11:44 PM
Posted by pkoopman on 2/11/2017 11:42:00 PM (view original):
In your mind, does the offensive set and tempo also affect (alongside position) the weighting of passing in the event tree? If it does, I think we're probably saying six and half-dozen and getting to the same spot.
I think the set does. Ranked in order of passing weight is:

Motion
Triangle
Flex
Fastbreak

I don't think tempo effects the weight of passing directly. Maybe indirectly because it increases the # of shots. The value of passing in normal tempo is X and it's still X in uptempo but if the number of shots is Y in regular tempo is something like 1.15Y in fast pace sooooo you could say passing is more important in uptempo because the effect is something like XY and 1.2XY....does that make sense?
2/11/2017 11:50 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/11/2017 11:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pkoopman on 2/11/2017 11:42:00 PM (view original):
I think the set does. Ranked in order of passing weight is:

Motion
Triangle
Flex
Fastbreak

I don't think tempo effects the weight of passing directly. Maybe indirectly because it increases the # of shots. The value of passing in normal tempo is X and it's still X in uptempo but if the number of shots is Y in regular tempo is something like 1.15Y in fast pace sooooo you could say passing is more important in uptempo because the effect is something like XY and 1.2XY....does that make sense?
Is the set ranking based on your observation, or was that disclosed? I've observed triangle to be the most difficult to operate efficiently without passing, and flex seems to be roughly the same as motion, to my eyes. I seem to recall reading from admins (in chat maybe?) that the fastbreak set defaults to motion when not in break, which led me to believe motion ought to be closer to fastbreak in how attributes are weighted. That assumption could be wrong, of course.
2/12/2017 11:03 AM
I used the information from the hoops 101 guide and annold interview with billy.

I think triangle is most important for the pg but motion is more important for team. Those 2 are 1 and 1a in my book.

you are right about the fastbreak turning into motion but in my experience I have had more success with fast guards than passing guards

switching gears, this is how I think of the offenses:

triangle... the most important stat is weighed more....passing is worth more for PG, per for shooters, lp for post players and since the most important stat is worth more, the "other " cores (ath and speed) are worth less.

flex: speed perimeter and bh are weighed more in all (or most) equations

fastbreak: speed and ath are weighed more

motion: passing and even distro ( I have no idea how this works mathematically) are weighed more
2/12/2017 12:16 PM
Thanks for the thoughts, TJ and koopman. Referencing #582 and Hoops 101 is very useful for anyone who wants to see what WIS says and compare the speculation that has followed from it.
2/12/2017 12:26 PM
keep in mind that some WIS statements are at times inoperative and some have in the past been misleading. I doubt they have changed the core operation of the engine.
2/13/2017 5:59 AM
bump
1/30/2020 12:01 PM
Bump
1/3/2022 12:08 AM
◂ Prev 12
How each possession is determined.... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.