Northern Illinios finishes 15th, heads to Orange Topic

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/pete_thamel/12/02/orange-bowl-northern-illinois/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a2&eref=sihp

12/2/2012 5:50 PM
Oklahoma gets knocked from Sugar to Cotton Bowl. Will play either Texas A&M or LSU.
12/2/2012 6:02 PM
And I hope Northern Illinois gets beat by 40.
12/2/2012 6:03 PM
OK vs TX_AM/LSU could be good, but FLA/LOU + FSU/NI = ugh. They might be good games, but I look forward to them about as much as I loook forward to my next dentist visit. I really wish this BCS **** didn't exist. Put the best damn teams against each other in bowls, regardless of what conference they're in. Why is that so hard?
12/2/2012 6:18 PM
$$$$$$
12/2/2012 6:35 PM
troo

I hope NI beats the overrated Seminoles, which seems plausible to me. Suck it, ACC!
12/2/2012 6:50 PM
It would be awesome, but I don't know that it's plausible.  NIU was pretty horrid outside the MAC: lost to Iowa, had to rally in the 4th quarter to beat terrible Army and Kansas teams.  Boise State and TCU they ain't.  I'm sure there's going to be a massive enthusiasm gap in this game, but I'd be surprised if that's enough.  Stranger things have happened though.
12/2/2012 6:58 PM
A massive enthusiasm gap is just an excuse. Nothing more. If Florida State doesn't want to be there, then don't come & forfeit the game. How about that? They'll show up, though.. They want the $$$ for the game, so they can accept their loss (if that's what happens) & not have an excuse of not being "up for beating up Northern Illinois".

Any team that doesn't want to be in a BCS game, regardless of who they have to play.. doesn't deserve to be there to begin with. I don't care if that's Florida State, Florida, LSU, Alabama, Oklahoma or any other big school.. You want the $$ for being there, so accept that you may just get upset & deal with it without people making the "poor Florida State, they only got to play Northern Illinois" excuse. No, poor Northern Illinois.. They play in a game where they won't get any credit, regardless of the outcome.
12/2/2012 7:23 PM
No, it's a reality,  I'll give NIU all kinds of credit if they get the job done, especially since I still think they are going to get handled easily, but come on - if you think one team won't be way more excited to play this game than the other one... well, I really don't know what to say.  And I'm not really even talking just opponent here - FSU had national title aspirations, their season is a disappointment for them at this point regardless.  NIU is having the greatest season they could have possibly dreamed of to wind up in the Orange Bowl.
12/2/2012 7:38 PM (edited)
The MAC has pretty decent football. The state of Ohio is deep enough to support a bunch of solid mid-level programs. NI should be able to keep it within 10, assuming there's not too much chaos left by their coach's departure
12/2/2012 7:49 PM

No doubt, Northern Illinois is going to be jacked to be there & will definitely come to play.

Hawaii came hyped to play against Georgia a few years back, too. Georgia did what a school is supposed to do, they went out & clobbered a team that people felt they should clobber. They proved that you can beat a super excited team even if they aren't who you wanted to be playing OR the game you wanted to be playing in at the end of the year. I expect all other big schools to do the same. No excuses.

All big schools hope for the National Title game & sometimes it doesn't work out. That's part of the game. I don't feel sorry for a team that can't handle not going to the National Title game. Florida State should know their place. They're not the powerhouse that they once were. You can't just expect a National Championship game when there's been so many teams ahead of you for years. That's a horrible excuse.

12/2/2012 7:59 PM (edited)
Interestingly although the standings and Bowl Selections are already done this week,. next week when Navy beats Army that will drop NIU in the computers a bit more, but I suppose it wouldn't knock em all the way to 17.

Official now A&M accepts Cotton bowl invite. Probably vs OU

Rest of SEC bowls:

LSU to Chik-fil-A (probably vs Clemson)
Outback = Michigan vs S Carolina
Gator = NW vs Miss St
Capital one = Nebraska vs GA
BBVA Ole Miss vs Pitt
Vandy to Music City (probably vs NC St)

Other interesting match-ups (IMO) on bowls that are official:

Tulsa vs Iowa St
UCLA vs Baylor
Ball St vs UCF
SD St vs BYU

Fiesta should be K St vs Oregon , which was The NCG as of 3 weeks ago, so that should be cool. Orange and Sugar are going to be pretty weak.
I'll be surprised if they don't take a big ratings hit.

12/2/2012 8:07 PM (edited)
I dont hold them to the same standards. They are 18-22 year old men who are not playing for anything in particular. Hell Florida St. doesnt even get the benifit of traveling somewhere fun.
12/2/2012 7:56 PM
Alamo isn't official but if it does turn out to be Texas vs Oregon St, that should be a good game.
Las Vegas is slated to be Boise vs Washington. Boise has accepted Washington isn't official yet.

Very few of the other bowls interest me at all.

12/2/2012 8:12 PM
NIU played by the rules and got in but I would much rather see Oklahoma or one of the other SEC teams play Florida State.
12/2/2012 11:48 PM
12 Next ▸
Northern Illinios finishes 15th, heads to Orange Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.