9-3 Louisiana Tech = No Bowl Game Topic

All that being said, simply waiting for the rankings to be final wouldn't get the job done in terms of avoiding something like this, though it would help.  The NCAA would have to step in and manage the whole process.  The BCS bowls would have the make their picks, and then all the bowls with conference tie-ins would have to make theirs, and then there would still probably have to be an order established for filling the remaining spots.
12/4/2012 9:38 PM
The less power the NCAA has, the better.  No one is shedding a tear because LA Tech shot themselves in the foot, beside Karl Malone.
12/4/2012 9:57 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely not advocating for that, just stating what would have to be done to make it totally "fair."   And it's never going to happen.  The NCAA let this one go a long time ago, and if they tried to take any real control back at this point, they'd likely find themselves without anything to govern in short order, because the big-time conferences would head out on their own.
12/4/2012 10:14 PM
Right.

Al: "What happened here was that you had several bowls (Liberty and Independence among them) that were at the bottom of a conference pick chain and knew just by numbers that they weren't going to get a team from their tie-in, so they were free to offer invites to any eligible team without a tie-in."

Pretty much explains it all and HAS NOTHING to do with rankings. There weren't going to be enough bowl eligible teams from the ACC nor the SEC regardless of rankings. Period.

Bigger travesty IMO, is MTSU getting shafted.

Motor City Bowl selected W Kentucky instead of MTSU, although MTSU beat W Kentucky on the road. MTSU also beat GA Tech on the road. Clearly the better team and better resume.
12/4/2012 10:15 PM
Posted by gregsimon on 12/4/2012 10:15:00 PM (view original):
Right.

Al: "What happened here was that you had several bowls (Liberty and Independence among them) that were at the bottom of a conference pick chain and knew just by numbers that they weren't going to get a team from their tie-in, so they were free to offer invites to any eligible team without a tie-in."

Pretty much explains it all and HAS NOTHING to do with rankings. There weren't going to be enough bowl eligible teams from the ACC nor the SEC regardless of rankings. Period.

Bigger travesty IMO, is MTSU getting shafted.

Motor City Bowl selected W Kentucky instead of MTSU, although MTSU beat W Kentucky on the road. MTSU also beat GA Tech on the road. Clearly the better team and better resume.
Did you stop reading there?  That's only half of it.  The fact that those bowls had openings didn't have anything to do with the rankings, correct.  The fact that Iowa State, who took the spot La Tech thought they had in the Liberty, was ultimately available had EVERYTHING to do with the rankings.  If NIU doesn't wind up in the Top 16, OK goes to the BCS and Iowa State is in a Big 12 affiliated bowl.  The Big 12 had more bowl-eligible teams than tie-ins because of how the final rankings turned out.
12/4/2012 10:25 PM (edited)
Posted by stinenavy on 12/4/2012 9:57:00 PM (view original):
The less power the NCAA has, the better.  No one is shedding a tear because LA Tech shot themselves in the foot, beside Karl Malone.
Can't say I'm crying over it, but I'd definitely rather see the kids on LA_TECH play a bowl game than see a gaylord team like WIS get a premiere bowl game, or see ****-tastic GA_TECH (6-7) in a bowl. LA_TECH kids played hard all year, went 9-3, and it's a real shame that their season has been abruptly cut short, largely due to a 'ripple effect' caused by uncertainty in BCS rankings. Their AD was trying to do what was best for the school (in terms of $$, sure, but also in terms of tv, opponent, pride etc) but lost out on a calculated risk. Totally ***** over every kid on that team, especially the seniors, most of whom will never play football again. I wish the NCAA would do something about this, even something as simple as 'the best x teams, determined by WPCT, are bowl eligible' instead of the current 6-win mark, or 'no bowls may offer bids until all rankings are finalized' or whatever - point is, do something.

MTSU got the shaft, too. I wish the 'crud' teams would split off from the 'BCS' conferences and form their own championship. That'd be a lot better than pretending they're all playing for the same thing.
12/5/2012 12:07 AM
Good idea except for the $$$ part.    Who's still playing in the FCS?   There you have it. 
12/5/2012 8:52 AM
BTW, your idea is probably closer to fruition than you think.     Soon enough, there will be 4-6 "major" conferences of 16 teams.  SEC, B1G and PAC# will lead the way.   The B12, ACC and desperate Big East are doing their best to remain relevant.   My guess is the B12 will be the 4th.   That's roughly half of all FBS teams in 4 conferences.   If Clemson, FSU and Miami find homes in the other 4, the ACC is left without a "football" school.  I'm not sure the Big East has a football school left(in part because I don't know who's still there after 2012-2013).     They're probably better served as "basketball" schools anyway. 

So why would those big 4 even want to let another of those conferences in on their bowl money?   
12/5/2012 8:58 AM
I don't get how they're not in a bowl game (I get their own ignorance/arrogance)...but they're 9-3 and we're ranked a few weeks throughout the season...there are at least 35 bowl games, which means 70 of 124 FBS teams get Field Day ribbons, and they aren't one of them?  Wow....

I'm going to the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl most likely, and would rather see them than perhaps the local Central Michigan team

12/7/2012 10:17 PM
Georgia Tech gets the Sun Bowl with a losing record?  Get the ****...out...I believe they're only the second team in bowl history to make a bowl game with a losing record...the other was North Texas in 2001?  Am I missing any?
12/7/2012 10:21 PM
UCLA last season
12/8/2012 11:14 AM
Posted by stinenavy on 12/8/2012 11:14:00 AM (view original):
UCLA last season
yep.  when you make a conference title game at 6-6 if you lose you are still bowl eligible since conference title games are "post-season" games.
12/8/2012 11:48 AM
The fact that 6-6 teams are making CC games routinely, is pathetic...Wisconsin had no business being in the Big 10 Title game, despite blowing out Nebraska...easiest road to a CC ever...4-4 in conference...gtfo
12/8/2012 1:41 PM
Posted by colonels19 on 12/8/2012 1:41:00 PM (view original):
The fact that 6-6 teams are making CC games routinely, is pathetic...Wisconsin had no business being in the Big 10 Title game, despite blowing out Nebraska...easiest road to a CC ever...4-4 in conference...gtfo
It's happened twice in the last 2 years, but I'd hardly call it routine.  I don't think a 6-6 team has ever been the actual division champion, there's just been teams that either through NCAA sanctions or self-imposed postseason bans couldn't play in the CC. Same with Wisconsin.  I'm not really sure what you do there short of cancelling the title game and declaring the other division winner the champion, but obviously that's never going to happen.
12/8/2012 2:01 PM
Wisconisn finished 3rd in their division. Ohio St and Penn St's behavior let Wisconsin in...

That said why do they not wait for all regualar season and conference championship games to be played before doing these invites?
12/8/2012 3:11 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
9-3 Louisiana Tech = No Bowl Game Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.