Posted by gvsujulius on 1/1/2013 2:37:00 AM (view original):
I started this pretty recently and although it took me a long time to get my first... I just won my 2nd title, this time D3 tark. My question is, do certain worlds and certain divisions get viewed differently for winning a title? Or is a title a title mo matter where it is won?

My titles are phelan d3 and tark d3, any difference?
The difference is only in the competition and how you got there. Did you dominate or get on a lucky run? etc. etc. Bottom line is... that number in your username that counts national titles is just a number - it's the people you play with that know how good [or not] you are.
1/2/2013 7:26 AM
Good Lord.  I have been doing this for over 3 years and I think I have one or two sweet sixteens and two PIT titles in D3.  My overall win percentage is pretty good, but I am mainly in a D3 conference with a couple of human coaches.  I have made it a point to get better at D and ATh, but it really isn't paying off much. To date my biggest accomplishments have been upsetting Pumphead at UW Stout a few times.  I probably need to spend some time game planning if I really want to do anything impressive.
1/2/2013 12:31 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 1/2/2013 3:16:00 AM (view original):
On that note, I would assume that just by the sheer number of titles he's won that Oldresorter has probably won at the most different schools.  I've got 12 titles under 3 ID's but have won those 12 at 10 different schools (continuing the theme a bit, I've also won with all 3 defenses and 3 of the 4 offenses, no FB titles.  1 D3 title, 9 D2 titles, and 2 D1 titles for anyone wondering.  Also 11 NT title game losses, so I'm barely above break even there).  I know Daalter/Girt stated that he had won at several different schools also.  Anyone else care to chime in with some "numbers of different schools taken to a title"?

And yes, that is most definitely a "look at me, look at me" post.
ive won 3 d3 titles at 2 different schools, 9 d2 titles at 1 school (but i never played any other d2 school for very long), and 7 d1 titles at... well, its 3 schools, but i left one, came back like, years later, and won again. it was definitely a different situation (most particularly, JJ at texas and me at a&m battled to the death every single season). so either 6 or 7 for me, depends how you count it. the only school ive ever coached at for a long time (10 seasons or so), and not won one, is my first program, wesley in d3 tark. but south carolina in tark is quickly getting there - although i think thats a pretty damn tough place to win, with the ACC being so strong. so i can live with that :)

i tend to agree OR has to have won at the most programs. i still dont understand how the hell he coaches 10 teams and they are pretty much all some of the best programs in the world. outside of recruiting, there are not many coaches who are better than me at anything (or else id never have won 5 titles in 9 seasons in d1 as a total rookie recruiter), but OR has a magical ability to make his teams great with the set and forget method, that i simply cannot even fathom. its pretty amazing, really.
1/2/2013 1:01 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 1/2/2013 1:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by emy1013 on 1/2/2013 3:16:00 AM (view original):
On that note, I would assume that just by the sheer number of titles he's won that Oldresorter has probably won at the most different schools.  I've got 12 titles under 3 ID's but have won those 12 at 10 different schools (continuing the theme a bit, I've also won with all 3 defenses and 3 of the 4 offenses, no FB titles.  1 D3 title, 9 D2 titles, and 2 D1 titles for anyone wondering.  Also 11 NT title game losses, so I'm barely above break even there).  I know Daalter/Girt stated that he had won at several different schools also.  Anyone else care to chime in with some "numbers of different schools taken to a title"?

And yes, that is most definitely a "look at me, look at me" post.
ive won 3 d3 titles at 2 different schools, 9 d2 titles at 1 school (but i never played any other d2 school for very long), and 7 d1 titles at... well, its 3 schools, but i left one, came back like, years later, and won again. it was definitely a different situation (most particularly, JJ at texas and me at a&m battled to the death every single season). so either 6 or 7 for me, depends how you count it. the only school ive ever coached at for a long time (10 seasons or so), and not won one, is my first program, wesley in d3 tark. but south carolina in tark is quickly getting there - although i think thats a pretty damn tough place to win, with the ACC being so strong. so i can live with that :)

i tend to agree OR has to have won at the most programs. i still dont understand how the hell he coaches 10 teams and they are pretty much all some of the best programs in the world. outside of recruiting, there are not many coaches who are better than me at anything (or else id never have won 5 titles in 9 seasons in d1 as a total rookie recruiter), but OR has a magical ability to make his teams great with the set and forget method, that i simply cannot even fathom. its pretty amazing, really.
I will echo amazement at OR and how he runs all those teams and has them chugging along. For the numbers breakdown, I've got 1 D3, 6 D2 (at 4 different schools) and 7 D1 (also 4 different schools). I've won w/ triangle, motion and flex; and man, press and a man/press combo.
1/2/2013 2:56 PM
From the front page:

That's a lot :)

Recent Champs

User Sport Titles
gmckel GD DIA 7
fakelouholtz GD DII 6
rowlfie_bear GD DIAA 5
geauxdaddy GD DIII 1
yoker70 HBD 9
tragedy HBD 1
oldresorter HD DI 32
kmasonbx HD DI 6
jsajsa HD DIII 3
z0601 HD DII 2
gvsujulius HD DIII 2
phalla HD DII 1
SophieGiants MLB 35
houseofbayne MLB 22
cholatse MLB 9
jholme44 MLB 5
jaxsox79 MLB 4
cbaltz_ca MLB 3
jackson33 MLB 3
bench5 MLB 3
appleseed1 NBA 9
1/2/2013 3:11 PM
The things I've never done that I want to do is run the table and win NCOY in D1. Would definitely like to do both. Obviously running the table is really hard at any level but even moreso when you only have D1 teams. I've had a #1 pick, 2 I think, had a guy end his career as the D1 leading scorer in Phelan which was really cool, although he didn't hold on to that for very long.
1/2/2013 3:18 PM
Posted by uwrjl93 on 1/2/2013 12:31:00 PM (view original):
Good Lord.  I have been doing this for over 3 years and I think I have one or two sweet sixteens and two PIT titles in D3.  My overall win percentage is pretty good, but I am mainly in a D3 conference with a couple of human coaches.  I have made it a point to get better at D and ATh, but it really isn't paying off much. To date my biggest accomplishments have been upsetting Pumphead at UW Stout a few times.  I probably need to spend some time game planning if I really want to do anything impressive.
You're doing fine. Bear in mind that you're hearing from some of the absolutely elite coaches in the game on this thread. For most coaches, you slowly progress through your goals - making the PT for the first time, then the NT, then trying to do some damage in the NT. It took me well over 1500 games before I won my first (and only) title.
1/3/2013 8:40 AM
it took me six d1 seasons to get my first d1 NT game win (making the 2nd round), so even for elite coaches, things take time. i didn't make it past the s16 anywhere for over a year and a few months, playing multiple teams. you've got to walk before you run! i remember my first really good team, we got the 2nd 1 seed in my 5th season, and we lost in the 2nd round to a -5 slowdown. i was crushed, but it was good - gave me motivation to keep pushing to be better. i think if i got lucky and won my first title quickly, i wouldnt have been motivated to work so fricken hard at understanding the sim engine, so i could win more. to this day, i think the best thing for my coaching career was that my first couple good teams got bad luck in the NT, which made me want it that much more. so it definitely can cut both ways, its not only a bad thing to get a slower start than you'd hope. 

ill also mention that one of the most fun teams i had in 3 years, i coached for a little under a year, playing sets i didnt know, and we sucked most of the time. in my last season, id finally figured it out, and got to the elite 8. we might have made rd2 before than but maybe it was nothing. i loved that team. i had a team win a title around the same time but i didnt give two ***** about that team. there is a lot more to this game than winning championships! a lot of great coaches forgo titles to take on a challenge of rebuilding a mid major conference, or to try something they dont know - maybe if you are a killer motion/man coach, you pick up a fb/zone team. the total # of titles coaches have won is really not a very consistent reflection of how good of coaches they are. there are coaches who never played more than 1 team, who have 0, 1, or 2 titles - but they really are better coaches than some guys who played 3- 4 teams for a longer period and maybe have 3-5 titles. there are coaches who get in tough situations and do everything they can do try to win there, even though they could EASILY go somewhere with fewer challenges, and probably would win a title or two instead of 0 in that really tough spot. context is everything, some titles come 10 times easier than others. those guys playing in the ball buster d3 wooden titles could win a hell of a lot easier going somewhere else, but they don't. girt could have more titles by now, but instead he went on a mission to rebuild CUSA in rupp, leading a great group of coaching on the effort, every one of which would have a HELL of a lot better chance of winning a title elsewhere (many of whom are winning titles elsewhere, that is a killer bunch). but they don't go, and hopefully, those guys are having more fun this way. 

so, some coaches will focus on winning titles, others on just having fun - my guess is the latter group is the one who has more fun. i focused only on winning titles for my first couple years, and it basically ruined the game for me, i only stuck around because i enjoyed the HD community so much, but i grew to hate playing the game. so, i would highly recommend to anyone, have fun with it, and dont worry about what some guy on the forums, who never played with you, thinks of your coaching abilities. just have fun with it, keep trying new things and keeping things fresh. if you get too focused on winning, you can lose a lot of the fun of the game. i am not saying not to care about winning, everyone cares, and it always stings when a good team underachieves. but if that is all you care about, losing early in the NT can ruin the whole experience, and its bad to let it get that far. take pride in the small steps along the way, and just enjoy each player you fall in love with, enjoy the teams and conferences you fall in love with, thats the way to do it.
1/3/2013 3:13 PM (edited)
Posted by gillispie2 on 1/3/2013 3:13:00 PM (view original):
it took me six d1 seasons to get my first d1 NT game win (making the 2nd round), so even for elite coaches, things take time. i didn't make it past the s16 anywhere for over a year and a few months, playing multiple teams. you've got to walk before you run! i remember my first really good team, we got the 2nd 1 seed in my 5th season, and we lost in the 2nd round to a -5 slowdown. i was crushed, but it was good - gave me motivation to keep pushing to be better. i think if i got lucky and won my first title quickly, i wouldnt have been motivated to work so fricken hard at understanding the sim engine, so i could win more. to this day, i think the best thing for my coaching career was that my first couple good teams got bad luck in the NT, which made me want it that much more. so it definitely can cut both ways, its not only a bad thing to get a slower start than you'd hope. 

ill also mention that one of the most fun teams i had in 3 years, i coached for a little under a year, playing sets i didnt know, and we sucked most of the time. in my last season, id finally figured it out, and got to the elite 8. we might have made rd2 before than but maybe it was nothing. i loved that team. i had a team win a title around the same time but i didnt give two ***** about that team. there is a lot more to this game than winning championships! a lot of great coaches forgo titles to take on a challenge of rebuilding a mid major conference, or to try something they dont know - maybe if you are a killer motion/man coach, you pick up a fb/zone team. the total # of titles coaches have won is really not a very consistent reflection of how good of coaches they are. there are coaches who never played more than 1 team, who have 0, 1, or 2 titles - but they really are better coaches than some guys who played 3- 4 teams for a longer period and maybe have 3-5 titles. there are coaches who get in tough situations and do everything they can do try to win there, even though they could EASILY go somewhere with fewer challenges, and probably would win a title or two instead of 0 in that really tough spot. context is everything, some titles come 10 times easier than others. those guys playing in the ball buster d3 wooden titles could win a hell of a lot easier going somewhere else, but they don't. girt could have more titles by now, but instead he went on a mission to rebuild CUSA in rupp, leading a great group of coaching on the effort, every one of which would have a HELL of a lot better chance of winning a title elsewhere (many of whom are winning titles elsewhere, that is a killer bunch). but they don't go, and hopefully, those guys are having more fun this way. 

so, some coaches will focus on winning titles, others on just having fun - my guess is the latter group is the one who has more fun. i focused only on winning titles for my first couple years, and it basically ruined the game for me, i only stuck around because i enjoyed the HD community so much, but i grew to hate playing the game. so, i would highly recommend to anyone, have fun with it, and dont worry about what some guy on the forums, who never played with you, thinks of your coaching abilities. just have fun with it, keep trying new things and keeping things fresh. if you get too focused on winning, you can lose a lot of the fun of the game. i am not saying not to care about winning, everyone cares, and it always stings when a good team underachieves. but if that is all you care about, losing early in the NT can ruin the whole experience, and its bad to let it get that far. take pride in the small steps along the way, and just enjoy each player you fall in love with, enjoy the teams and conferences you fall in love with, thats the way to do it.
That is really, really good advice.  I often find myself in the "if I don't win the NT, I'm gonna quit" mindset when I have an elite team (which seems to be happening less and less lately).  I just gave up my dream job at Duke in Tark because it started to feel more like work than a game, literally.  The "pressure" I felt while "coaching" at that school made the game a job and not the least bit fun anymore, so I gave it up after 30 or so seasons.  Thought I would regret it and for a few hours I did, but that passed rather quickly.  My best friend was killed in a motorcycle accident about a year and a half ago and whenever I find myself getting ****** off about something in this game, I think about how his 5 year old son had lost his father and it kind of put things back into their proper perspective pretty quickly, you know?
1/3/2013 7:15 PM
◂ Prev 123

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.