Defending the All Pass Offense Topic

Ok, here goes...hopefully a topic that will generate some good discussion.

I'm only playing D3 and D2, but over the last 6-10 seasons, it appears that many teams have gone away from balanced offense to a 100% passing attack (or close to it).

When facing this kind of team (Shotgun, Trips, and/or Pro Set) what is the best overall approach regarding the type of PLAYER you recruit?

In particular, how much influence do you put on great DLs who can put pressure on...vs great DBs who can cover?  CBs vs S?

I have improved my DBs quite a bit over the last few seasons and it appears to be paying off.  I have also started playing more Dime instead of my former approach of 100% Nickel vs Shotgun and Trips passing.

Its a fairly wide open question...so lets get some good discussion going.
12/11/2012 9:10 AM
When coaches play against my passing offenses I often advise them to recruit the Worst db's they can find. 
        After all,  "Anyone" can win if you have the "best" talent.  But how great a coach would you be  to win with terrible players ! ?
                   ("Yah ! Let me hear it for this strategy guys !")
12/11/2012 10:13 AM
I've had pretty good success defending it. You need a lot of DBs. I keep 9-10 DBs on my roster because the pass offenses try to wear down those DBs and get big plays later in the game. Obviously put always pass as your setting.
12/11/2012 10:17 AM
Posted by ahrens on 12/11/2012 10:17:00 AM (view original):
I've had pretty good success defending it. You need a lot of DBs. I keep 9-10 DBs on my roster because the pass offenses try to wear down those DBs and get big plays later in the game. Obviously put always pass as your setting.
On Defense, your Tendency (Always Pass, Heavy Pass, etc.) has more to do with how far off the line your guys are playing than what you expect the Offense to do.
12/11/2012 11:09 AM
Posted by mgm0461 on 12/11/2012 11:09:00 AM (view original):
On Defense, your Tendency (Always Pass, Heavy Pass, etc.) has more to do with how far off the line your guys are playing than what you expect the Offense to do.
That is no longer the case.
12/11/2012 1:27 PM
Even if it was.. playing further off the line would make it more difficult to pass
12/11/2012 1:42 PM
I believe this is STILL true...with the theory that being further off the line, it makes for better defense against the pass.  Norbert explained it a little different, but I think it equates to same thing.

My theory is that if you have SPEED at DB, then you can play closer to the line (pass, balanced, or even run) vs having to play off the line (always pass or heavy pass) all the time.
12/11/2012 2:18 PM
Posted by mojolad on 12/11/2012 10:13:00 AM (view original):
When coaches play against my passing offenses I often advise them to recruit the Worst db's they can find. 
        After all,  "Anyone" can win if you have the "best" talent.  But how great a coach would you be  to win with terrible players ! ?
                   ("Yah ! Let me hear it for this strategy guys !")
This sounds really good...but just doesn't feel right....you know what I mean?  Just have that weird feeling that something is wrong with this strategy.  LOL
12/11/2012 2:20 PM
Posted by zharkins on 12/11/2012 1:27:00 PM (view original):
That is no longer the case.
Since when?  That's how I still game-plan.  But maybe I'm wrong.
12/11/2012 3:28 PM
Norbert posted on the board in the last couple of months that it was the aggressiveness setting that put your guys off/on the line, not the tendency.
12/11/2012 3:38 PM
Posted by brocal on 12/11/2012 3:38:00 PM (view original):
Norbert posted on the board in the last couple of months that it was the aggressiveness setting that put your guys off/on the line, not the tendency.
Cool.  I'd love to see that quote if anybody has a link.  Thanks.
12/11/2012 3:40 PM

It has always been:

Tendency = distance the LB and DBs are off the line
Aggressiveness = blitz/rout jumping frequency

From the FAQ

The set is the defensive formation. The tendency is what the defense is looking for or leaning towards -- pass or run. For example, if a heavy run tendency is chosen, then the defensive players are pulled up closer to the line of scrimmage to try and stop the run but potentially leaves the defense open to a big passing play. The style is the overall style of play for the defense -- the more aggressive this setting is, the more often the defense will blitz, jump passing routes for interceptions, etc. The more conservative the setting, the more likely the defense will hang back in coverage. The red zone settings work the same way, but are used when defending inside the 20.

If someone is playing a conservative passing game, they will eat up your always pass defense; while if you play always run, a speedy WR will run right by the DB.

12/11/2012 4:48 PM
Harry Harris, did you move up to D1AA yet?
12/11/2012 5:11 PM
Not yet. Had to beat babcicks butt first.
12/11/2012 5:19 PM
Posted by kcwallace on 12/11/2012 4:49:00 PM (view original):

It has always been:

Tendency = distance the LB and DBs are off the line
Aggressiveness = blitz/rout jumping frequency

From the FAQ

The set is the defensive formation. The tendency is what the defense is looking for or leaning towards -- pass or run. For example, if a heavy run tendency is chosen, then the defensive players are pulled up closer to the line of scrimmage to try and stop the run but potentially leaves the defense open to a big passing play. The style is the overall style of play for the defense -- the more aggressive this setting is, the more often the defense will blitz, jump passing routes for interceptions, etc. The more conservative the setting, the more likely the defense will hang back in coverage. The red zone settings work the same way, but are used when defending inside the 20.

If someone is playing a conservative passing game, they will eat up your always pass defense; while if you play always run, a speedy WR will run right by the DB.

according to that FAQ.. you could play always pass conservative.. and it would make it very difficult to pass against and only allow short passes (which at that point I think the WR SPD/ELU vs the DB SPD/TKL would probably become a major factor)
12/11/2012 5:33 PM
12 Next ▸
Defending the All Pass Offense Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.