D3, Season 63 Topic

Posted by brianxavier on 1/18/2013 1:31:00 PM (view original):
Nice reference:

"Scott Buganski with 20 points an 0 invisible girlfriends for Catholic" (I corrected the "Cetholic" typo in my cut and paste)
I figured I'd throw an easter egg in there for anyone who actually bothered to read the whole thing ;)
1/18/2013 2:06 PM
Posted by brianxavier on 1/18/2013 1:31:00 PM (view original):
Nice reference:

"Scott Buganski with 20 points an 0 invisible girlfriends for Catholic" (I corrected the "Cetholic" typo in my cut and paste)
+1
1/18/2013 5:12 PM
To paraphrase late night comedians, "he wasn't playing bad defense out there...he was just hugging his girlfriend a lot."
1/18/2013 6:05 PM
My National Championship is within site. I've begun to marinade it. 99 more seasons of slow roasting in the Rupp smoker should do the trick.
1/19/2013 10:47 AM
Round 2 recap
The Sweet 16 is set!

Midwest Region — Johnson and Wales holds Union to 33 percent shooting and forces 25 turnovers in a 100-49 beatdown that’s illegal in at least three states. Allen Woods with 28 points in the win. Louisiana built a 10-point halftime lead, lost it all in the first six minutes of the second half and didn’t panic to advance 86-76 past Defiance. Vernon Toohey with 20 points off the bench for Louisiana. In the upset of the night, 11-seed Webster goes off for 99 points for the second game in a row to drop Whittier 99-89. Steven Cameron with 23 points for Webster. Ronald Frank adds an additional 20 in 13 minutes off the bench. UMass Dartmouth grabbed a 39-29 rebounding advantage despite a sagging Lynchburg squad as they pulled away in the second half for an 89-79 win. Richard Ross with a tournament-high 35 points for UMD.
Tonight’s games: 1. Johnson and Wales v. 4. Louisiana, 11. Webster v. 2. UMass Dartmouth

East Region — Man down! Top seeded North Carolina Wesleyan fell behind 8 seed Emory by 10 in the second half, fought back to grab a lead, then failed to score in the final 1:40 to fall 63-62. Jonathan Johnson scored the last two of his 21 points with 16 seconds to play to give Emory the lead again. NCWC missed a shot with 10 seconds remaining, then, having been guilty of just three second-half fouls to that point, was unable to hack Emory enough times to force a free throw attempt before time expired. CSU Eastbay turned the ball over just nine times and held Newbury to 40 percent shooting as they ejected an Evil Empire member 67-58. GNE schools had been 7-0 in round 1. Martin Luther kept it close and kept it interesting against Texas Lutheran, but it was TL advancing by a 71-63 count despite pulling down just 19 rebounds in the game. Ursinus, the 7 seed, used an early 9-0 run in the second half to take the lead in its game against Suffolk, then built that lead to as many as 13 points at one stage, only to watch Suffolk charge back to tie the game with 1:50. Coach barjaz, the division’s winningest NT coach, didn’t blink and pulled out a 64-62 upset victory.
Tonight’s games: 8. Emory v. 4. CSU Eastbay, 3. Texas Lutheran v. 7. Ursinus

South Region — Susquehanna trailed by four at the half, but roared past Greensboro 76-63 at game’s end, thanks in part to a 9-for-18 showing from 3-point territory and 20 points from Mark Schmidt. Next up for them is Rivier, which bottled up Wooster 51-41 last night. And it’s really hard to grab anything to call a highlight from that game, so lets move on. South Vermont forced 10 second-half turnovers to climb back from a five-point halftime shortfall to win 60-57 over Southwestern. Kurt Burns’ 3-point try with a second remaining clanged away for Southwestern. US Merchant Marine forced 24 turnovers and shot 51 percent to hand Catholic its first loss of the season 76-56.
Tonight’s games: 1. Susquehanna v. 5. Rivier, 6. S. Vermont v. 2. Merchant Marines.

West Region — In the No-Doz division where defenses ruled round 1, it was Colorado and Emmanuel combining to take just 73 shots in the entire game as Colorado rocked the top-seed to sleep 49-39. By contrast, Hardin-Simmons’ Thomas Rivera had 31 points all on his own to lead his team to a 79-73 win over Calvin. Penn St. Altoona used defense to hold Emerson to six buckets in the second half of a 63-50 victory. Emerson’s Bob Neely with a Polish double-double of 17 points and 10 turnovers in the game. Willaim Cowherd with the more traditional 16 points and 10 boards for the victors from PSA. Ozarks goes big in the first half on Piedmont to cruise to a 79-64 victory. Lester Hart with 21 off the bench for the 2-seed.
Tonight’s games: 8. Colorado v. 4. Hardin-Simmons, 3. Penn St. Altoona v. 2. Ozarks.

Thoughts from the masses? 

1/19/2013 11:19 AM
I've thought JW and Susquehanna to be the class of d3 all year. That said, I was surprised to see the other two # 1 go down this early. The only game I'm intrigued by this round is the Sus / Rivier game. The rest seem to have an expected outcome.
1/19/2013 11:50 AM
Few upsets in round 2 compared to a relatively chalk first round... Webster made a real nice run to the final four 2 seasons ago - can they do it again? 

After being the victim of an upset last season, Colorado returns the favor this year - which I am sure is a great feeling for coach bdpoor. 

Back to back seasons with Emory outplaying their seeding (last year elite 8 as a 12 seed)!

UAA is 7-1 after 2 rounds... but huge uphill battles in this round as there are never any pretenders in the Sweet 16.

It's hard not to see Johnson and Wales bringing home the title once again this year. 

1/19/2013 11:56 AM
ditto sublightd - Susquehanna looks to be the best chance of knocking off J&W in my humble opinion....
1/19/2013 8:43 PM
Crazy night.  This is the year of the 4-seed...
1/20/2013 9:41 AM
Well my team won its first CT title and made its first NIT appearence in school history! Now we have to build off that!
1/20/2013 10:13 AM
Thanks darnoc, thanks for pointing out all the 4 seeds making the elite eight.

Hey pseudo, weren't you a 4 seed too?  How come you're not in the elite eight?

Boooooooooooooooo!
1/20/2013 10:16 AM
Posted by pseudochamp on 1/20/2013 10:16:00 AM (view original):
Thanks darnoc, thanks for pointing out all the 4 seeds making the elite eight.

Hey pseudo, weren't you a 4 seed too?  How come you're not in the elite eight?

Boooooooooooooooo!
Whoops.  Actually thought Rivier was the 4.  But that's right...you lost.  And let the NCAC down.  Thanks  
1/20/2013 11:40 AM
Sweet Sixteen recap

Midwest Region — By far, the upset of the night was turned in as Louisiana drop-kicked powerhouse Johnson and Wales to the curb 77-68. Johnnie Hester had 16 points and 12 rebounds as Louisiana fought it’s way back from 14 points down with 13 minutes remaining to stun defending national champion JW. Their “reward” is to now face UMass Dartmouth, which ended Webster’s dreams of a Cinderella run as the 11 seed with a 72-61 win. Webster missed the memo to come out of the halftime locker room, allowing UMD to open the period on a 12-0 run, and that was all she wrote. Richard Ross with 20 points in the win.
Regional FInal game: 4. Louisiana v. 2. UMass Dartmouth

East Region — CSU Eastbay was cruising along comfortably in its game against Emory until it decided to hit just 4 points over the final 6:06 of the contest. That allowed Emory to claw closer, although a 3-point basket with one second to play left the final score a little closer than the actual margin. Random factoid...only 12 free throws were shot in this game, which I’m going to guess has to be one of the lowest counts of the Rupp season. They will now face Ursinus as the 7-seed knocked my call to win it all, Texas Lutheran, from the dance. Ursinus trailed by as many as seven in the second half, but took the lead for good with 3:10 remaining, part of a late 8-0 run that tipped the tide of the contest. Bill Johnson with 23 points.
Regional Final game: 4. CSU Eastbay v. 7. Ursinus

South Region — Rivier held Susquehanna to just five first-half baskets and 37 percent overall shooting in a 58-49 win that ensured that all No. 1 seeds would be playing spectator in the Elite Eight. Susquehanna never got closer than three points in the second half as Rivier held its third national tournament opponent to less than 50 points. They’ll draw a familiar opponent in the regional championship as S. Vermont eliminates US Merchant Marines 57-54, denying lynchmob an opportunity to take a team beyond the Sweet 16 and knocking out my entire predicted Final Four. Merchant Marines had two game-tying 3-point attempts miss the mark in the final 12 seconds of the contest and was also denied on a potential game-tying dunk in the final 40 seconds of the game. For those curious, S. Vermont swept Rivier in both their regular season games, owning wins of 50-49 and 60-54.
Regional Final game: 5. Rivier v. 6. S. Vermont

West Region — Hardin-Simmons forced 18 turnovers and pulled away late from Colorado in a 74-63 victory. Thomas Rivera and Peter Hansen combined for 35 points in the victory for Hardin-Simmons. Penn St. Altoona held Ozarks to 40.5 percent shooting and menaced the school into 20 turnovers in a 68-57 victory. Nathaniel Frederick with 23 points in the win for PSA.
Regional Final game: 4. Hardin-Simmons v. 3. Penn St. Altoona

This is exactly how everyone’s bracket except for mine looked, right?
1/20/2013 12:13 PM
If you need me, I'll be in the corner.  Curled up in the fetal position, quietly sobbing to myself.
1/20/2013 12:13 PM
Speechless. What the heck happened last night. Someone spiked the Gatorade or spent too much time with their imaginary girlfriend.
1/20/2013 12:17 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
D3, Season 63 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.