Dear Seble Claus, Topic

Increased tracking of former players (stats, ratings, etc).  I keep a separate Excel file, but I'd love to be able to go to the Past Rosters page and see the stats and more information from those teams.

Again, probably a storage issue, but it'd be neat if boxscorers were archived as well & or at least game results from past seasons. 
12/17/2012 1:48 PM
FYI, seble posted this to the Developer Blog this morning. My apologies if someone already forwarded this. Lots of very good ideas on this thread. Have a great Christmas, everyone. From seble:
(ah heck, my copy/paste didn't work - just check the last entry on the blog - at 8:15 today - basically, he's busy and says he hasn't forgotten us, and he appreciate's our patience.)
12/17/2012 3:39 PM
epik
12/17/2012 4:20 PM
Posted by coach_billyg on 12/17/2012 12:38:00 PM (view original):
i just switched my last press team to man here, on account of the problems with the press... so i disagree. my question is this - if the press is too strong - why don't either of you play it? any time i felt something was too strong, i switched, and tried to prove it/use it myself. sometimes it worked, other times it hasn't, but its hard to tell until you try it yourself, what the limitations are and how severely they kick in.
I can tell you why I don't play it and I suspect that Mully and Daalt may have the same reasoning.  I don't play the Press because if and when I win a title, I want it to feel like a legitimate title, like I've actually accomplished something, not because I exploited a flaw in the game.  I've won an NT running a FCP and I must say that it was BY FAR, the easiest title (out of 11.  7 Man, 2 Zone, 1 FCP) that I have ever won.  Not even close.  It was also the most unfulfilling of the bunch.  Not even close.  In fact, because of that, I swore that I'd never even "attempt" to win another title while running that absolute atrocity of a "defense".  It's a joke.

There was an argument a couple of calendar years back about whether a D3 title was worth the same as a D1 title.  Many of the old timers that had won D1 titles didn't feel like a D3 title was the same, essentially arguing that the D3 coaches benefitted by playing against newbies.  Of course, when I pointed out that many of those same coaches had won their coveted D1 titles very early in that world's existence by playing nearly all Sim teams in the D1 tournament, they all got strangely silent.  Well, now I'm gonna take on the role of that grumpy, old D1 coach and say that an NT won a couple of years ago when the press was nuclear powered means far, far less to me than a title won using either one of the legitimate defenses over the same time frame.  Hell, WIS even went so far as to admit that the FCP was too strong and attempted to neuter it as best as they could.  It appeared that they had gotten all three defenses to be performing fairly evenly and then they went ahead and messed it up again, so that once again, the FCP appears to be too strong when compared to the other defenses.

Long story short, again, I suspect that Daalter and Mully haven't switched over to the FCP even though they both think it is too strong simply because they want their titles to feel like they've been earned.  Some of us would rather have a win feel legitimate than instead win by pandering to the whims of a broken engine (and I used to be one of THE most competitive people you could have ever have hoped to meet.  But I don't want to win like that, even if it means that instead of being in the top 5 all-time for HD titles and an HD coaching "legend", that I'm instead somewhere much farther down the list).  I'm sure there are many coaches who feel differently and I'm sure that the vast majority of them probably love the FCP also.  I'm also sure that it's not a coincidence.  To each their own, but that's why "I" don't, and won't, run it.
12/17/2012 4:49 PM
Posted by jskenner on 12/17/2012 3:39:00 PM (view original):
FYI, seble posted this to the Developer Blog this morning. My apologies if someone already forwarded this. Lots of very good ideas on this thread. Have a great Christmas, everyone. From seble:
(ah heck, my copy/paste didn't work - just check the last entry on the blog - at 8:15 today - basically, he's busy and says he hasn't forgotten us, and he appreciate's our patience.)
i'm the one who sent him a ticket. i was really hoping for a bit more, but at least it's something. In a perfect world I'd get some sort of agreement where we get regular updates, even if they're as small as "i'm still alive."
12/17/2012 4:53 PM
Back to the topic at hand:

There's too little variability in player performance within each game.

For example: I have two 90 PER / 80+ SPD guards in D3. They reliably make 40-50% of their 3pt shots every game. They never go 2/10 and never go 7/10. That feels wrong. The good guys should obviously end up with high %ages, but it should be across many attempts, not within each game.
12/17/2012 6:03 PM
Your two shooters actually are remarkably consistent.
12/17/2012 6:33 PM
Posted by stevejones16 on 12/17/2012 6:03:00 PM (view original):
Back to the topic at hand:

There's too little variability in player performance within each game.

For example: I have two 90 PER / 80+ SPD guards in D3. They reliably make 40-50% of their 3pt shots every game. They never go 2/10 and never go 7/10. That feels wrong. The good guys should obviously end up with high %ages, but it should be across many attempts, not within each game.
uh oh. you better delete this before seble reads it!! i think his heart is the in the right place, but he tends to over react to suggestions from the community (except, of course, for my suggestions - which he never takes far enough!! kidding, if that wasn't clear...). the last thing we need is him to make a change to induce more variation :)

although, i totally agree with those who hate feedback - which, steve, is one of the primary things that causes what you are seeing to occur. feedback was added to the game, and applies to things like turnovers, fouls, shots - you don't want a guy who goes 0-5 to be artificially more likely to make his next shot, to even out the randomness, do you? its a totally artificial way to create results, and i really hate that HD has feedback now. the 2nd half comebacks became more common, which i can't really complain about, but it just doesnt feel right to have feedback in there, just on principle. now, i could totally go for something like, a guy with 3 fouls to start the 2nd half, he might have less of a chance of drawing a foul now than 0, because hes playing carefully - but he should also have reduced defensive abilities or something, to offset it, to make it realistic.
12/17/2012 6:37 PM
I totally agree with the idea you mentioned about the defensive player, him playing carefully, but also having reduced ratings as an offset.  100% in agreement.
12/17/2012 6:53 PM
Posted by coachcali on 12/14/2012 12:44:00 (view original):
Hey guys just a personal thought here, sometime some of us coaches get extremely harsh here in our comments. How much of that would you take in RL? If in fact this is not a profit concern for FOX they may only take so much abuse before ending it. Yes, there is alot that can be done to improve the game. Being a 20 yr RL coach and a student of the game, I have as many suggestions and thoughts as anyone. In life one of the most important parts of communication is delivery. Ours is not good at times.

I get as frustrated as anyone. However, I would rather have this game as is than not have it at all. If we didn't have it what would us addicts do? LOL! As a retired RL coach because of health issues, I felt like a part of me was missing. When I found this game it lit me up. It energized me. I now have 4 teams under this ID and under coachvegas44. I sincerely don't know what I would do without it now. 

Perhaps we could be more civil in our requrests. The alternative does not appear to be working. Just a thought for you consideration.
+1 All in all I am happy with my experience. I enjoy the game a lot. Would be nice though if they did take some of these suggestions. There are some great ones, and though I don't know much about programming, many seem like they would be very easy to do - like extend the 6 PM cycle and make it like 24 hours.
12/17/2012 8:44 PM
Hey guys - just wanted to post a quick note to let you know that I am still alive and well. Things have been busy and I don't currently have anything of substance to report for HD. There are some things brewing, but I don't have anything concrete to pass along at this time.

We really appreciate your patience while waiting for updates to the games.

whst s joke!! he doesnt have anything to pass on to us because he doesnt care about HD, IF THINGS HAVE BEEN BUSY,then you would have something for us Seble, your paying customers~!!!!!
12/18/2012 10:14 PM
Pretty sure there is no one here who dislikes Seble more than Willowcards. 
12/18/2012 10:25 PM
Posted by emy1013 on 12/18/2012 10:25:00 PM (view original):
Pretty sure there is no one here who dislikes Seble more than Willowcards. 
well, there were a bunch of guys with greater dislike... but they all quit!
12/19/2012 2:31 AM
btw, how is the much-requested and often-discussed Player Roles working out for everyone?  Great addition to the game, right?
12/19/2012 10:37 AM
Posted by jdno on 12/19/2012 10:37:00 AM (view original):
btw, how is the much-requested and often-discussed Player Roles working out for everyone?  Great addition to the game, right?
+1
12/19/2012 10:40 AM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8 Next ▸
Dear Seble Claus, Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.