Potential/Redshirt/Work Ethic Question Topic

All,

I just signed a PF with a lot a few high-lows and a few high-highs. Problem is he only has a 32 work ethic. I'm trying to figure out if it's ever going to be possible for him to max out. This is on my Bentley team. I think my recruiting is improving and that I did better this class with a C+ prestige than I did when I started (B+).

The problem with this player is that he's the only PF (realistically and list position). I figure that means I need him to a) play significant minutes and b) he won't accept a redshirt. Considering I won't be good, do you think starting him as a freshman would be enough to get his WE up and make him max out by his senior year? Here is a breakdown of the player:

WE: 32
ATH: 28 - High-low
SPD: 29 - High-high
REB: 57 - High-high
DEF: 33 - High-high
SB: 58 - Average
LP: 61 - Low
PER: 33 - Low
BH: 43 - Average
P: 21 - High (not sure if HH or HL)
FT: 62.2% - Low

Is there a way to get this guy to max out without redshirting? Or is there a way to align my roster to get this guy a redshirt? Also, since I'm new at this, will he be more than just a good rebounder and defender? Does his speed, LP, BH make him an offensive threat?

Thanks in advance,

AP

12/12/2012 8:10 PM
If the team is not likely a playoff type team anyway, I say play him as a freshman. The starts will help boost the WE. 
Also, I'm guessing when you say high low you really mean low high - high low is the upper half of low potential (4-6 pts gain)
12/12/2012 9:03 PM
Yes, to clarify, low-high. My bad.

Thanks dac,

12/12/2012 9:05 PM
What I would do is:

1. Play him from the get go (  I think minutes are way more important than starts)
2. Take your 90 or so minutes of practice and do 20 COND, 20 REB, 20 FW, 20 LP and 2's in the rest.
3. The LP will max out by the end of year one or start of year two and then divide those 20 into whatever you think is important.

You probably won't max out his speed but unless you plan on playing him some at the three it isn't a big deal.  His REB will be high enough that it won't really matter.  his DEF will probably get to 65ish (maybe more) and you certainly won't max out passing (but again not a big deal).

In a nut shell, get the REB, ATH, and DEF up first.   I would really only worry about those.
12/12/2012 9:14 PM
Thanks Joe,

If you get a chance, could you look at my Bentley team? Do you think it's bad enough that I have no chance of going anywhere? I was sort of recruiting with the future in mind and was hoping he could be one of the rebounders I need to play zone. Will his spd and bh allow him to score even w/ mediocre LP and ATH?

12/12/2012 9:21 PM
the key is to put 0 exactly into every low category. he might lose a point, maybe even 2 (and 3 is theoretically possible but very unlikely). but for those 3 categories of lows, say you lose 2 points all together, the 13m you save over just keeping them even can get you +10 in other areas. not sure why you (and others) leave out stamina, with it being such a big factor, but id put at least 20 in conditioning and maybe more if i could, and hit reb/def as hard as you can, because they are super important and he can get the most improvement now by hitting those as hard as possible until they are at least medium potential. at least 20m in those 3 categories, if not more.

he is going to be terrible on offense until his ath/spd are a lot higher, so i would try to get that up as much as possible. and if you can redshirt him, thats great. i mostly agree with joe but i dont get the 20m in lp, its low, thats a total waste. id rather put 24 in cond, reb, def, and 5 bh, 13 pass. or whatever.... anyway, eventually, yeah he can do some scoring, but that ath/spd need to at least hit 50 each before he is moderate, and he really needs more to be able to shine.
12/12/2012 10:21 PM
Thanks BG
12/12/2012 10:33 PM
I would redshirt if possible. If you think you're going to be bad regardless, I think it's a total no-brainer. You can start him next season if you want to work on his we. I don't think it's a close question.
12/12/2012 10:41 PM
I don't think the RS is possible b/c he will be the only guy at PF (listed or otherwise on my roster). Is there any chance he accepts the redshirt?
12/13/2012 3:54 PM
I have never had a freshman NOT accept a RS, so I say give it a try. You can always take it off if his WE drops.
12/13/2012 4:17 PM
Posted by aperi on 12/13/2012 3:54:00 PM (view original):
I don't think the RS is possible b/c he will be the only guy at PF (listed or otherwise on my roster). Is there any chance he accepts the redshirt?
He might not because hes higher rated than most of your other incoming recruits but its worth a shot.

As far as your lineup goes I would consider starting Jessup at PF and Oliver at SF.

A question for you as well. Why did you recruit two guards when you will already have 3 returning guards next season and 5 this season, but only 1 big man?

12/13/2012 7:40 PM
Thanks BG. That was my plan, to start jessup at PF and Oliver at SF. I really only recruited one guard this class, the PG Thomas. I thought he was a solid recruit and I would suck this year anyway and needed to build from scratch.

The SG I recruited may be more of a SF and he's ineligible so if he comes he'll be in a different class. Maybe its poor team planning, I'm getting used to things I guess. Seriously though, I need the feedback, even if its harsh.

I count 2 big men in the class, not 1. Do you consider Lacy, listed as PF to actually be a SF? I thought he could play the 4...
12/13/2012 9:00 PM
Posted by aperi on 12/13/2012 9:00:00 PM (view original):
Thanks BG. That was my plan, to start jessup at PF and Oliver at SF. I really only recruited one guard this class, the PG Thomas. I thought he was a solid recruit and I would suck this year anyway and needed to build from scratch.

The SG I recruited may be more of a SF and he's ineligible so if he comes he'll be in a different class. Maybe its poor team planning, I'm getting used to things I guess. Seriously though, I need the feedback, even if its harsh.

I count 2 big men in the class, not 1. Do you consider Lacy, listed as PF to actually be a SF? I thought he could play the 4...
Wasnt clear I meant only 1 returning big man. I personally would have tried to pick up two freshman like you did and then maybe a So or Jr player as well to give you a full compliment of bigs.

Also if Beck is a SF what do you imagine for Townsend? Unless he has high-high rebounding the only spot he can play is SF and even that is a little tough with his low ball handling and passing.

12/13/2012 11:10 PM (edited)
Thanks BG, I  imagined both as SFs and I guess that's the mistake I made here. Although, on the positive side, they are a year apart b/c Beck is an IE. Probably still a mistake of inexperience.

Assuming I can't redhisrt Lacy because of his overall rating and him being the only listed PF, is it possible for him to max out w/ his 32 WE if I started him from day one? He has 3 HHs a HL and 2 Avg...

Thanks again everyone for the input...

12/13/2012 11:45 PM
i thought you were referring to me with the first BG, now i am confused :)
12/14/2012 12:03 AM
12 Next ▸
Potential/Redshirt/Work Ethic Question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.