OT- End of the Big East? Topic

Yep, it's official, the Allen ACC has somehow destroyed the real-life Big East.  

EDIT: Beaten to the joke?  Dammit, kujay...

12/15/2012 8:45 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 12/14/2012 5:05:00 PM (view original):
So how long do they have to be good before they are good?

What I am saying is that Rutgers "has something to offer in the form of football".   I suspect they'll be better 500 most years in the big 10.
I think Rutgers will be very competitive in Big 10 football and may even win a title in a few years.  They're the state university of New Jersey and recruiting should only improve with the Big 10 prestige. 
12/16/2012 3:43 AM
So I saw an article that the Catholic 7 want to add Creighton, Xavier, Dayton, St Louis, and Butler to make a new conference. That would be an awesome basketball conference. From the get go they would be better than the SEC, Big 12, Pac 12, and whatever is left over from the Big East.
12/16/2012 7:23 AM
Posted by alblack56 on 12/16/2012 3:43:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 12/14/2012 5:05:00 PM (view original):
So how long do they have to be good before they are good?

What I am saying is that Rutgers "has something to offer in the form of football".   I suspect they'll be better 500 most years in the big 10.
I think Rutgers will be very competitive in Big 10 football and may even win a title in a few years.  They're the state university of New Jersey and recruiting should only improve with the Big 10 prestige. 
Its a pretty slim chance Rutgers football comes close to a Big 10 title in football. Maybe if Schiano had stayed they might have been a challenger but thats about it.
12/16/2012 7:25 AM
It depends on what you mean by "coming close" to Big 10 title means.

LEADERS DIVISION
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Wisconsin

They'd go at worst 3-3 this season in this division.      Their team this season has been pretty average.  I don't know if they'll ever beat WISCONSIN and OHIO STATE when they are both good  but I think they'll have some  4-2, 5-1 type seasons.

Rutgers isn't as bad as people think they are.

12/16/2012 9:54 AM
Posted by blackdog3377 on 12/16/2012 7:23:00 AM (view original):
So I saw an article that the Catholic 7 want to add Creighton, Xavier, Dayton, St Louis, and Butler to make a new conference. That would be an awesome basketball conference. From the get go they would be better than the SEC, Big 12, Pac 12, and whatever is left over from the Big East.
I'm sorry but that is just not true ...

The SEC has won the NCAA title 3 times in the last 7 seasons.  Both Kentucky and Florida are better than any of those teams in the last 10 years.

It is a good basketball only conference though.
12/16/2012 11:15 AM
Posted by hughesjr on 12/16/2012 11:15:00 AM (view original):
Posted by blackdog3377 on 12/16/2012 7:23:00 AM (view original):
I'm sorry but that is just not true ...

The SEC has won the NCAA title 3 times in the last 7 seasons.  Both Kentucky and Florida are better than any of those teams in the last 10 years.

It is a good basketball only conference though.
I think he means top-to-bottom, which I'd have to agree with.
12/16/2012 1:28 PM
The 7 Catholic schools aren't expected to make much noise time time.  I looked at 3 difference pre-season predictions for the Big East:

Georgetown- average predicted finish 6th
Marquette- 7th
St. John's- 11th
VIllanova- 12th
DePaul-  13th
Providence- 13th
Seton Hall- 14th

As for the potential new schools,  Creighton is very good.  St. Louis and Butler are strong as well. Dayton is picked in the middle of the A-10 pack and Xavier is even below them. Xavier had a horrible off-season (2 freshmen are academically ineligible, one returning starter  transferred to Arizona, another was kicked off the team.) They have 8 scholarship players  but have surprisingly defeated Purdue on the road and Butler by 15.

Still, top-to-bottom, they're as strong as the SEC. Auburn and Mississippi State are train wrecks, just awaiting football season.

Auburn's best win is over Charleston and they lost at home to DePaul. Mississippi State's best win is over Florida Atlantic and they lost to both Marquette (89-62)  and Providence (73-63). They also lost to UNC 95-49

12/16/2012 2:36 PM (edited)
I think that would be a pretty solid conference, with kind of a unique dynamic. in terms of competing for championships, they would be pretty far behind the big conferences, but i could definitely see them sending more teams to the NT than whichever confs happen to be the bottom couple that season (of the big ones). but who knows, we dont even know how many major conferences exist anymore.
12/16/2012 10:51 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 12/16/2012 9:54:00 AM (view original):

LEADERS DIVISION
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Wisconsin

They'd go at worst 3-3 this season in this division.      Their team this season has been pretty average.  I don't know if they'll ever beat WISCONSIN and OHIO STATE when they are both good  but I think they'll have some  4-2, 5-1 type seasons.

At worst 3-3?  C'mon.  At BEST, they would be 3-3 this year, and this was a bad year.
12/16/2012 10:54 PM
I don't think this will take them long to sort this out.  There are quite a few legal issues, espcially about who will get the "Big East" name plate, but I think everyone involved will want this settled sooner rather than later.

I think if "The 7" want just Xavier, Dayton, and Butler, there could be a lot of resistance.  Butler is just in their 1st A-10 season, and Xavier and Dayton are very loyal.  I think all three would move if it involved more A-10 schools.  The new conference could be anywhere between 10-16 schools.  Unlike football, a 16 team basketball conference with 2 divisions works well.  I would think that Creighton, St. Louis, Butler, Xavier, Dayton would make a nice 12 team conference. Add VCU, and Richmond and it would make for a nice 14 team conference with great geography.  Add St. Joes and Robert Morris could make it 16, but then it is getting very "East" oriented. Gonzaga and St. Mary's on the West coast are a posibility, but I think that is remote.  They would likely have to be basketball only memebers due to travel, and that leaves those two schools with issues when it comes to alignment of their non-basketball programs.  The West Coast may not let them leave for basketball and stay just for the other sports.

UC and UConn will not be part of the discussion.  They would only be temporary members until they found another home and "The 7" have had enough of that stuff already. There is word that the Big 10 will raid the ACC for two more schools, and if that happens UC and UConn will land in the ACC. Or the Big 12 could jump in and take them. 

It will be very interesting!!!
12/18/2012 1:01 AM
Posted by isack24 on 12/16/2012 10:54:00 PM (view original):

LEADERS DIVISION
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Wisconsin

At worst 3-3?  C'mon.  At BEST, they would be 3-3 this year, and this was a bad year.
When Rutgers beat Virginia Tech in their Bowl Game will you admit they are better than Purdue?
12/18/2012 5:40 AM
There are about 75 schools to consider adding before ever getting to Robert freaking Morris. 
12/18/2012 9:25 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 12/18/2012 5:40:00 (view original):
Posted by isack24 on 12/16/2012 10:54:00 PM (view original):

LEADERS DIVISION
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Wisconsin

When Rutgers beat Virginia Tech in their Bowl Game will you admit they are better than Purdue?
I'm a NJ guy and like Rutgers, but beating the 2012 version of VPI is hardly a barometer of success.  Or anybody from the ACC for that matter. 
12/18/2012 9:26 AM
How about when Purdue loses by 40 to Oklahoma St, will you admit Rutgers can hang in that division?
12/18/2012 10:59 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
OT- End of the Big East? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.