OT- End of the Big East? Topic

There could be a problem not inviting Dayton. Xavier is a very loyal program. In order for them to go in with the Big East teams Xavier would have to feel it was a significant upgrade AND that the A-10 would be degraded by other programs leaving.I think Butler and St. Louis would feel the same.  If the Big East teams just want 2-3 teams, I think Xavier stays. I think it would have to be a package of A-10 teams invited. Creighton, DePaul, Marquette, St. Louis, Dayton, Butler, and Xavier would be a great West division. Georgetown, Providence, Seaton Hall, St. Johns, Villanova, VCU and Richmond would be a great East division. Facing the switch of St. Louis, Dayton, Butler, VCU, Richmond and Xavier would make for a great new league and significantly diminish the A-10. Inviting St. Louis, Butler and Xavier might not be enough to persuade any of the three programs to leave. And those are the top three programs in the A-10 right now, followed closly by VCU and Dayton.

As far as St. Mary's, it is a good program that matches the others, and is in the same time zone as the Zags.  Traveling to the left coast time zone for just one game is difficult.  But I don't think it really matters.  If it was just basketball, it would be fine.  Think of the baseball, tennis, cross country, soccer, etc.  It would be too cost prohibitive for all the schools. 
12/29/2012 10:15 PM
A few weeks back I designed 3 10 team leagues from catholic/christian schools.  It would involve regulation and promotion.  I'm sure there's no chance it would occur, but it's something to dream about.
1. Georgetown, Marquette, Notre Dame, Providence, St. John's, Villanova, Xavier, St. Joe's, Gonzaga, Temple
2. Dayton, St. Louis, Portland, Creighton, DePaul, Manhattan, Saint Mary's (CA), Duquesne, St. Bonaventure, La Salle
3. Detroit Mercy, San Diego, Fordham, San Francisco, Iona, Holy Cross, Mount St. Mary's, Sacred Heart, St. Francis (PA), Santa Clara
Edit: I forgot Butler and Seton Hall in that first group, so, would need to knock someone off for them.
12/29/2012 10:53 PM (edited)
Posted by therewas47 on 12/29/2012 10:53:00 PM (view original):
A few weeks back I designed 3 10 team leagues from catholic/christian schools.  It would involve regulation and promotion.  I'm sure there's no chance it would occur, but it's something to dream about.
1. Georgetown, Marquette, Notre Dame, Providence, St. John's, Villanova, Xavier, St. Joe's, Gonzaga, Temple
2. Dayton, St. Louis, Portland, Creighton, DePaul, Manhattan, Saint Mary's (CA), Duquesne, St. Bonaventure, La Salle
3. Detroit Mercy, San Diego, Fordham, San Francisco, Iona, Holy Cross, Mount St. Mary's, Sacred Heart, St. Francis (PA), Santa Clara
Edit: I forgot Butler and Seton Hall in that first group, so, would need to knock someone off for them.
If you went Catholic-only, you could eliminate Butler. When these conferences are ready to expand, they could look to these Catholic schools (there are probably others as well)
. Fairfield, Loyola Marymount, Loyola Chicago, Loyola (MD),  Niagara, St. Francis (NY), St. Peter's, Seattle, Siena, Canisius, Boston College, St. Peter's, Incarnate Word
12/30/2012 5:34 AM (edited)
Posted by Trentonjoe on 12/18/2012 5:40:00 AM (view original):
Posted by isack24 on 12/16/2012 10:54:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 12/16/2012 9:54:00 AM (view original):
It depends on what you mean by "coming close" to Big 10 title means.

LEADERS DIVISION
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Wisconsin

They'd go at worst 3-3 this season in this division.      Their team this season has been pretty average.  I don't know if they'll ever beat WISCONSIN and OHIO STATE when they are both good  but I think they'll have some  4-2, 5-1 type seasons.

Rutgers isn't as bad as people think they are.

At worst 3-3?  C'mon.  At BEST, they would be 3-3 this year, and this was a bad year.
When Rutgers beat Virginia Tech in their Bowl Game will you admit they are better than Purdue?
Does this mean that you now have to admit that Rutgers ISN'T as good as Purdue?
12/30/2012 6:10 AM
No. But after watching that game I think Rutgers is as bad as Purdue.
12/30/2012 8:14 AM
tongue in cheek for sure....

CHURCH BALL
Sources say if BYU doesn't join a football conference, it will create a "Mormon 6" hoops league that includes itself, Southern Virginia, BYU-Hawaii, BYU-Idaho, LDS Business College and the South Jordan Glenmoor Stake All-Stars.

The tricky part will be rounding up the volunteer refs.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765618057/Rock-on-BYU-basketball-in-league-of-its-own.html?pg=all

12/31/2012 1:37 PM
...what I hear is that Xavier may not be as "loyal" as you may think commish.  They're in, with no conditions on any other A-10 teams being included.  Although I guess technically Butler is now an A-10 team. 
Although personally I could still see a strong case being made to include Dayton.  They certainly are basketball first, but they really don't deliver a media market the size of Cincy, Indy, or even St Louis.  I think the Dayton market is even smaller than the Omaha market which is a point of contention when discussing Creighton.

Also the new conference could potentially bring in $2.5+ million each in media rights and eventually another $1.5 million in NCAA tourney units.  That $4 million per school is a far cry from the A-10's combined $400k-$500k.

12/31/2012 1:52 PM

Xavier would be foolish to pass up this opportunity. Turn down Georgetown and Villanova out of loyalty to Duquesne and St. Bonaventure?   Not gonna happen

12/31/2012 2:41 PM
As a graduate of Dayton and having worked in the athletic department the big question is if having Dayton and Xavier would help secure the Columbus market.  Cincinnati is a little under 2 hrs away and Dayton about 75 minutes away.  
12/31/2012 5:32 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8796807/boise-state-broncos-staying-mountain-west-conference-all
12/31/2012 6:08 PM
Looks like Boise state said "to heck with you guys, we aren't entering this asylum."
12/31/2012 6:09 PM
Posted by Iguana1 on 12/31/2012 1:54:00 PM (view original):
...what I hear is that Xavier may not be as "loyal" as you may think commish.  They're in, with no conditions on any other A-10 teams being included.  Although I guess technically Butler is now an A-10 team. 
Although personally I could still see a strong case being made to include Dayton.  They certainly are basketball first, but they really don't deliver a media market the size of Cincy, Indy, or even St Louis.  I think the Dayton market is even smaller than the Omaha market which is a point of contention when discussing Creighton.

Also the new conference could potentially bring in $2.5+ million each in media rights and eventually another $1.5 million in NCAA tourney units.  That $4 million per school is a far cry from the A-10's combined $400k-$500k.

I hope you and Al are correct Iguana.  It is obvious that Xavier has outgrown the A-10. If Xavier does go, they would definitely pull a few other programs with them.

12/31/2012 7:05 PM
Posted by 2bounce on 12/31/2012 7:05:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Iguana1 on 12/31/2012 1:54:00 PM (view original):

I hope you and Al are correct Iguana.  It is obvious that Xavier has outgrown the A-10. If Xavier does go, they would definitely pull a few other programs with them.

BTW, "2bounce" and "commish118" are one in the same.  Didn't realize I was logged in as 2bounce when I responded.
1/1/2013 12:38 PM
The Big East tried to keep Boise State but couldn't match the offer from the Mountain West.
1/2/2013 5:43 AM
Does Purdue play 11 people on defense?
1/2/2013 11:28 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
OT- End of the Big East? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.