2010 to 2013 3-season progressive Topic

Posted by poppapomp on 12/14/2012 8:20:00 PM (view original):
Count me in - Thanks.
Thanks, pass the word, it would be awesome if we could get this going by early Jan.
12/14/2012 11:18 PM
I'll join this league
12/28/2012 9:09 PM
in
12/29/2012 12:34 AM
i will play.
12/29/2012 2:44 PM
Instead of the divisions being based on who u draft, why not base it on the 1st round draft order:  1,8,9,16,17,24   2,7,10,15,18,23   3,6,11,14,19,22   4,5,12,13,20,21
Also, I'd prefer no trades at all.

12/29/2012 5:29 PM
What if.. guys could freeze in time.. like say you draft in 2010-2011.. you can keep those guys on your roster forever from that year.. or you can progress them forward.. a little twist on the traditional progressive league that way. Each year you would choose to freeze or progress each player.
12/29/2012 5:41 PM
I love progressive leagues but I have to ask what are the chances this gets off the ground and why should I invest my time in a draft?  Some of you posting here know we have at least 2 good progressive leagues that have died, been revived and then died again all during the actual draft of an existing league.  That's only a 3 round draft, how is a new 10 round draft going survive?  I want more progressive leagues, but I'm getting really frustrated investing my time in research and drafts and having guys drop in and out of leagues in the middle of the draft.  Whys is this league is more likely to keep owner attention than the UPL or PCL? 

I'm not saying I don't like the idea, I'm asking about the viability.
1/2/2013 5:09 PM
Updated owners list
1/3/2013 5:56 PM
Posted by jcred5 on 1/2/2013 5:09:00 PM (view original):
I love progressive leagues but I have to ask what are the chances this gets off the ground and why should I invest my time in a draft?  Some of you posting here know we have at least 2 good progressive leagues that have died, been revived and then died again all during the actual draft of an existing league.  That's only a 3 round draft, how is a new 10 round draft going survive?  I want more progressive leagues, but I'm getting really frustrated investing my time in research and drafts and having guys drop in and out of leagues in the middle of the draft.  Whys is this league is more likely to keep owner attention than the UPL or PCL? 

I'm not saying I don't like the idea, I'm asking about the viability.
To answer some of your questions:

We are 1/3 full, with a target start of 10-14 days from now. I think we can reach 24 by then and I will recruit some RL friends of mine that are not on WIS if we get close but can't fill. Usually the last few spots go quickly, so I am hopeful we come close to our target draft date of MLK day.

This is a 3-season league, people don't need to plan on a 10+ season commitment, but the 3-season commitment is implied by signing up. We have an end goal of the current NBA season, we are playing towards something that is happening RIGHT now in RL, something that other progressive leagues cannot offer, so this is very unique. 

Most of the other progressives on the site do not even reach the 2011-12 season and if they do it takes 2+ years in RL to get there. This league only goes back two years ago in RL and wraps up with an NBA season that will complete right before we use it in the sim. Many of the players used, i.e., a Russel Westbrook type are NEVER used in the OLs or other progressives because their efg% is too low, that won't be the case here and people can use players they like in RL that will actually have value in this league.

This league will go 3 sim seasons start to finish. It has a finite start and end. If we all love it then we can do a 4-season league next fall or 3-season next winter, but THIS version is something that will conclude mid-summer, we may or may not go again after that, but we all know what we are signing up for: something that starts in the very recent past with an end goal of reaching and using the current RL NBA season.
1/3/2013 6:09 PM
I want to go with the Divisions as set by the rules and progress all players for each of the three seasons. I love the long-term things as much as the next guy, but the REAL goal here is to have a WIS sim that tracks as close to RL as possible. There is a HUGE advantage to getting one of the top players, but by putting the six teams with the best starting advantage in the same division then the six with the next best starting advantage in the same division we can open a shot at the playoffs up to almost everyone in the league. It will be pretty hard to build a truly dominate team, and with the division set-up the way it is and an initial draft that goes ABBBBB people may opt to take a slot that is not at the top or draft a player that is not one of the ones designated for a specific division. I also think most people will have a legitimate shot to make the playoffs at least once, and some of us may opt to do the initial draft with the 2012-13 season in mind, etc. 
1/3/2013 6:51 PM (edited)
I'll ramp up my recruiting efforts over the next few days, if you want a spot please post your interest here. Long-time and well-respected WIS member eleibowitz has committed to help with the logistics of the league (things like the lottery) and I will reach out to a few more well-respected and competitive owners to try to make this league as competitive as possible. It sucks that some of the other progressives here have died, but I think we can make this one work if we have the right people and since we know this thing will run its course over a 6-7 month RL time period.
1/3/2013 6:22 PM
Posted by natenoy on 1/3/2013 6:22:00 PM (view original):
I'll ramp up my recruiting efforts over the next few days, if you want a spot please post your interest here. Long-time and well-respected WIS member eleibowitz has committed to help with the logistics of the league (things like the lottery) and I will reach out to a few more well-respected and competitive owners to try to make this league as competitive as possible. It sucks that some of the other progressives here have died, but I think we can make this one work if we have the right people and since we know this thing will run its course over a 6-7 month RL time period.
I am your servant Nate
1/4/2013 12:31 PM
◂ Prev 12
2010 to 2013 3-season progressive Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.