Connecticut shooting Topic

Semiauto guns have been around over 100 years.  Yet mass shootings (not mob related) are a fairly recent thing.  Why?  The answer is how we deal with those with mental health issues.  In the past they were put in institutions.  That no longer occurs.

So continue with the knee jerk reaction re guns.  That is not the issue.  And the reality is, even if there was no 2nd Amendment and they could be banned by a simple law passed by Congress, such an effort would be a failure, like prohibition and the "war on drugs".  We have two large, essentially open borders to our north and south, and two huge coastlines.  There would be no way to keep them out.

And re gun laws.  CT has some of the most stringent laws.  The shooter was not old enough to buy.  And schools are "no gun zones".  So we have a situation here where we have tough gun laws where this happened.  

The key is keeping guns out of the hands of criminals and those with mental health issues.  Because those are the guys that use them, no matter what the law says.  Blanket gun laws just take guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens.
12/15/2012 8:52 PM
Oh, and re schools.  They have essentially no security.  The definition of a soft target.  With the amount of money spent on education, why the hell isn't there an air marshal type person (or two or three) in each school?  Get rid of a useless administrator (or three) and put real protection in each school.
12/15/2012 8:58 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I am not against guns. I own three that I inherited from my dad but there is no reason in the universe for anyone outside of the Armed Forces and law enforcement to have an assault rifle. If you think there is less manure in a manure factory then between your ears.

Why do we have more mentally ill running around? Republicans attack on the health care system with their cuts. Keep it up. 

12/15/2012 11:20 PM
Morgan Freeman makes a good point.

In his effort to blame Repubs (shocking, I know) for "health care system cuts" that led to "more mentally ill running around", he completely misses the point that this has been a combined effort.  Repubs wanting to cut govt costs and libs/mental health industries making the case for mainstreaming.

Of course, it is common sense to see that the closure of mental health facilities has led to an explosion of homelessness amongst the mentally ill.  Further, the change of mindset re the mentally ill has led to the aforementioned mainstreaming.  And as I mentioned above, the weapons that everyone complains of have been readily available for decades.  Yet these mass shootings have happened only in the past 25-30 years.  Same time period.
12/16/2012 12:16 AM
Posted by thejuice6 on 12/15/2012 11:17:00 PM (view original):
This is posting on Facebook...

Morgan Freeman's brilliant take on what happened yesterday:

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."

And much like everything else on facebook. This is a hoax. 
12/16/2012 4:30 PM
Posted by thejuice6 on 12/15/2012 11:17:00 PM (view original):
This is posting on Facebook...

Morgan Freeman's brilliant take on what happened yesterday:

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."

ha ha gullible media pig
12/16/2012 8:19 PM
Posted by occsid on 12/15/2012 11:20:00 PM (view original):
I am not against guns. I own three that I inherited from my dad but there is no reason in the universe for anyone outside of the Armed Forces and law enforcement to have an assault rifle. If you think there is less manure in a manure factory then between your ears.

Why do we have more mentally ill running around? Republicans attack on the health care system with their cuts. Keep it up. 

The reason we have mentally ill running around is the left refuses to allow crazy people be locked up.
12/17/2012 1:22 AM
Posted by raucous on 12/14/2012 8:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by stinenavy on 12/14/2012 6:00:00 PM (view original):
Connecticut school shooting deaths- 27

Chinese school knifing deaths- 0
So we should become like China.  No freedoms.  No counterbalance to the government.
Why'd you even bring up the China thing? To show that without guns violence still occurs?
12/17/2012 1:46 AM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 12/17/2012 1:22:00 AM (view original):
Posted by occsid on 12/15/2012 11:20:00 PM (view original):

The reason we have mentally ill running around is the left refuses to allow crazy people be locked up.
you might be too young to remember Swamp, but it was Reagan who cut back on mental health services and put mentally ill people on the streets.

And of course, your desire to "lock crazy people up" is of course the way to treat mental illness. Personally, I would opt for locking obese people up.

12/17/2012 7:54 AM
but dude, if you locked away all obese americans more then 1/3 of all you guys would be in jail.  who would pay to keep them in there?  your economy would die, plain and simple.   :)
12/17/2012 9:13 AM
Posted by antoncresten on 12/14/2012 4:28:00 PM (view original):
GUNS DON'T KILL................
agreed 100%
12/17/2012 9:18 AM
Bullets do...
12/17/2012 9:30 AM
so stricter gun laws are gonna keep guns out of the hands of people who want them bad enough? how are those drug laws working? glad nobody can acquire drugs because of all the laws against it.

those type of laws are like restraining orders. non-enforcable. or at least not effective of anything until AFTER THE FACT.
12/17/2012 9:37 AM
Fake Morgan Freeman has a good point.

seamar, yes, because Reagan had that kind of power in the 1960's, when the deinstitutionalization movement began.
12/17/2012 9:49 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...26 Next ▸
Connecticut shooting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.