Connecticut shooting Topic

Posted by slowmoe on 12/20/2012 4:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by nanu on 12/20/2012 3:56:00 PM (view original):
oh, and every gun sold comes with a sticker which has on it the face of one of the kids killed in Newtown.  every single one.
Well, I thought you had a good starting place for a popular governor to propose to his state, in a reasonable way, with open and informed debate rather than middle-of-the-night health-care style secret passage.    There are good ideas there, with levels of responsibility similar to Class A driver's licenses or day-care providers.

But a sticker with a picture of a kid on every gun?  So now I think you are just being emotionally driven, and shouldn't be allowed to come near to passing laws built on spur of the moment gut-feeling anecdotes instead of science and reason.   You want to knee-jerk a change to the way 300 million people live with a sad story of a tragic town in CT.    That's how we got 'Gun Free Zones' and super-controlled cities that have shootings every night despite not allowing a gun for miles around.   That's how we got unregulated homeless mental cases wondering the streets of every city, immune to laws against peeing in doorways or crapping on police cars or pushing people off of train platforms.    That a nutjob broke 100 laws to do what he did is immaterial to you.    If you only had a 101st law - that would have done it.

Why not just turn your attention to banning alcohol, which kills way more people, affects way more lives, and puts way more people in potential harms way than any gun ever did.   Unless you have no compassion for innocent victims, as you accuse other people of.  
Nope, I'm being cold and calculating.

Its how marketing works, bud.  The point is to make someone like swamp remember those kids every time he buys a gun.  You think that memory wouldn't prompt someone to:

* make sure their guns are stowed safely?
* reconsider whether they need the gun?

Its a message from the government to its people.  Really, really, think before you buy.  I'm down with some other image - but it does have to have emotional heft to it or what's the point.  There's a movement to start putting pictures of fatties on unhealthy food, and smiley happy people on healthy food.  Yeah, seems ******* crazy, but it works.

But if you dont like the image of the kid, there's some other options.  You can require the owner to go through a checklist of things, and fill that checklist with (1) crazy fonts, (2) references to making the safe choice, (3) explanations that NOT having a gun is safer than having one.  Those will prompt people to make better decisions.

12/20/2012 8:03 PM
re: alcohol - that's a good point.  Drunks can drive and kill people - but rarely do they have the opportunity to kill 20 little kids all at one shebang.  But, you can address drunk driving much the same way as I'm proposing above - and people have tried some of that with the ad campaigns.  But you can do more.

1.  ban beer/liquor commercials
2.  require someone who grabs a seat at the bar, before they order, to fill out a piece of paper where they explain how much they're planning to drink and how they plan to get home later - and a backup plan if they drink too much.
3.  if they buy a second drink, to hand over their keys to the bar to stow away - and have to blow below the legal limit to get their keys back.

that might be all you need, really.
12/20/2012 8:09 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 12/20/2012 6:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rcrusso on 12/20/2012 6:40:00 PM (view original):
Someone needs to make this dumb mother ****** dead!
What a kind and loving liberal you are.
One of those who see the world a better place with one less fat fascist in it.  And the word liberal does not require being modified by "loving" you dumb ****.
12/20/2012 8:23 PM
I just dont understand how the flower power of the sixties gave way to the outragous hate that the left employs now.

The left hates everyone who disagrees with them.

The Right may disagree with you but they dont hate any but a handful of extreme lefties.

12/21/2012 12:24 AM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 12/20/2012 5:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jiml60 on 12/20/2012 5:13:00 PM (view original):
Quote post by swamphawk22 on 12/20/2012 4:07:00 PM:
Posted by nanu on 12/20/2012 4:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by swamphawk22 on 12/20/2012 3:59:00 PM (view original):
Why not a picture of every unarmed person ever killed by an armed one?
Because here's the point, swamp.

If you want to live in a world where everyone is armed to the teeth, then you're not a compassionate human being.

And if you're not a compassionate human being, then I struggle to understand why you want to live at all.  I'm not trying to be insensitive or a jerk, but whats your point?  

Did you like the Cold War?  Did you like mutually assured destruction?  Is that really how you perceive the world?  Isnt that sad and lonely and ****** up?  Is everyone you pas by on the street your potential murderer?  is that how anyone should ever live a life?  
There has not been a major global war since we invented the bomb.

Peace through superior firepower works.

Peace through surrender doesnt.

funny thing, we have superior firepower and yet we keep invading other countries, doesn't sound like peace to me.

Small conflicts are going to happen no matter what. Humans fight wars.

There has not been a major global war in that time frame.

Compare....We lost about the same amount of soldiers in 3 years in Iraq as the Japanese lost in 3 days on Tarawa.

so, small conflicts don't count as war and therefore we have peace???

You know what we should do? redefine what a gun is so there are not as many of them out there!
12/21/2012 12:38 AM

Also, I can't speak for rcrusso, but I don't hate anyone. Certainly not for their politics.

12/21/2012 12:39 AM
Posted by wylie715 on 12/21/2012 12:39:00 AM (view original):

Also, I can't speak for rcrusso, but I don't hate anyone. Certainly not for their politics.

So are you willing to denounce him for calling for my death?
12/21/2012 2:08 AM

HEY, I WANT TO FLY AN F-14Why An Ordinary Citizen Shouldn't Be Allowed to Fly A Fighter Jet For Fun...Or Own a Semi-Automatic Rifle For That Matter

December 20, 2012

It’d be great fun to fly a big, expensive machine that could reign terror down from the skies. At least, that’s how it plays out in my head. Now, I know that this is not going to happen for a number of reasons, even though I am credited with being the best helmsman in the galaxy.

So what does this have to do with gun control? It’s simple, really. Remember when Richard Reid, the so-called “Shoe Bomber,” attempted unsuccessfully to blow up a plane using explosives hidden in his shoes? No one was terribly surprised when the TSA began requesting all of us to remove our shoes as part of the security inspection process. Millions today are willing to be inconvenienced in order to make it that much harder for dangerous people to terrorize our air travel.

In a similar vein, in the wake of the Newton, CT shootings, it’s unsurprising that we might want to reassess the way in which guns are sold and acquired. There’s a problem, and sometimes it takes something truly traumatizing to galvanize us into some sort of action.

One conversation that we should not be having, however, is whether the government has the right in the first instance to “control” guns, or as I prefer to think of it, to regulate them. We have a long standing tradition of permitting the use of potentially dangerous items or practices, so long as there are rules, or even licenses, required. Think about it. We require salon aestheticians to get a license in most cases simply to give a manicure. This license may be relatively easy to get, but we require it. That’s because there are health and safety issues involved, and, after all, we don’t want just anyone doing your nails. We also require everyone who drives a car to carry a license, to have their vision checked (curses for that), and to pass a driving test. That’s also because we recognize that a car is not only a convenience, it is potentially a dangerous thing when operated unsafely. It could kill or injure other people.

In fact, the more dangerous the thing, the harder generally it is to get a license for it, and the more rules there are around it. Pilots need to train extensively before they can fly, and for good reason. Doctors require more difficult licenses than manicurists. And so on.

So it isn’t any great stretch for we as a society to say, “You want to use a gun? You need to hold a license and abide by the following rules.” In fact, it’s common sense. Guns certainly shouldn’t be treated as any less dangerous, or less in need of regulation, than vehicles, medications, or anything else we know has both uses and perils.

Nor is it any surprise that, when it comes to very dangerous things, we simply don’t permit people generally to own or operate them. Ordinary citizens can’t buy Stinger missiles, even if they want to use them solely to hunt and destroy whole herds of deer. There is always a limit to our freedom. Even our most conservative Supreme Court in decades has acknowledged this: while the Second Amendment does guarantee the right of a private citizen to keep a firearm for, say, home safety, it is consistent with the Second Amendment to regulate such usage and to place reasonable limits upon it.

The choice is a societal one, always. Do we want citizens to be able to obtain semi-automatic rifles, which in the wrong hands have proved very, very deadly, simply in the name of more awesome firepower for gun enthusiasts? Or can and should we ban their use, just as we have with many, many other things whose social utility is outweighed by the danger they present?

Critics will say that guns don’t kill people, people kill people. Yes, people with guns, so the humor goes. But there is deep truth to this. A fighter jet sitting on a military base tarmac presents no danger to us, but a 75-year old actor with the keys to it very well would. Here’s an idea: maybe we shouldn’t allow him anywhere near it.

George Takei

P.S. If you’d like to start a petition permitting me as a private citizen to fly an F-14, I’m not opposed.

12/21/2012 12:35 PM
Here's the link.  Nice post by Takei.

www.allegiancemusical.com/blog-entry/hey-i-want-fly-f-14
12/21/2012 12:36 PM
mr sulu!
12/21/2012 12:42 PM
Is anyone else listening to the NRA.  They are ******* morons.
12/21/2012 1:06 PM
Dear NRA,

In case you haven't been paying attention, and by your statement today, you haven't. Teacher, Cops and firefighters are being laid off across the country. Funding for education and public safety are being cut everywhere. How do you plan to pay these people you want in the schools?  Personally, if we are going to spend money on schools, let's hire more teachers and pay them more. Our education system is in the toilet, we are being beat out in education by most other eastern and western civilized countries.  

As for cops and firefighters, in the area I live in alone at least ten police departments have folded leaving the job of police their city/township to either county or state police.  One cities fire department folded and is now being covered by the adjoining township. How about we hired these people back and maybe they could catch some of these people for they snap. 

Also, How about money for better mental health care? Oh right, that would be too complicated and lead to more government intervention. Let's not try to help out those who have mental health issues, instead let's arm ourselves to the teeth and kill them when they do snap.  

Please do me a favor and take your idea, roll it up and shove it back where you pulled it from.  

Sincerely,

An average American!

12/21/2012 1:18 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 12/21/2012 2:08:00 AM (view original):
Posted by wylie715 on 12/21/2012 12:39:00 AM (view original):

So are you willing to denounce him for calling for my death?
denounce him? what does denounce him mean? It was stupid, asinine thing to say and hopefully he didn't mean it, but he doesn't speak for everyone on the left, just as you don't speak for everyone on the right.
12/21/2012 1:27 PM (edited)
by the way, know what denounce means, just don't really think it fits the circumstances
12/21/2012 1:28 PM
lier
12/21/2012 1:37 PM
◂ Prev 1...10|11|12|13|14...26 Next ▸
Connecticut shooting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.