Ncih $52mill Divisions Draft Topic

Posted by tarheel1991 on 12/16/2012 1:21:00 PM (view original):
as the guy picking 4th, may I ask what the logic is in a straight draft order and not a snake? seems like an awfully big advantage to give a defending champ. Picking 1st overall seems like advantage enough IMO
Tar, original rules called for snake, vance lobbyied for straight draft. Im not sure the advantage is overehelming since there are likely 12-16 tems tht are very close to each other in terms of strength. If ncih let's this count we can debate straight v snake next time, but Im ok with defending champ having a slight advantage..
12/16/2012 2:41 PM
still havent had a chance to make a list yet but ill keep the draft moving if youre gonna post picks nate...ill keep checking back until i do

lets see....yup..gotta be sixernuggets....like my chances in a shootout with his poor defensive squad

12/16/2012 2:47 PM
Posted by natenoy on 12/16/2012 2:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tarheel1991 on 12/16/2012 1:21:00 PM (view original):
as the guy picking 4th, may I ask what the logic is in a straight draft order and not a snake? seems like an awfully big advantage to give a defending champ. Picking 1st overall seems like advantage enough IMO
Tar, original rules called for snake, vance lobbyied for straight draft. Im not sure the advantage is overehelming since there are likely 12-16 tems tht are very close to each other in terms of strength. If ncih let's this count we can debate straight v snake next time, but Im ok with defending champ having a slight advantage..

uh - the guy picking first lobbied for getting to pick first in every round? wow, what a shocker. sounds like a great reason to do it to me. As if it wasn't enough for him to make that hilarious "trade" to start the draft process, he wants the advantage of picking first in every single round? How is that a "small" advantage?

I just submitted my list to nate. I believe the 3 already picked were my top 3, which leaves coachcroft on my list.

12/16/2012 3:16 PM
The goal of this process is supposed to be to apportion the divisions in a way that leads to more fun and debate while also keeping the apportionment as fair as possible. That is the basis on which I voted for it. I don't see any reason why the defending champ should get an extra benefit out of the process - what is the rationale for thinking the champ NEEDS more of a benefit? That person just won a championship and two free teams, we don't need to let them handpick their division too. If all the teams in the middle are the same and hard to tell apart anyway (which I somewhat agree with) then vance shouldn't care so much about picking first in every round anyway. In every draft process there are a couple teams that everyone agrees look awful (see the first three picks here, which I had ranked as the three worst teams) and a couple teams everyone wants to avoid. In a five-round snake draft, the defending champ gets guaranteed the team he thinks is the worst (which is generally pretty clear) AND also picks first in the last round, meaning he basically gets to pick the three teams he most wants to avoid. That is already a significant advantage WITHOUT giving him the first pick in the other rounds, too.

If the only reason for giving that advantage is because the person who benefits most from it this year lobbied for it, without providing any rationale beyond wanting to do it that way, that's not good enough for me. That is a terrible reason to do it that way, and unless someone can come up with a much better reason for it I will continue to lodge my protest (for all the good that will do). I think the fairest way to do it would be to go ABBAB, or ABABB (A being a 1-4 order round, B being a 4-1 ordered round) but I'll settle at least for a normal snake, which still gives a significant advantage to the guy picking first.

12/16/2012 3:25 PM
yea...i dont get why we just didnt do a snake...im with tarheel on this one....if gin feels the same then i say we change it right now while we can....making my list now
12/16/2012 3:29 PM
I think the next round should be the  Screw Your Neighbor round.  You pick for someone else to be in their league.  That will even things out

12/16/2012 3:30 PM
I see your points, this may not stand up to the ncih review process anyway. Easier to justify snake, so we will proceed that way. Tar picks tricky24, dh ur back up.
12/16/2012 3:33 PM
hes been known to have sneaky good teams...but i dont think this is gonna be one of them..pippens gonna be in wests jock....give me banditone
12/16/2012 3:38 PM
Gin takes jakotay.
12/16/2012 3:47 PM
Vance takes mikee1 and natenoy.
12/16/2012 3:52 PM
Gin takes katernberg.
12/16/2012 3:53 PM
ill take ncih(lebron)
12/16/2012 4:00 PM
Tar takes bluenote75, and xxevillivexx.
12/16/2012 4:07 PM
hmmm....stockton/magic could turn him into an offensive monster but ewing should keep this team weak on the boards...just how i like em

give me chris_snid

12/16/2012 4:13 PM
remember...gin cant take ncih(barkley)
12/16/2012 4:15 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Ncih $52mill Divisions Draft Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.