High-Capacity Assault Weapons Topic

I honestly don't think you understand the cultural difference(and, perhaps, I don't either) between the US and Canada.

You said, more than once, that someone will bump into a canuck and he'll say "Excuse me, eh?"    Whereas, in the states, you might be looking at a fight.  Not a fight with guns but just a fight.    There is a difference in attitude. 

That's not a comment on gun control, murder rates or countries.  But it is a comment on culture.

12/21/2012 6:55 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 12/21/2012 1:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 12/21/2012 1:53:00 PM (view original):
I have no problem with the existence of the NRA.  It's an organization of gun enthusiasts.  Nothing wrong with that.

But the fact that they, or any other special interest group, wields so much political power should be alarming to everybody.
They wield power because of the millions and millions of people who  support their cause.

This idea that the NRA is a handful of people forcing Americans to buy guns is crazy.

The anti-gun groups are the ones we should worry about.

Mostly fake front groups that are supported by traditional left wing funding sources.
That is...unique.
12/21/2012 6:55 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/21/2012 6:55:00 PM (view original):

I honestly don't think you understand the cultural difference(and, perhaps, I don't either) between the US and Canada.

You said, more than once, that someone will bump into a canuck and he'll say "Excuse me, eh?"    Whereas, in the states, you might be looking at a fight.  Not a fight with guns but just a fight.    There is a difference in attitude. 

That's not a comment on gun control, murder rates or countries.  But it is a comment on culture.

Right. Right.

I actually think we mostly agree looking at your arguments, but would say it much differently. Some of the crazy **** being said and I think "you don't get it. The solution could sit on your face, and you still wouldn't get it".

I'm sure most wouldn't think of leaving the country, much like our ridiculous stance on oil sands doesn't have me packing up, both in both cases things are said and it's "wow. Really?"
12/21/2012 6:59 PM
Yeah, you lost me.

Americans, as a whole, are more aggressive than most other cultures.   Perhaps it's a "freedom" thing or maybe we're just ******** in general.  Either way our view on gun ownership will be different simply because we've been told we can own guns for 200+ years.
12/21/2012 7:02 PM
Agreed.

So back to page 5ish when you went "Huh" before, I pointed out two major differences between us
1. Guns are a right vs guns are a privledge
2. Healthcare is a right vs. healthcare is a privledge

Although I wasn't drawing a straight line from 2 to the issue being discussed, the fact that 1 exists means the statistical divide in murder rate will always remain. Always. Anything else, like "oh, it's the mentally ill" or "oh, we have guns" or "oh, we need better parenting" is bullshit because the same issue exists in any other country.
12/21/2012 7:08 PM
As I recall, I made sport of you for dragging healthcare and dope-smoking into the discussion.

I'm still not sure either belongs in the discussion of banning HCAW but, now, I think I get your point.   Gov't healthcare has been a part of your culture for as long as you remember.  Gun ownership has been a part of my culture for as long as I remember.  And, as I see it, Canada might be a more "Let me help you" nation whereas the US says "I'll help me, **** you" nation.

I think I get your point now.  Or, if you say so, I missed it completely.
12/21/2012 7:16 PM
FWIW, I think America became the greatest nation in the world because it said "I'll help me, **** you."   Perhaps I'm wrong.   The current Administration, and it's backers, believe so.
12/21/2012 7:21 PM
Greatest is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't expect anyone there to think otherwise, else why are you living there?
12/21/2012 7:23 PM
And I didn't bring dope into the discussion. I didn't follow that either.
12/21/2012 7:25 PM
Understood.     But we have a lot of people trying to get here.   Maybe it's because the weather is nicer south of Canada. 
12/21/2012 7:25 PM

Taxes. See #2. And we get draft dodgers. See #1.

12/21/2012 7:27 PM
Well, I could sell my house and retire in Mexico today.  Maybe I could do the same in Canada but, you know, it's cold up there, eh?
12/21/2012 7:43 PM

Murder rate in Mexico is higher than yours.

12/21/2012 7:46 PM

I don't base my life decisions on murder rates.   Plus I bet I could get a gun in ol' Mexico if I wanted one.

12/21/2012 7:51 PM
The dope issue is germane and not stupid. The politics of the matter is that liberals want an expansive reading of the Bill of Rights on all personal liberties but the second amendment while conservatives seem to want the a narrow reading except on the second amendment. While the argument did seem out of place, the principle remains and I found it germane.

Secord, people misunderstand the concept of a right. No right is absolute and all rights, including second amendment rights, can be limited in the time, place, and manner for which individuals can exercise said right.

Third, just because there is not 100% guaranteed solvency that a ban on assault weapons, define as you wish, prevents every bad action it does not mean that they ought not be banned. We have prohibitions against murder yet murder occurs. Do we rid this prohibition? Also, because specific instances (boars) don't fall neatly within the general rule, it does not follow that we should not have the general rule. It follows that we have exceptions to the general, such as a stricter licensing for those who have a legitimate for need the otherwise banned

The goal is to create a just, fair society. This issue needs to be discussed and reasoned through because events like the one in Conn. can not become the new normal. Where does it stop?
12/21/2012 7:58 PM
◂ Prev 1...16|17|18|19|20...54 Next ▸
High-Capacity Assault Weapons Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.