High-Capacity Assault Weapons Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 12/17/2012 11:03:00 AM (view original):
I wasn't necessarily addressing you with that.    I felt Obama sounded far too political when he addressed a memorial gathering in Newtown last night.  He really seemed to be pushing gun control.   Not the time nor the place, IMO.
I watched the entire service, it was broadcast on local TV.  I think his words were less about politics and more about saying what the people there wanted and needed to hear . . . that incidents like these need to stop.  As you know, I'm not a big fan of Obama.  But I thought his speech stayed respectfully away from politics and hit the right notes for the people in the auditorium.  I give him kudos for that.
12/17/2012 11:10 AM
I gotta agree with tec on this one. Nobody (at least nobody serious) is talking about taking away all guns. And it's difficult to determine where we draw the line. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

A couple of mike's points -

There are several revolvers available on the market that are effective self defense against wild boar. While a .223 assault rifle is a small caliber rifle and somewhat ineffective against a boar and not great for carrying around as self defense.

The idea that we can't talk about gun control in the wake of a tragedy is ridiculous. We talk about bridge retrofitting after a deadly earthquake. We talk about tsunami warning systems after a deadly tsunami. We make changes after tragedies to try to reduce future tragedies. We don't just throw up our hands and say, "oh well, can't stop earthquakes/tsunamis/crazy people."
12/17/2012 11:31 AM
Which revolver is effective against wild boar?     I've read several articles, written by people who hunt wild boar, and they seem to think anything less than a .44 Magnum is just going to **** off a charging boar.

If you want productive talk, you don't do it when people are emotional over an issue.  I don't think bridge repair and gun control are similar issues at all.   Unless you can find someone who says "**** it.  I'll take my chances with that damaged bridge."
12/17/2012 11:44 AM
When will people not be emotional about the death of 20 6 year olds?
12/17/2012 11:57 AM
Posted by antoncresten on 12/17/2012 9:40:00 AM (view original):
GUNS DONT KILL...... BULLETS DO

CHARGE $200 PER BULLET, PEOPLE WILL BE LESS APT TO WASTE EM

GUN NUTS CAN OWN AS MANY GUNS AS THEY WANT. AMMO A DIFFERENT STORY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dNQQ7nQnnk
12/17/2012 12:53 PM
Posted by seamar_116 on 12/17/2012 9:44:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 12/17/2012 9:03:00 AM (view original):

Silentpadna mentioned the Second Amendment.  When talking about gun control, some people run and hide behind the Second Amendment as an inalienable, funamental and far-reaching right. 

I, too, support the Second Amendment.  The founding fathers of our country crafted and included the Second Amendmant for a reason, and I think that reason needs to be respected.  But first, we need to understand the reason why it's there . . . what was their real intention?  To the best of my knowledge, without doing any deep research, single-shot ball and powder muskets were the high-tech weaponry that was all the rage when the Constitution and the Bill of Rights were written and adopted.  Something like HCAW would have been unimaginable to the founding fathers 225+ years ago.  How would they have regarded weapons like these when they wrote the Second Amendment?  Is this the kind of weaponry that they intended for the citizenry to "keep and bear arms"?  Would the Second Amendment have been worded differently if HCAW could have been comceivable and anticipated?

The FF also codified slavery as part of the Constitution. Should that be respected?  Again, all I want to hear from the Swamps of the world is that 20 dead 6-7 y/o is the price we have to pay for the right to own high capacity weapons.

If you want to use this tragedy to scare people into giving more rights to the central government you have that right.

I want everyone to see that is Seamar's goal.

He always wanted to ban guns, and any tragedy that comes along is good for his cause.
12/17/2012 12:56 PM
From a logical standpoint, the age of the victims doesn't matter. It's the crime itself that matters.

The bottom line is that you can't do much to stop someone who doesn't care if they live or die and plans to die during or following their execution of an attack. All you can do is try to be prepared and secure and hope it doesn't happen and when it does you hope you can minimize the damage.

12/17/2012 12:56 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/17/2012 11:44:00 AM (view original):
Which revolver is effective against wild boar?     I've read several articles, written by people who hunt wild boar, and they seem to think anything less than a .44 Magnum is just going to **** off a charging boar.

If you want productive talk, you don't do it when people are emotional over an issue.  I don't think bridge repair and gun control are similar issues at all.   Unless you can find someone who says "**** it.  I'll take my chances with that damaged bridge."
This isnt common but...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z60K7TkZsA0
12/17/2012 12:58 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/17/2012 11:57:00 AM (view original):
When will people not be emotional about the death of 20 6 year olds?

Less so next week than today.   Is 9/11, Columbine or even the Holocaust still as polarizing as they were?

12/17/2012 1:10 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 12/17/2012 12:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/17/2012 11:44:00 AM (view original):

This isnt common but...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z60K7TkZsA0
That was a .45 and I counted 5 shots. 

I helped my dad with domesticed pigs.   A single .22 shot to the forehead will put one down if you shoot him from pointblank range while he's eating.
12/17/2012 1:15 PM
I think people that don't want to talk about the issue now are worried that there will be a groundswell of support for change because everyone is emotional.

That's a valid concern. At the same time, significant change on a controversial topic is almost always impossible. The only time it will ever get done is when the issue is on everyone's mind.
12/17/2012 1:16 PM
The first bullet may not kill him or even seriously harm him, but it will stop a charge. It is very likely he will flee.
12/17/2012 1:17 PM
Not so much.   I don't particularly care to talk about gun control now because I think it's a bit disrespectul to the victims.    IMO, the loss of their lives is a tragedy not a talking point for a polarizing topic.   As I said earlier, I would expect a punch in the face if I told a victim's father that I needed a HC, powerful handgun to protect my dogs from wild boar.   Understandably, he might want all guns thrown in the ocean.   I think that's a ridiculous viewpoint but I would also understand his sentiment.

I'll ask again.   If the goal is to prevent mass killings like this one, where do you stop with gun restrictions?   No HCAW?  I'm on board.   No multi-shot guns?  Not on board.  
12/17/2012 1:22 PM
If your concern is self defense while walking your dog, I can't imagine that you'd rather carry a small caliber assault rifle instead of a large caliber revolver. You aren't hunting the boar and the boar isn't hunting you. The likelihood of an encounter is small, and the likelihood that you will need to fire on a charging boar even less.
12/17/2012 1:23 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 12/17/2012 1:17:00 PM (view original):
The first bullet may not kill him or even seriously harm him, but it will stop a charge. It is very likely he will flee.
I'm not sure you understand wild boar(nor am I sure I do) but that one was running away when the shooting started.   As I understand it, it's a lot different if they're running towards you. 
12/17/2012 1:25 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...54 Next ▸
High-Capacity Assault Weapons Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.