High-Capacity Assault Weapons Topic

swampy wins on a technicality on "genocide of injuns".    I'm sure he has some distorted, dumbass view on the matter but he's right.

It wasn't a deliberate destruction of Native Americans.    Whitey simply wanted them to be somewhere else and took matters into their own hands when they wouldn't move.  There was no "We gotta wipe them out" movement.
2/2/2013 8:29 AM
SHERMAN AND SHERIDAN BOTH LET WHITE BUFFALO HUNTERS, THE RAILROAD MAGNATES AND SETTLERS DESTROY THE BUFFALO AND ITS RANGES.

SYSTEMIC GENOCIDE THROUGH DISEASE(SMALLPOX+ CHOLERA, SPREAD BY ARMY OUTPOSTS ON INDIAN LAND) AND STARVATION

YER RIGHT SWAMP HAS A DUMBASS VIEW
2/2/2013 10:20 AM
So what conclusions can we draw?

Everyone knows that the way we treated the Native Americans was bad. It isnt something to be proud of. And we should try to never do that again.

Why do we need to protray every action in our past in the worst possible light?

Why cant we just label things what they are?

Who keeps trying to make American history a horror story?
2/2/2013 2:16 PM
The smallpox blankets, supposedly distributed by Amherst, is probably the closest you'll find to "genocide".    Of course, that was not sanctioned by the government nor has it really been proven. 

Killing buffalo isn't genocide.
2/2/2013 2:36 PM
PLEASE TRY
2/2/2013 2:38 PM
Thus, according to Ward Churchill, a professor of ethnic studies at the University of Colorado, the reduction of the North American Indian population from an estimated 12 million in 1500 to barely 237,000 in 1900 represents a"vast genocide . . . ,
2/2/2013 5:53 PM
Ward Churchill...Really??

I wonder why he would say something bad about America?
2/2/2013 6:08 PM
maybe because America did something....a, well, bad....
2/2/2013 6:51 PM
unless you don't think it was bad that we killed such a large number of natives....some probably think it a good thing, maybe you are one
2/2/2013 6:53 PM
I'm 1/8th Injun.  In 1900, I probably wouldn't have counted as Native American.

2/2/2013 8:52 PM
OK, I looked up the definition just to be sure I wasn't rambling for no reason.

the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group.

I'll need proof that this happened.   Not a bunch of people dying, like any WW or the Civil War, but a systematic extermination of the Native Americans.
2/2/2013 9:06 PM
While whitey certainly ****** over the native Americans, it was not genocide.  

Killing the native Americans was a means to an end (taking their land and their resources, killing them if they resisted), but it was not a goal in and of itself.
2/2/2013 9:55 PM

GIMME BACK MY LAND, YOU BASTARDS!!!

And give cresten an acre while you're at it.

2/2/2013 10:52 PM
YI YI YI YI YI!
2/3/2013 5:16 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/2/2013 9:06:00 PM (view original):
OK, I looked up the definition just to be sure I wasn't rambling for no reason.

the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group.

I'll need proof that this happened.   Not a bunch of people dying, like any WW or the Civil War, but a systematic extermination of the Native Americans.
Mike...look up the actual definition...the one created by the UN committee on genocide in 1947/48. It is a bit broader than what you posted. Although the term "genocide" was not even created until the 1940s, it is clear that US action, including the creation of "Indian schools" would "retro-actively" fit a definition of genocide.
2/3/2013 5:52 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...41|42|43|44|45...54 Next ▸
High-Capacity Assault Weapons Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.