High-Capacity Assault Weapons Topic

More for Swamp

"A great general has said that the only good Indian is a dead one, and that high sanction of his destruction has been an enormous factor in promoting Indian massacres. In a sense, I agree with the sentiment, but only in this: that all the Indian there is in the race should be dead. Kill the Indian in him, and save the man."

"Inscrutable are the ways of Providence. Horrible as were the experiences of its introduction, and of slavery itself, there was concealed in them the greatest blessing that ever came to the Negro race—seven millions of blacks from cannibalism in darkest Africa to citizenship in free and enlightened America; not full, not complete citizenship, but possible—probable—citizenship, and on the highway and near to it."

Capt. Richard H. Pratt

Head of the Carlisle Indian School

historymatters.gmu.edu/d/4929/

To attempt to exterminate a culture IS Genocide. That is one of the legal definitions.
2/5/2013 3:16 AM
Until this moment, I'd never heard of Capt Pratt.    I can't say he spoke for the US Government. 
2/5/2013 8:08 AM
Not that any of that makes swamp less of a dumbass but I'm saying the systematic destruction of the Native American was not US policy.
2/5/2013 8:09 AM
Pratt did speak for the govt. He was in charge of the Carlisle School, where Jim Thorpe went. He spoke and wrote a lot on the issue.
2/5/2013 9:27 AM
Pratt was not in charge of govt policy.  He ran a school. 
2/5/2013 11:19 AM
Posted by dahsdebater on 2/4/2013 9:15:00 PM (view original):
Swamp calls me "the left" on a regular basis.  It's ok.  It's not possible that anyone could disagree with swamp for well-thought-out reasons.  They disagree with him because they are sheep.  Same with bistiza.
Sometimes I will refer to a post with comments about what the left does. That doesnt always mean I am calling you a lefty.

Sometimes the context of my comments is relative and that needs to be addressed.

In this case the left always portraying the Actions of the US as Genocide seems to make the word less powerful. It is the worst possible interpetation of the actions of the US to call them Genocide.
2/5/2013 2:50 PM
Was Watching Bill Maher's show.

Had a writer, Sam Harris, who wrote a book called Freewill.

Made the point that in some cases assualt weapons are less dangerous than shotguns and handguns.

No one called him stupid.

I said it and was branded an idiot.

2/6/2013 3:03 PM
He probably presented in less of a dumbass way. 
2/6/2013 3:05 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/5/2013 8:09:00 AM (view original):
Not that any of that makes swamp less of a dumbass but I'm saying the systematic destruction of the Native American was not US policy.
Do you think it was an accident?

Are you familiar with "history"?

Systematic destruction was the policy post Washington until  at least the Turner Thesis.  
2/6/2013 3:11 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 2/6/2013 3:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/5/2013 8:09:00 AM (view original):
Do you think it was an accident?

Systematic destruction was the policy post Washington until  at least the Turner Thesis.  
There was no systematic destruction of the Native American.

If they were on land that the US wanted, they moved them, if possible, killed them, if not. 

Much like old people today, the US simply wanted them out of sight.   There would have been no Trail of Tears if they were to be eliminated.

2/6/2013 3:21 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 2/6/2013 3:03:00 PM (view original):
Was Watching Bill Maher's show.

Had a writer, Sam Harris, who wrote a book called Freewill.

Made the point that in some cases assualt weapons are less dangerous than shotguns and handguns.

No one called him stupid.

I said it and was branded an idiot.

This is not specifically why you were branded an idiot.  You have been branded an idiot because you are an idiot.  Even Mike, who is conservative and frequently a dumbass himself, thinks you are an idiot.  Not that that makes it true.  What makes it true is the fact that you are an idiot.
2/6/2013 4:00 PM
This is my dilemma.

I make statements that are accepted by other people and are generally viewed as valid opinions. Not that everyone agrees with them, but they are out there.

When I say them I am an idiot.

When others say them they are authors that people put on tv.

How can this be?
2/6/2013 4:45 PM
Because all you can do is quote the authors without understanding or explaining any of the logic.  In general you just repeat whatever you hear from Fox News but you don't even understand the already-flawed logic.  When you try to defend almost indefensible positions without even being intelligent about it you sound like a total nincompoop.
2/6/2013 5:17 PM
What dahs said.

Plus, when you say your statements are "accepted by other people and are generally viewed as valid opinions", you're failing to acknowledge that many of the people you're referring to share your right-wing fringe opinions, not necessarily by the general public.

I'm sure that if there were a gathering of serial killers, Ted Bundy would have been accepted and understood by all the other attendees as a regular guy, "just like us".
2/6/2013 5:41 PM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 2/6/2013 4:45:00 PM (view original):
This is my dilemma.

I make statements that are accepted by other people and are generally viewed as valid opinions. Not that everyone agrees with them, but they are out there.

When I say them I am an idiot.

When others say them they are authors that people put on tv.

How can this be?
2/6/2013 5:47 PM
◂ Prev 1...44|45|46|47|48...54 Next ▸
High-Capacity Assault Weapons Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.