High-Capacity Assault Weapons Topic

The argument isnt that the AW ban might not do something positive.

The argument is if you are going to take away rights you better show a reason.

Might be safer isnt enough.

The reason we are showing examples of why an AW ban wouldnt help is to show that it isnt an established fact that it is a good thing.

There are a lot of laws that are not being enforced now. There are other plans that can save kids that could be tried.

Giving more power to the Federal Government is not a proven problem solver.
2/7/2013 8:59 PM
The problem you have is that you're ******* up the argument for no ban by trying to explain how they're less dangerous than other guns.     There are situations, confined area/only able to fire one shot/etc, but you chose "You don't have to aim AW".   Which was stupid.

2/7/2013 9:15 PM
I think if you're characterizing the impact of an assault weapons ban - particularly one which actually involved government possession (hopefully through purchase) of weapons already in circulation in the civilian population - as "might be safer" you're lying to yourself.  Frankly in denial.  You can argue about the degree to which we would be safer - I'll concede it's likely quite small - but if you try to argue that we might not be safer at all you'd have to be a lot smarter and more coherent to convince me of your position.
2/7/2013 10:09 PM
Yeah, you're taking the wrong approach.   Removing a single weapon, of any type,  would make the world safer.   Hell, taking one car off the highway makes that particular highway safer.  

It's just a risk(possibly crapping on the 2nd Amendment)/reward(making the world nominally safer) sitiuation.
2/8/2013 8:19 AM
OK, lets play with that.

Say you ban pick up trucks. They are big so they might cause more deaths in an accident.

Would that make highways safer?

Of course not, because the people that buy pick ups would be forced to buy other vehicles that are just as big.

Someone needs to prove that an AW ban is a positive.

We had one and nothing got better so why do they want another one?

I refuse to blindly give into the Anti-Gun nuts idea that guns are the problem!
2/8/2013 12:56 PM
Playing your pick-up truck game, maybe you just ban big non-commercial vehicles(AW).    You're not banning the Honda Civic(handgun) or Chevy Colorado(shotgun), you're just taking the bigass Avanlanches(AW) off the road.    Mass x speed = bigger accidents.    Decrease the mass, decrease the scope of the accident.

2/8/2013 1:41 PM
The AW ban is quite a bit more specific than a ban on all vehicles above a certain weight.

That was my point.

If you are trying to kill 1 person, or 3 people or 10 people the use of the guns on the AW ban list may not make it easier to do.

And while the guns on the AW ban list ban some weapons that hunters and farmers may need, it doesnt make anyone safer.

That is the problem with trying to make a list. You have to make a standard that doesnt always fit the end goal.

So I refuse to drop to the level of freedom vs security.

We can win that argument, but it is never a good win.

Prove a life saving advantage to an AW ban!
2/8/2013 1:57 PM
You're being kind of dumb.

Vehicles over 4000 lbs are banned.   Long guns with pistol grips and a capacity greater than 10 are banned.

Both are very specific.

2/8/2013 2:49 PM

Well lets say the impacted weapons are a more narrow scope compared to overall weapons than all under 4000.

2/8/2013 3:09 PM
The more swamp posts, the more support he inadvertently creates for a HCAW ban.
2/8/2013 3:45 PM
In reality the cause is dead.

There will be no AW ban.

The forces of individual freedom have won.
2/8/2013 4:31 PM
I think it's safe to assume that individual freedom won, in part, because you didn't have a bigger stump.
2/9/2013 8:50 AM
Speaking of gun nuts!

2/9/2013 11:27 AM
2/9/2013 11:35 AM
Posted by rcrusso on 2/9/2013 11:35:00 AM (view original):
Teachers with guns are the problem?

The next time there is an incident try to feel what you would be thinking if your kid was in there.

Think about how an armed teacher might save your kids life.

Law abiding gun owners are not the problem.

The problem is criminals and the time it takes police to respond.
2/9/2013 4:57 PM
◂ Prev 1...46|47|48|49|50...54 Next ▸
High-Capacity Assault Weapons Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.