High-Capacity Assault Weapons Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 12/17/2012 3:57:00 PM (view original):
There really are legit, non-murderous reasons to own a semi-automatic weapon. 

You wouldn't think a hunter would have a need for one but they do and it's for the PROTECTION of wildlife.    If you shoot a deer, he seldom goes down instantly.   If you had to re-pack your musket before firing again, you have a dying animal running away from you.   Being shot a 2nd time and dying is a lot less painful than wandering in the woods for 3 days and dying slowly. 

As I mentioned earlier, I personally don't really understand the concept of hunting for sport, but I'm also not an anti-hunting nut who's going to criticize or belittle those who do enjoy it.

But to attempt to justify a need for semi-automatic weapons so that one can efficiently kill animals for sport seems like a "WTF?" moment.

I suppose one can take your argument as one that can be used against bow-hunters, that hunting deer with bows and arrows is inhumane because they're not going to die as quickly as they would with semi-automatic weapons.

12/17/2012 5:28 PM (edited)
Posted by swamphawk22 on 12/17/2012 5:12:00 PM (view original):
So no matter if it works or not there is a growing swell of support for some kind of limits.

Where is the middle ground.

Banning all weapons isnt acceptable. Leaving things the way they are isnt acceptable.

So what is the middle ground.

1 Ban all mags over 15 rounds.
2 Ban the sale of kits to convert semiautos to autos.
3 tighten the conditions for gun permits to limit people with mental issues and convicted felons.
4 Limit the amount of weapons and ammo you can buy in a single month. 3 weapons and 1200 rounds.
5 Elminate all federal bans on state CCW permits.
6 If there is ever an attempt to add to this law it has to start over from scratch, you cannot just add till all guns are banned.

As an NRA member i consider this dangerous but would allow it. Will this make your side happy?
Why would you need 1200 rounds in a month?  Maybe at a shooting range, but in that case allow sale at the range for range use only.  For home use a few hundred a month should be more than adequate for any legitimate purpose...

On the other hand, it's unlikely we'll see anyone successfully single-handedly kill that many people (or at least we'd like to hope/think so), so realistically limiting purchase of ammunition shouldn't make a huge difference.
12/17/2012 5:39 PM
Why kind of "legitimate purpose" would justify the need for a few hundred rounds a month for home use?
12/17/2012 5:50 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Well, you could be buying for yourself and a couple of kids/grandkids or something like that.  And then say you have to sight in several firearms, that might take a dozen or 20 rounds per gun.  You want to save yourself a few rounds for the actual hunting itself.
12/17/2012 7:27 PM
why would someone need 36 weapons a year..in a few years he could build an army..how about 1-3 weapons per year.
12/17/2012 7:31 PM
Maybe they collect guns.   Some people collect stamps or baseball cards. 
12/17/2012 7:59 PM
So no one on the left is willing to address my serious offer.

12/17/2012 8:41 PM
how come those on the right say that people are not responsible enough to smoke a little pot but with guns anything goes..assault weapons why not..no harm there.
12/17/2012 9:17 PM
How is ingeting an hallucinogenic drug the same as owning a man made tool?
12/17/2012 9:34 PM
I don't care if you smoke pot.   I just don't want you owning a gun or working for me.  In part, because obviously, punctuation suffers when you fire up.
12/17/2012 9:47 PM
BTW, that's probably the dumbest comment in this thread.   "Well, yeah, what about pot???!?!?!"
12/17/2012 9:48 PM
well..it did bring out your basic intolerance so it highlighted the wierd set of priorities with the nra..i dont smoke pot and i dont own a gun..i wouldnt want to own a gun..not many people need one and what did the founding fathers know about a nation of 300 million  and assault weapons you can pick off a tree.. can you imagine where we would be if there were a billion assault weapons out there lets say 100 million each owning 10..its hypothetically possible...the guns are not about protection for most gun owners..most hope they can kill someone one day in self defense.
12/17/2012 9:59 PM
Recent events make me want to carry a gun. I've never shot one, owned one, or even wanted one until now.  I don't think I need a gun to protect my children or dogs from wild boar, bear, etc but to protect them from ******* lunatic human beings like this newtown kid. Whats that now.... a school shooting, mall shooting, the chiefs player domestic shooting, a movie theater shooting, and a church shooting all in the last few months?  About the only thing in common with each event (other than the horrific loss of innocent lives) is that each gunman killed themselves when the cops (or those with weapons) were closing in.  I never want to be as defenseless as those teachers and students were.... and I'm not sure this government can protect me even with bans. I think its time to start looking into a concealed handgun and some lessons, for me at least.  I am so disgusted at what this world is turning into.  Sorry for the rant.  
12/17/2012 10:13 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/17/2012 9:48:00 PM (view original):
BTW, that's probably the dumbest comment in this thread.   "Well, yeah, what about pot???!?!?!"
It was, for about 42 minutes.  Up until the point when he said that most gun owners hope that they have an opportunity to kill somebody some day.
12/17/2012 10:16 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...54 Next ▸
High-Capacity Assault Weapons Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.