Tim Raines HOF Topic

I've been arguing for his election for a while now.  He's a good article on it.

mlb.si.com/2012/12/17/jaws-and-the-2013-hall-of-fame-ballot-tim-raines/
12/19/2012 10:21 AM
Yeah, it's pretty clear to any rational person that he belongs in. Unfortunately, many of the voters aren't rational and Jay Jaffe (along with Tom Tango, Rob Neyer, and many more) isn't going to convince them that Tim Raines could possibly be as valuable as Tony Gwynn.
12/19/2012 3:47 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Tim Raines son, Rock, used to play basketball on my older brothers team as a kid.  

I remember Tim coming to the games and being friendly as hell.  Joking with the fathers and the refs.  Mind you, this was around 25 or so years ago.

So...seeing the human side of things, and his stats....i'd vote him in.
12/19/2012 4:32 PM
I get the impression that people are willing to forget the cocaine use.  They just don't see his statistical value.
12/19/2012 4:51 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/19/2012 4:51:00 PM (view original):
I get the impression that people are willing to forget the cocaine use.  They just don't see his statistical value.
I agree. Nobody would give a **** about his cocaine use if he had 3,000 hits. Hank Aaron admitted to using amphetamines during games.
12/19/2012 5:05 PM
I would need to know Raines views on semi-automatic weapons before I would consider him HOF-worthy
12/19/2012 6:34 PM
If you're deadset against the steroid guys because of the illegal use of drugs, how do you vote for Raines?

For instance, Barry Bonds has more home runs than anyone.   Barry Bonds has never outright admitted the use of an illegal drug.   In fact, he has testified in court that he did not knowingly take any illegal drugs.   Tim Raines did.    Seems that people care more about his POTENTIAL use of illegal drugs than they do the homers he hit.

Also, if you don't think cocaine is a performance enhancer, I'd suggest you've never tried it.  
12/20/2012 8:19 AM
Cocaine is a stimulant, like amphetamines.  Similar advantages to both.
12/20/2012 9:06 AM
When they start removing players already in the HOF, let me know.  Until then "But Hank Aaron....." is irrelevant.
12/20/2012 9:14 AM
I'm coming around on the whole steroid thing.  I'd vote steroid users in.  Although Raffy was caught while specifically illegal, so for him, I dunno.

As for comparing Raines to steroid users, excessive use of steroids helps performance more than cocaine does.
12/20/2012 9:51 AM
I'd suggest you've never used cocaine.

Steroids allow you the ability to recover from your workouts faster.   You still have to work out.
Cocaine gives you an immediate "pick me up" and a buttload of confidence.   You can snort a line after partying all night and be more prepared to play.

Seriously, which one is "worse" from a competitive standpoint?
12/20/2012 9:55 AM
I full offseason of training, while using steroids, would help my performance the following season more than snorting cocaine before games.  Are you really suggesting I'm wrong?
12/20/2012 10:27 AM
12345 Next ▸
Tim Raines HOF Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.