American Baseball Union - Season 18 - 2 Openings Topic

it will be a shame when we fill...
1/22/2013 10:09 AM
This is an adaptation of a scenario (the original is by anon):
There are FOUR potential new owners: Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody

There was an HBD World needing to be filled (ABU, as it happens) and Everybody was asked if they were interested.
Everybody was sure that Somebody would join.
Anybody could have done so, but Nobody did (I really wish they had).
Somebody then got angry about this because it was felt to be Everybody's remit.
Everybody throught that Anybody would do so, but Nobody realised that Everybody wouldn't.
It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when actually Nobody had asked Anybody (who also hadn't joined).
So my question to you on this Tuesday is...
are you an Everybody? a Somebody? an Anybody? or a Nobody?

As it stands since yesterday, and the day before, and indeed the day before that,
the answer seems to be an Everybody,
since the number of vacancies is still FOUR.
The mathematics get complicated but I will explain...
if Somebody or Anybody had signed up then the number would have reduced;
likewise if Nobody had signed up then that is a possitive which is greater than nil so the total would have also deminished.
As Everybody hasn't signed up that means the FOUR stays exactly where it is: at F-O-U-R.
Clear?   Good!

By the way, I had nothing to do with Jurassic World which became extinct due to all the owners dropping out through no fault of their own.
I can't prove it yet but I have a feeling that when the commissioner, trex, threatened to drop a large boulder on any owner who failed to recruit...
1/22/2013 1:23 PM
Since you are reading this post, preferably sitting in the comfort of your office or home,
don't be ashamed or embarrassed. It could be the best few minutes of an otherwise
depressing, miserable and uneventful Wednesday.

Let your boss look in over your shoulder. Let him/her read the script.
Take the plunge...tell them that you are considering joining ABU World and would
like them to sign up too. Maybe you could offer to fund the purchase price
of their franchise*. (Just imagine what the boss may think of your majestic offer.)
Then, together, each day you could log-in, see how your franchises are performing
and help one another with suggestions for promotions/demotions, field placings,
batting line-ups, pitching rotations, etc.
Even bounce trade ideas around.
Just be tactful not to upset the boss if he wants to acquire your star player
lest you find PC time in the office is restricted to "his/her eyes only".

*Hey, have a side deal that says whoever has the poorer w/l ML record buys the following year's seasons.

As I put this little script together, I checked the vacancy situation in HBD:
1 open world (2 slots)   &   15 private worlds (68 slots)
ABU World has FOUR franchises looking for owners and is currently 'private' (sitemail to jkenned to get the password)
but on Friday (yes, as in the film title: the day after tomorrow) it will become 'open'.
There is no difference. The cost is the same. The opportunities are the same.
I am the same. 27 other owners are the same. (Aaahhhh...maybe we've been assimulated by the Borg**)
Beat the rush. Act today.

** reference to an inter-galatic race in the Star Trek: Next Generation series

Back later with another little musing (but, please, get that sitemail a.s.a.p.)

1/23/2013 11:41 AM

Back again.   Thought so.   Just wanted check out a couple things didn't you?
Firstly, it was to re-read the above posting in the privacy of your own 'space' where you
could mull over the thought of competiting against your boss
(and to check that you had enough $'s to fund that extra team).
Secondly, to check that I kept my promise of another little musing!

So, whether you've got the boss, got the $'s, got the desire to join ABU World...

I was watching a baseball game on TV and my wife said to me:
"Speaking of high and outside, the grass needs mowing."

We named our son "Later" because we knew he'd be a ball player
and you always hear about teams who trade for a player to be named later.

The City Symphony Orchestra was rehearsing Beethoven's Ninth Symphony. There is an extensive section where the brass players
don't play for twenty minutes or so. One of them decided that, rather than stand around on the stage looking bored and stupid,
they'd just file offstage during their tacit-time and hang out backstage, then return when they were about to play. It seemed a
good idea at the time.

On the night of the performance, the brass players filed off as planned. The last one had barely left the stage when the leader
suggested, "Hey, we've got twenty minutes, let's have some fun and cross the street to the bar for a few!"

The idea was met with great approval; so off they went, tuxedos and all, to loosen up. Fifteen minutes and a few rounds later,
one of the brass players said, "Shouldn't we be getting back? It's almost time."

But the leader announced, "Oh, don't worry, we'll have some extra time. I've played a little joke on the conductor. Before the
performance started, I tied string around each page of the score so that he'd have to undo each sheet to turn it. The piece will
drag on a bit. We've got time for another round."

So another round they did, and finally - sloshed and staggering - they made their way back across the street
to finish Ludwig's 9th.

Upon entering the stage, they immediately noticed the conductor's haggered, drawn and livid expression.

"Gee," one player queried, "why do you suppose he looks so tense?"

"You'd be tense, too," laughed the leader. "It's the bottom of the ninth, the score is tied and the basses are loaded!"

Having checked in at the ABU World 'chat' before heading over here,
you best get typing that sitemail real soon (like now would be soon enough)
as the commissioner has 'issued' the password to one very probable (almost definite) candidate
and to other possible (very possible) recruit.
If they come to fruitition that would only leave two vacancies
(and as neither potential new owner is Tom, Dick or Harry...somebody is going to be disappointed).

1/23/2013 6:41 PM
Here we go.   It's Thursday.   Less than 24-hours before ABU World goes public.
It doesn't have to if you act now, lunchtime, this afternoon, when you get home, this evening
even tonight but before 3am Friday (EST)
(albeit I can't speak for the commissioner being around at that time to issue the password)
Anyway, to cheer you up if you're not feeling on top of the world
and to keep you there if you are having a good day...

Q. Is there baseball in heaven?

A. Two old men had been best friends for many years and both live to their early 90's when one falls very ill.
His friend comes to visit him on his deathbed and they're reminiscing about their long friendship when the
dying man's friend asks, "Listen, when you die, please do me a favour. I want to know if there's baseball in heaven."

The dying man says, "We've been friends for so many years, this I'll do for you." Sadly, he then passes away.

A couple of days later, his surviving friend is sleeping when he hears his friend's voice. The voice says, "I've got
some good news and some bad news. The good news is that there is baseball in heaven."

"What's the bad news?"

"You're pitching on Wednesday."

This couple just recently got a divorce and they decided to move away from each other
and go there separate ways. So, the father sat down and talked with his son and said,
"Son, I think that it is best if you go and live with your mother." The boy said, "No, I won't,
because she beats me."
Then the mother came in and talked to her son. "I think that it is best if you go and live
with your father." "No! No!" he replied. "He beats me."
So then, both parents sit down with their son and say to him, "Well, if we both beat you,
then who do you want to live with?" whereupon the boy replies, "The Mets. They can't beat anybody".

One morning in elementary school, the students were going to a geography class.
The teacher wanted to show the youngsters where cities and states are.

The teacher asks the class, "Does anyone know where Pittsburgh is?"
Billy raises his hand and says, "Yeah, Pennsylvania!"

The teacher replies, "Very good Billy. Now can anyone tell me where Detroit is?"
Suzy raises her hand and says, "That's in Michigan." The teacher again says, "Very good".

Trying to confuse the children, she now asks, "Where's Kansas City?"
Tommy raises his hand and says, "Oh, oh, pick me! I know."

The teacher says, "OK Tommy, where is Kansas City?"
"Last place."

So, how about it boss?   Like the idea?
Jolly decent of you to let your staff occasionally log-in to WIS during their work time.
(I do agree that helping towards the company's $'s is important, but that's really just fantasy,
whereas trading to improve your HBD franchise...well, that's real business).

1/24/2013 5:43 PM (edited)
Sorry Mets fans.
Sorry Royals fans.

I just can't stop re-reading the Everybody, Somebody, Anybody & Nobody article
and as for yesterday's orchestral piece...whow!

One more for today...

A conceited new rookie was pitching his first AAA-level game and expected to be in the majors within weeks.
He walked the first five batters he faced and the manager took him out of the game.
The rookie slammed his glove on the ground and yelled,
"Damn it, the jerk took me out when I had a no-hitter going."

1/24/2013 5:57 PM
◂ Prev 12
American Baseball Union - Season 18 - 2 Openings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.