Running under shotgun Topic

Is there a way to run in the shotgun formation with only your WRs running? Or will your QB just run wit mostly?
1/2/2013 3:29 AM
Wouldn't just setting your QB rush percentage to none in the depth chart and bumping up the rush % on your receivers accomplish that?  I always assumed that's how you would do that.
1/2/2013 7:22 AM
Posted by dundeigit on 1/2/2013 7:22:00 AM (view original):
Wouldn't just setting your QB rush percentage to none in the depth chart and bumping up the rush % on your receivers accomplish that?  I always assumed that's how you would do that.
Correct.  If you leave both your WRs and QB set to 'None' in Shotgun, then there's a 20% chance that your QB will run with the ball. Note that scrambles, sacks, and kneel-downs count as rushes for a QB (they show up in his stats) even if you set his running frequency to None.  Note too, that if you set your WRs running frequency to anything other than 'None' there's a chance they'll run with the ball in any formation they're in, not just Shotgun.
1/2/2013 8:04 AM
I've experimented with it in a world where I was going to drop out of 1A and I had no running backs and 12 WR's.  It didn't work so well.  I think strength plays enough of a part in the current engine that unless you have some strong receivers for some reason, you will end up getting stopped for 0-2 yards too many times.  Now, if all you want to do is get 1 yard on 3rd and 1, it can work.  Like anything in this game, I found if that is the only time you do it, a good coach will gameplan against it and run a 4-4 defense on 3rd and 1 and stuff you...but then again you can then adjust your gameplan to throw it over the top in the second half.
1/2/2013 2:49 PM
Doesn't work. Look at my game against Baylor today in the Dobie world. Every time my qb tried scramble out of shotgun its was all down hill lol.
1/2/2013 3:20 PM
Scrambling and then having a designed run are two different things. I dont think using the WRs on an often basis will work regardless on their STR.. the only thing I can picture with a WR running is a Jet Sweep.. which usually is either a homerun or a stuff.
1/2/2013 3:48 PM
http://whatifsports.com/gd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=4061467

This is an exhibition game I ran with one of my D3 teams. I had heavy run settings for my  Shotgun formation and didnt set any rush settings just to get an idea of how it would work. This was done against a Sim.. which would be a lot easier then a human coach who is going to gameplan against you running in the Shotgun.
1/2/2013 3:52 PM
Running with the Shotgun does not work...yet. Could be with the new engine
1/2/2013 4:04 PM
In which way? 

http://www.whatifsports.com/gd/PlayerProfile/Stats.aspx?pid=7352818

This is my QB from Monmouth Heisman last season. Using a garbage team I racked up almost 1700 yds rushing and passing using Trips and Shotgun only. I am not sure what the results would be using a much better team and doing that on a consistent basis. The thing I realised though is that if I have a good running QB it gives me the ability to run, and if someone tries to put a 4-4 defense in against me I can switch back to passing. 
1/2/2013 4:53 PM
Posted by genuvar on 1/2/2013 4:53:00 PM (view original):
In which way? 

http://www.whatifsports.com/gd/PlayerProfile/Stats.aspx?pid=7352818

This is my QB from Monmouth Heisman last season. Using a garbage team I racked up almost 1700 yds rushing and passing using Trips and Shotgun only. I am not sure what the results would be using a much better team and doing that on a consistent basis. The thing I realised though is that if I have a good running QB it gives me the ability to run, and if someone tries to put a 4-4 defense in against me I can switch back to passing. 
I ran an all trips offense with a lights out QB and some darn good revivers at the Military Academy in Dobie…the only good team with beat was Oklahoma and a 12 point loss to Texas over three seasons. Everyone else that was worth two cents backed handed us like a two dollar hoe. Maybe I wasn’t setting up the offense right, but that experience caused me to change my offensive style with my new team...who also just got the brakes beat off of them.  I guess one of these days I will find some offense with my teams lol.
1/2/2013 5:08 PM
It could also just be the level I was playing at when I experimented with it last season... big difference between D3 and D1
1/2/2013 5:34 PM
I gather trips is the best to run with your WRs.
1/2/2013 10:29 PM
I would personally go with Shotgun.. just because you are more likely to face a dime or people playing nickle with a heavy/all pass setting.. which MAY give you a better shot at busting a run off
1/2/2013 10:36 PM
But I want to do it without my qb running.
1/2/2013 11:41 PM
You would have to play with the settings a bit.. if you are running ONLY shotgun you could easily set one WR to 100% or split it 60/40 between two.. not sure how you planned on doing it. If you are going to do it with other formations involved you will have to find a balance between how much you need to set the WR to so your RB still gets most of the carries. I know in my experiment I did trips and shotgun, QB was set to 80% which enabled him to take all the shotgun runs and then the remaining 20% got taken by the RB when I was using trips. The QB would only occasionally run in the trips formation. I think this same type of formula would work with a WR.. though if you are using other formations and want the RB taking carries you might need to adjust it to only 40% for your WR.
1/2/2013 11:57 PM
12 Next ▸
Running under shotgun Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.