D2 Season 62 Topic

yeah i said it..

1/5/2013 8:55 PM
good to have you back pinkeye... and in my conference! If only jthieme1 would've joined Gulf South too...

1/5/2013 9:34 PM
What does everyone think of their recruiting classes?  Mine is pretty solid, but it could have been awesome if I hadn't lost a C in my backyard (10 miles from my campus) to a freaking D1 school in IL.  I had him considering just me after I pulled him down and the D1 jumped him overnight the first night.  Not sure why a D1 coach would poach a player a D2 had that is nearly 1,000 miles from that D1 school, but oh well.  It's part of the game, just not part I particularly like.  That said, I didn't get f'd nearly as hard as hacker.  A D1 poached a STUD juco guard from him on the signing cycle.  That's just wrong.
1/6/2013 11:16 AM
I get poached from D1 a lot - didn't happen this season, but I lost a battle to Bowie St. (which feels a lot better - at least it's w/ another DII Team)

A lot of mid-Level D1 recruits kind of suck, so I can see the appeal in low to mid level D1 schools taking our recruits. I don't like it, but it's "all in the game"

I like how the Gulf South and NorthEast 10 just got better with the infusion of some veteran coaches - the more competitive conferences, the better. 

We're (Longwood) hoping for a major run this season with 6 seniors, because we will definitely be hurting after this one (we should end up having 7 open slots, most probably having taken a walk-on)

1/6/2013 1:21 PM (edited)
I only needed 2 recruits at Bellarmine.  I spent between $1100 and $3300 on four different recruits  and lost them all to nearer schools with more scholarship money. Two of them were to Wisconsin-Parkside so look for them to be a championship contender again in 4 years. There's no hard feelings toward Parkside or the other schools (Lees-McRae and Fayetteville) That's just the way it worked out.  But I did beat out Concord in the  same situation. 

My small class is above average but not as good as I'd hoped.  Still, with 10 players returning, the Knights could be dangerous this season.
1/6/2013 2:45 PM
Only needed 1 and with 6 man classes a trend on the west coast I just took a mid level player. He'll get a redshirt as Stanislaus should be competitive this year with 11 returning players.
1/6/2013 3:58 PM
If my big men can play up to their potential then St. Mary's TX could be a title contender.  We are loaded at guard and SF and have a ton of guys who can shoot the ball.  Terry Coombs is probably the best JR I've ever had in terms of scoring ability.  I'm curious to see how this team will do.
1/6/2013 3:59 PM
Posted by mduncanhogs on 1/6/2013 3:59:00 PM (view original):
If my big men can play up to their potential then St. Mary's TX could be a title contender.  We are loaded at guard and SF and have a ton of guys who can shoot the ball.  Terry Coombs is probably the best JR I've ever had in terms of scoring ability.  I'm curious to see how this team will do.
Yes, wishing Coombs would graduate early.  I picture St Mary's in a lot of track meet type scores this season.

Incarnate Word:  We've got a couple of weapons I'd put up against anybody's in Harris & Trumble.  Madden is a decent 3rd option.  After that, it's a bunch of spare parts.  How much the spare parts improve will dictate IW's season.  We might be a totally different team come NT time versus non-con (which includes a murder's row of Derby City Classic opponents).  I wouldn't be surprised if we had 3 of the spare parts improve 80+ points over the course of the season.

Iba:  Defending champ Wisconsin-Parkside returns 7 players, but they are a magnificent 7.  Emy1013 has two titles in five seasons there.  Longwood returns ten players, bbunch's squad looks stout.  Humboldt St and Coker each return 12 players while Hillsdale and CSU, Stanislus each bring back 11.   

Who do you like?
1/6/2013 6:01 PM
Needed a JUCO/transfer SF and got one in Elias, who is exactly the kind of player I was looking for. The other two I got were solid and relatively cheap. Joel Brown will be a great player if his WE doesn't prevent him from reaching his potential.
1/6/2013 8:05 PM
I think I did OK for a B- prestige.  Gonna be switching defense this season.  The goal is to make greenhawks 'dynasty' list in 5 seasons.  So glad hot_plate & gopokes24 joined the NE-10, the North division of the NE-10 is gonna be salty in a few seasons.
1/6/2013 10:55 PM
Posted by bbunch on 1/6/2013 1:21:00 PM (view original):
I get poached from D1 a lot - didn't happen this season, but I lost a battle to Bowie St. (which feels a lot better - at least it's w/ another DII Team)

A lot of mid-Level D1 recruits kind of suck, so I can see the appeal in low to mid level D1 schools taking our recruits. I don't like it, but it's "all in the game"

I like how the Gulf South and NorthEast 10 just got better with the infusion of some veteran coaches - the more competitive conferences, the better. 

We're (Longwood) hoping for a major run this season with 6 seniors, because we will definitely be hurting after this one (we should end up having 7 open slots, most probably having taken a walk-on)

Well I couldn't let a potential stud leave the state bbunch.

I agree that I don't really like having DI coaches come in on my recruits, but to be fair in the vast majority of these instances we're (all D2 coaches) pulling down recruits that are on the DI screen. It is frustrating, but if you're recruiting DI players, there is obviously the risk that a DI school will target them.
1/8/2013 11:22 AM
U of the sciences brings back 11 players. We should be decent this season, a brutal non conference will tell us where we are in terms or top teams.
1/8/2013 11:26 AM
Posted by baseballer77 on 1/8/2013 11:22:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bbunch on 1/6/2013 1:21:00 PM (view original):

Well I couldn't let a potential stud leave the state bbunch.

I agree that I don't really like having DI coaches come in on my recruits, but to be fair in the vast majority of these instances we're (all D2 coaches) pulling down recruits that are on the DI screen. It is frustrating, but if you're recruiting DI players, there is obviously the risk that a DI school will target them.
Oh I understand, baseballer. Congrats to you, he will be a stud.

I thought you would win the battle, but there was nobody around worth going after with the money I had left, so I just put every last dollar into that recruit and hoped that you would back off, which you rightly did not. Plus, I'm pretty OK with the 1 walkon, we have 11 strong players. 

1/8/2013 11:42 AM
Posted by greenhawks on 1/6/2013 2:46:00 PM (view original):
I only needed 2 recruits at Bellarmine.  I spent between $1100 and $3300 on four different recruits  and lost them all to nearer schools with more scholarship money. Two of them were to Wisconsin-Parkside so look for them to be a championship contender again in 4 years. There's no hard feelings toward Parkside or the other schools (Lees-McRae and Fayetteville) That's just the way it worked out.  But I did beat out Concord in the  same situation. 

My small class is above average but not as good as I'd hoped.  Still, with 10 players returning, the Knights could be dangerous this season.
Sincerely sorry about the way that played out Greenie.  The unranked kid was just to good to pass up and as you know, we hit the ranked SG on the same cycle, so that was just some bad luck there.

Parkside brought in five players and they should all turn out to be very good by the time they graduate as nearly all of their potentials are of the high-high variety.  My returning seven players are also very solid, but with that many new faces, will the seven returnees have enough experience and talent to carry the youngsters through the season?  Time will tell, I guess.
1/8/2013 1:14 PM
Limestone has high hopes for the season, but lacks depth at guard (except for one stud guard, imo).  This team will be battle tested come NT time, and I hope to make at least the Sweet 16.  Tunnel vision during recruiting cost me a chance at a decent guard when I made a foolhardy move on a player considering a 'D' prestige sim school (D1).... thought I kept enough money in the hopper to pick up a decent plan B, but each option fell apart against better financed schools.  Live and learn. 

With 10 returning players from last season (including one JUCO who was redshirted last year) I think this team will be okay - even with being a little short handed at guard.  Two soph guards will get a lot of minutes and neither is that impressive - although Cooper has high potential in spd, def and per with a nice WE... so maybe by year's end he'll be a positive (for the life of me, how does a SG with high Per potential have FT% rating of D+ already capped???).

1/8/2013 1:28 PM (edited)
1|2|3...7 Next ▸
D2 Season 62 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.