D2 Season 62 Topic

Posted by davefilby on 2/15/2013 5:36:00 PM (view original):
Go mduncanhogs and St Mary's! 5th final four in 12 seasons. If you don't bring a title home to San Antonio (to match ours) we are going to start calling you the Buffalo Bills of D-II Iba.
You noticed that huh? I'm about to get labeled as the coach who can't win the big game if I can't win this thing.

I feel lucky to have beaten Longwood. I made a lineup change that I think had a lot to do with us winning, but we still needed luck on our side vs that team. The only good and not excellent defender in Longwood's starting 5 is their SF and I moved my stud scorer to SF to match him up there. Hopefully I can find a way to win 2 more. GL to the other coaches in the Final Four!
2/15/2013 6:04 PM
Good luck mduncanhogs. I'm shocked anyone could beat bbunch's crew, they should include that on your history page.
2/15/2013 11:06 PM
bvb can fricking coach HD
2/16/2013 3:20 AM
congrats to bvb and daveredden. two great teams in the final. 
2/16/2013 8:19 AM
Posted by hackerhog on 2/16/2013 3:20:00 AM (view original):
bvb can fricking coach HD
My teams been on a good run. I feel like every team in the elite eight was more talented than mine so I feel pretty fortunate to get here.
2/16/2013 9:04 AM
Great win bvb.  I really thought I had a pretty good chance to win that game and you blew us out.  Once Coombs got in foul trouble I was toast.  GL in the final.
2/16/2013 9:57 AM
This one will sting even worse than most if I lose. A bunch of players I recruited on Dave's team.
2/16/2013 9:22 PM

Another "super class" team wins a title.  6 SRs and 6 JRs is hard to beat when they are good players.  CSU, Chico and Humboldt St. have won titles this way recently.  Interesting that both are in NoCal.  This season Humboldt St. had 6 SRs and 6 JRs, while CSU, Chico had 6 SOs and 6 FR.  Guess it might be Chico's turn in a couple of seasons (or maybe even next season).

2/17/2013 9:15 AM (edited)
I never thought bbunch had the runaway favorite. It was THREE teams not ONE and everyone else. The two Great Northwest teams (Humboldt St & Seattle) and Longwood. That St Marys upset of Longwood was huge. I fully expected winner of Great Northwest vs Longwood in the final. Instead Humboldt faced a helluva HD coach with a nice group of SRs.

And as mduncanhogs plainly illustrated... the Superclass may be the way to go again. I haven't done that in a long time, but may have to go back to it.

Congrats daveredden!

2/17/2013 10:03 AM
As much as I don't want to go the superclass route, I have to at least think about it.  Clearly I have to do something differently if I want to win a title.  I've been to the Final Four 5 times in 12 seasons at St. Mary's but still haven't even made the title game.  Frustrating to say the least.  Maybe one of these days I will actually get a chance to play for it all.
2/17/2013 10:58 AM
Posted by hackerhog on 2/17/2013 10:03:00 AM (view original):
I never thought bbunch had the runaway favorite. It was THREE teams not ONE and everyone else. The two Great Northwest teams (Humboldt St & Seattle) and Longwood. That St Marys upset of Longwood was huge. I fully expected winner of Great Northwest vs Longwood in the final. Instead Humboldt faced a helluva HD coach with a nice group of SRs.

And as mduncanhogs plainly illustrated... the Superclass may be the way to go again. I haven't done that in a long time, but may have to go back to it.

Congrats daveredden!

Yeah, I was surprised by that too - we had only 2 big time scorers on the team, one of which was a guard that couldn't shoot threes. Our defense was outstanding....but I didn't know if that would be enough, and it wasn't.

Longwood is not going superclass at any point, so I hope it won't be the only way to win.Our 6 seniors are the closest I will ever get to that. .
2/17/2013 12:16 PM
Posted by mduncanhogs on 2/17/2013 9:15:00 AM (view original):

Another "super class" team wins a title.  6 SRs and 6 JRs is hard to beat when they are good players.  CSU, Chico and Humboldt St. have won titles this way recently.  Interesting that both are in NoCal.  This season Humboldt St. had 6 SRs and 6 JRs, while CSU, Chico had 6 SOs and 6 FR.  Guess it might be Chico's turn in a couple of seasons (or maybe even next season).

This is the reason i will be leaving the ccaa and St. Stanislaus this offseason.  Two of the schools geographically closest to me have very good coaches doing superclasses alternating years.  It has made recruiting a chore.  I don't blame them for their strategy, I just wish WIS would re-work recruiting budgets.  
2/17/2013 1:29 PM
Posted by bvb24 on 2/17/2013 1:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mduncanhogs on 2/17/2013 9:15:00 AM (view original):

This is the reason i will be leaving the ccaa and St. Stanislaus this offseason.  Two of the schools geographically closest to me have very good coaches doing superclasses alternating years.  It has made recruiting a chore.  I don't blame them for their strategy, I just wish WIS would re-work recruiting budgets.  
I agree that reworking recruiting budgets would help, but I'm not sure how to rework them.  If you gave ever D2 school the same amount of cash that hurts teams with more openings and helps those with fewer, but it would get rid of the super class.  Maybe instead of capping the recruiting cash at 6 schollies worth they should cap it at 4 schollies worth?  That seems like that would solve the super class.

As for you leaving the CCAA, I hate to see you have to move again so soon (especially with CSU, Stanislaus doing so well and in the Yarnell next season), but if you do leave we would love to have you join us in the Heartland.  OK Panhandle St. is opening up.
2/17/2013 1:39 PM
I think I'm going to join the Central Atlantic.  Beek is my friend and he wants me to beat him in conference instead of non-conference.  (can't wait for him to read that.)  It will take 2 or 3 seasons to get back to the tournament but I'm pretty confident in my ability to rebuild a program.  Did I mention i'm looking at taking over a team that lost 26 straight games this year?
I would be ok with each team starting with the same amount of cash and keeping post season rewards the same.  It would give teams with very few openings an advantage but if you have 1 opening one year that means you'll have 4 or 5 other years so I think it would balance out.  I think team and coach prestige need a massive overhaul too.  No team that is missing the tourney once or twice every 4 years should have an A+.  Even if they get to the second round and an elite eight in their big years.  I feel like there should be far fewer A+ teams and far more in the C range.  But that's just me
2/17/2013 1:58 PM
Beek is my friend and he wants me to beat him in conference instead of non-conference. (can't wait for him to read that.)

Couldn't do it fancy on my phone, but bring it on bvb. I know I will have at least two years of dominating you before you get up to snuf. I'm holding out hope for a few more to try to make my record closer against you. Gannon vs. Gvsu the early years killed me.

Either way, congrats on another championship game with another school, and it'll be fun to have another great coach in the conference
2/17/2013 2:30 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7 Next ▸
D2 Season 62 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.