1946-1960 Sealed Bid X 5 league (FULL) Topic

This league will be similar to a Pick 6 league, but with maybe a bit more strategy in acquiring your players.

In each round of player selection in which you still need at least five players, you'll have $100 to spend.  You'll send me five player names (keeping in mind that only seasons from 1946-1960 can be used) and how much you are bidding on each player; all five bids must be positive integers, and they must sum to $100.  So, for example, you could try this:

$96 Mickey Mantle
$1 Yogi Berra
$1 Jackie Robinson
$1 Ernie Banks
$1 Al Rosen

Or this:

$35 Mickey Mantle
$20 Yogi Berra
$20 Jackie Robinson
$14 Ernie Banks
$11 Al Rosen

I'll send my picks for the round to the first two owners who send me their picks, before I have opened them.

After I have received all lists for a round, players will be awarded.  High bidder for any listed player gets that player; obviously, the most you could bid on a single player is $96.  If two owners are tied for the highest bid on a player, the player is thrown back into the draft pool for future rounds; any owner who has bid on such a player CANNOT bid for him in ANY subsequent round.

In the late rounds when you need fewer than five players to fill out your roster, bidding cash available is the number of players you need multiplied by $20.  (You'll only send a number of names equivalent to how many open slots you have at that point.)

I'm going to limit this to 16 owners, since I am not sure how much work it will be to process the rounds.

Other particulars: no salary cap, no to AAA, waivers, clones, trades, and DH.  Stadiums are not exclusive, and you can use any stadium that was used during any year in the 1946-1960 timeframe.

Hope you'll give it a whirl!  I have no idea how it will work out, but it sounds interesting to me.
1/8/2013 6:10 PM
Owner List:

1. davis
2. dorkster
3. rback
4. cholatse
5. pmars2001
6. calhoop
7. slowmoe
8. bargearse
9. tkcronin
10. talismen25
11. marlowe
12. grayfoxx
13. rejay
14. go_pre
15. brocktoon93
16. nocomm999

Mailing list: davis; dorkster; rback; cholatse; pmars2001; calhoop; slowmoe; bargearse; tkcronin; talismen25; marlowe; grayfoxx; rejay; go_pre; brocktoon93; nocomm999
1/16/2013 9:21 PM (edited)
I think I'm interested but I'm not sure I like the  owners tied for a player resolution. Theoretically a single owner could go for 20 rounds before getting a player. How about if 2 owners tie for the player niether owner gets that player but they do get one of the other 4 players they list.
1/9/2013 10:51 AM
Posted by rback on 1/9/2013 10:51:00 AM (view original):
I think I'm interested but I'm not sure I like the  owners tied for a player resolution. Theoretically a single owner could go for 20 rounds before getting a player. How about if 2 owners tie for the player niether owner gets that player but they do get one of the other 4 players they list.
They could potentially get all four other players they list... ALL players named on any lists are awarded, barring ties, so if you are the only owner who lists a player then you'd get him even if you only bid $1 for him.
1/9/2013 2:03 PM
So the idea is that you will get anywhere from no players to five players in a given round, depending on the bids for them made by other owners.
1/9/2013 2:03 PM
Are you bidding on the player or a specific season of the player.
1/9/2013 6:25 PM
We wait for all 16 owners to submit each round. You award the players & then we go to the next round. Correct ?
1/9/2013 7:23 PM
Posted by alston on 1/9/2013 6:25:00 PM (view original):
Are you bidding on the player or a specific season of the player.
You're bidding on the player.  If you get, say, Hank Aaron, then no one else can have him, and you can choose any of his seasons in the 1946-1960 range to use.
1/9/2013 7:53 PM
Posted by rback on 1/9/2013 7:23:00 PM (view original):
We wait for all 16 owners to submit each round. You award the players & then we go to the next round. Correct ?
Correct.  If it works out similarly to Pick 6 drafts, it should only take six or eight rounds.  I am thinking that's the longest it could take, because in Pick 6 drafts without the bidding component it frequently happens that owners will be shut out or only get a single player in the early rounds.  With the bidding component, I think it is less likely that people could get shut out (although it certainly could still happen with some bad luck).
1/9/2013 7:55 PM
Sorry to keep asking questions but why no trades ?
1/9/2013 10:58 PM
Oh, hell, I'm all over this.  Sign me up!
1/9/2013 11:21 PM
Posted by rback on 1/9/2013 10:58:00 PM (view original):
Sorry to keep asking questions but why no trades ?
I prefer no trades.  However, I am willing to subject this to a vote of owners.  We'd just have to make the decision before the draft started so that people could draft accordingly.
1/10/2013 7:07 AM
I'll play. I think trades would be Ok. I'll send my first round picks to you when we have 50% commitment
1/10/2013 11:29 AM
I'm in for this. 

And if it matters, I vote against trades.  I don't like trading in these leagues.  Part of the fun is having to play with the guys you draft or buy.  Lot's of drafting mistakes or bad luck can be corrected with trades and, to me it takes away from the theme.
1/10/2013 8:38 PM
For ease of reference, I went ahead and put each owner's trade vote after his name in the list (Dorkster did not express a preference).

I hope we can get some more people committed, I think this will be a really interesting mechanism for distributing players.  I have gone back and forth a dozen times on whether to bid 20-20-20-20-20 in the first round or go with something dramatic like 48-48-2-1-1.  It will be interesting to see the approaches that people take.
1/11/2013 11:44 AM
123 Next ▸
1946-1960 Sealed Bid X 5 league (FULL) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.