Parallel Progressive (PPL) FULL!! Waiting List Topic

Posted by dh555 on 1/14/2013 11:06:00 AM (view original):
im in with philly
Nice. We're moving in the right direction.

I'm on my phone and will update the forum when I get a chance.
1/14/2013 11:35 AM
Posted by Ginandjuice on 1/14/2013 11:31:00 AM (view original):
Posted by katernberg on 1/14/2013 9:39:00 AM (view original):
I am in for San Antonio Spurs

I would be willing to help but...
1: time difference to Germany
2: For at least 6 weeks every year I'm at places where there exists no Internet etc...

Ok.

Well I think you can still make this work if you're proactive. During the initial draft, make a draft board and send out proxies if you cant make your timeslot.

When you're going to be without internet access, just communicate and I'll work with you to make sure your team is taken care of if that happens before or during a offseason.

And if you want to help out, or anyone else, being the statistician is not a daily job. If you have excel, it'll probably take an hour or so of your time every offseason.
Statistics would be fine. Since I'm teaching Philosophy, Math and History at a Gymnasium....  I might understand a bit about it..
1/14/2013 11:43 AM
Great I'll put you down as a statistician then.
1/14/2013 12:18 PM
I'll run a Lakers team. Nice to see some of my ideas in here.

I would prefer that we just recycle retired players though rather than let them retire for good.
1/14/2013 3:44 PM
Posted by logain on 1/14/2013 3:44:00 PM (view original):
I'll run a Lakers team. Nice to see some of my ideas in here.

I would prefer that we just recycle retired players though rather than let them retire for good.
The supplemental pick was definitely your idea that I stole.
There will be time to figure that out. I want to see how the first drafts go first. To start, retiring players will just retire.
1/14/2013 3:56 PM
I don't want the league to end up like the PCL.

Any thought to dividing up the draft pool a bit?

For example.. for the first 5 years we could draft only players whose rookie year was 1989 or earlier
For the next 5 years we could draft players with rookie years 1999 or earlier
For the next 5 years we could draft players with rookie years 2009 or earlier
The next 5 years all players available.
The next 5 years we cycle back in rookies from pre-1989
The next 5 years we cycle back in rookies from pre-1999
etc
etc

The league could go on perpetually with always new exciting talent. The prize pots could run every 5 years and would correspond well to when the big drafts would hit. After 20 years everyone would be retired from the initial draft.. I think it could work quite well.
1/14/2013 4:04 PM
In, Brooklyn, thx for getting this started Gin!!
1/14/2013 4:52 PM
Posted by logain on 1/14/2013 4:04:00 PM (view original):
I don't want the league to end up like the PCL.

Any thought to dividing up the draft pool a bit?

For example.. for the first 5 years we could draft only players whose rookie year was 1989 or earlier
For the next 5 years we could draft players with rookie years 1999 or earlier
For the next 5 years we could draft players with rookie years 2009 or earlier
The next 5 years all players available.
The next 5 years we cycle back in rookies from pre-1989
The next 5 years we cycle back in rookies from pre-1999
etc
etc

The league could go on perpetually with always new exciting talent. The prize pots could run every 5 years and would correspond well to when the big drafts would hit. After 20 years everyone would be retired from the initial draft.. I think it could work quite well.
Me either. The problem with the PCL, in my opinion, is that there are awful teams that no one wants. There are some good players still in the draft pool every season, but nothing that can turn a team around.

To fix this, I want to double the draft pool, allow new owners first pick to start any season, and an additional supplemental draft pick in between the first and second rounds.

Having better players and giving a new owner a chance to 'put their stamp' on their new roster will make all the difference in the world. There are 3rd and 4th round picks from the PCL that could go undrafted, or will be quickly cut, because of the cap.

Another thing is that the PCL doesn't have a penalty for leaving. The 5$ GC may not be much, but you will lose it if you drop out.
1/14/2013 7:08 PM (edited)
Posted by theyard2 on 1/14/2013 4:52:00 PM (view original):
In, Brooklyn, thx for getting this started Gin!!
Thanks for joining, seriously.
1/14/2013 6:33 PM
I'm going to give you an example logain, since you brought up the PCL, and why I think the PPL will work.

Let's go off of the PCL drafting in a double draft style. Whoever had the first pick would have ended up with Jordan, Jerry Lucas, Kevin Durant, Dirk Nowitski, Swen Nater, Mark Jackson, Dale Davis, Mark Price, Tim Hardaway, Anthony Mason, Mookie Baylock, and Gerald Wallace.

I don't have to tell you that there's not a snowballs chance in hell all of those guys will fit under the cap. There would be years where Jordan and Durant alone would account for around 40% of the teams salary. In the PCL, Mookie Baylock (first pick in the 6th) was cut for salary reasons and was one of the first guys drafted in the offseason. Here, he projects as a late round/undrafted guy.

So, lets say that a new owner has to take over for someone that screwed up. There are going to be guys like Lucas and Nowitski (I don't want to name too many names, but I'm confident there will be plenty) available to draft. Not only will they be available, the new owner could decide to start with his very best year to make his team more competitive immediately. I would even consider allowing the supplemental player to have the same rule if other owners are in favor of it.

Like I told you before logain, I like your idea too. But I don't think the double draft and dividing draft pools should go together. There will always be All-Stars and even HOFers available to draft to turn a team around with how I've set this up.
1/14/2013 7:06 PM (edited)
The fact is, after owners have drafted their core, they really should be careful about not adding expensive players. Serviceable career back-ups that provide 'bang for buck' are going to be more valuable then they were even in the PCL.
1/14/2013 7:02 PM
Sitemailing with ncmusician got me thinking about a few other wrinkles. Since these are things brought up after people have already signed up, I'll open them up for any discussion.

I'm undecided on whether trading should be allowed during the first draft. My gut feeling was no, everyone should just draft in their spots unless they trade all of their picks for all of another owners picks. 

I want to simply the language in one of the rules. I think it's best to use any of a player's first three seasons in the WIS database, regardless of whether they missed a season or not in their first three years. Just easier to explain and check, I think.

Current players, playing in the NBA right now, do not have to "retire" when they run out of seasons. I want them to be eligible for IR, where they can be stashed until the next sim season is released. However, if a owner does not use the player's new season during the first PPL season after the new NBA WIS seasons are released, they will automatically be eligible to be drafted by another team. While waiting for the new Sim NBA seasons to be released, the player has to be listed on IR or they will go back into draft pool.

Players with partial seasons (traded, released, ect) with more than one team; you can use any of the seasons available. Ex. Wilt Chamberlain 64-65 has four seasons and you can use any of them.

If no one has strong objections to the last three slight changes, they will go in the rule book

Should cut players be frozen in time until they are picked back up?
1/14/2013 9:12 PM (edited)
It seems cool but I need to get a better understanding... I can be slow at times but I will read the rules a few times and site mail you with questions... just to make sure :)
1/14/2013 10:36 PM
I don't think the rule for cut players is a big one either way, but if I had to pick one I would say they should  NOT be frozen in time. I say that because I think year to year you could have a lot of roster turn over with such a strong waiver wire. Presuming the players cut are coming into years of less value, let them progress into potentially more valuable years in their career while they sit on the wire instead of frozen in a year that warranted them being cut. 
1/14/2013 10:38 PM
In, Charlotte Hornets
1/14/2013 10:46 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...8 Next ▸
Parallel Progressive (PPL) FULL!! Waiting List Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.