Patriots 9.5 points favorites over Ravens Topic

My tentative list (though I'm relatively young and admittedly didn't watch many of the older guys first-hand):

1. Montana
2. Manning
3. Young
4. Elway
5. Brady
6. Marino
7. Unitas
8. Rodgers
9. Kelly
10. Fouts

The inclusion of Unitas is based on research and reputation, so I'll accept disagreement with that pick, though in my estimation, he should be included despite being an old school QB. I know Rodgers is young, but I feel he is good enough to include on this list.
2/14/2013 11:32 PM
Some others to think about:

Otto Graham
Sammy Baugh
Bart Starr
2/14/2013 11:45 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/14/2013 11:33:00 PM (view original):
My tentative list (though I'm relatively young and admittedly didn't watch many of the older guys first-hand):

1. Montana
2. Manning
3. Young
4. Elway
5. Brady
6. Marino
7. Unitas
8. Rodgers
9. Kelly
10. Fouts

The inclusion of Unitas is based on research and reputation, so I'll accept disagreement with that pick, though in my estimation, he should be included despite being an old school QB. I know Rodgers is young, but I feel he is good enough to include on this list.
Can't argue with any of that really, but Favres gotta be in the top ten! Love watching the Unitas highlights.
2/14/2013 11:48 PM
Posted by ramonshaw on 2/14/2013 11:45:00 PM (view original):
Some others to think about:

Otto Graham
Sammy Baugh
Bart Starr
Graham for sure, but I just can't truly judge his talent cause I only have seen the highlights.
2/14/2013 11:49 PM
Posted by The Taint on 2/14/2013 11:48:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Jtpsops on 2/14/2013 11:33:00 PM (view original):

1. Montana
2. Manning
3. Young
4. Elway
5. Brady
6. Marino
7. Unitas
8. Rodgers
9. Kelly
10. Fouts

Can't argue with any of that really, but Favres gotta be in the top ten! Love watching the Unitas highlights.
Sorry - that was honestly a brain cramp and not to do with our discussion.

Favre would be #9 and Kelly and Fouts a toss-up at #10.
2/14/2013 11:52 PM
Can't argue with that...can't wait to see CRESTY'S LIST WITH PENNINGTON AT 6.
2/14/2013 11:56 PM
1. Montana

2. Elway
3. Brady
4. Aikman - Amazed nobody brought him up.  Tightest spirals ever.
5. Unitas
6. Manning
7. Young - If he didn't waste years in the USFL and Tampa and behind Joe, he might be higher
8. Staubach - If he and Bradshaw swapped teams, he would've had the four Super Bowls
9. Bradshaw
10. Otto Graham

Brett Favre is nowhere near this group.  The next ten are a jumble of Warner, Marino, Kelly, Starr, Fouts, Moon, Brees, (ok, maybe Favre), Dawson, Stabler (i have a soft spot for the 70's)

2/15/2013 3:36 AM
I'll give my top ten with the caveat that I haven't sat down and analyzed it and so it is "off the top of my head", meaning I could easily forget someone or something that may change it later.

Also, keep in mind I don't put nearly as much value on post-season and Super Bowl success as many people do. It's important, but not that **** much.

Having said all that:

1. Peyton Manning
2. Steve Young
3. John Elway
4. Kurt Warner
5. Joe Montana
6. Jim Kelly
7. Dan Marino
8. Brett Favre
9. Aaron Rodgers
10. Drew Brees

Brady is not even close to any of these guys as far as I'm concerned. There are probably at least 10-20 more QBs before he's even close to being listed, and maybe more.

2/15/2013 8:33 AM
Posted by The Taint on 2/14/2013 11:03:00 PM (view original):
and **** Nomah
Hey!  Bastahd!

1) Brady
2) Brady
3) Brady
2/15/2013 9:07 AM
I won't try to rank 10 because I think it's all but impossible to compare a 70s QB to 2012 QB.   The rules are so different that the numbers just aren't comparable.   From memory, by decade, of players I saw play(I'm sure I'll forget someone in every group or put a guy in the wrong decade):

70s-Bradshaw, Stabler, Staubach, Tarkenton
80s-Marino, Fouts, Montana
90s-Young, Elway(begrudgingly), Aikman, Favre
00s-Mannings(both), Brady, Brees(although leaving him out wouldn't be crazy)

I couldn't really come up with a 4th in the 80s.  I guess I could move Elway to the 80s but I didn't think much of him then.  If I did that, I'd add Kelly to the 90s.  But I won't.   **** Elway and Kelly. 
2/15/2013 9:10 AM
My Serious list

1) Montana
2) Elway
3) Marino
4) Brady
5) Manning
6) Young
7) Moon
8) Farve/Kelly
9) Warner
10) Brees

Just going by guys i saw.

P.S.  No one cares about you bis.  
2/15/2013 9:27 AM
Posted by The Taint on 2/14/2013 11:02:00 PM (view original):
and Burnsy
1) Manning
2) Young
3) Montana
4) Elway
5) Marino
6) Favre
7) Brady
8) Unitas
9) Graham
10) Brees

3 things -  

1) I know I'll get **** for putting Young up there.  But he was the best QB of the 90s.  Period.  Look up the stats.  And he won 2 Super Bowls.  It's hard to do, but if you separate him from Montana, imagine him on another team, and everyone thinks he's top 5.  Young also had Favre/Packers and Aikman/Cowboys to deal with, better quality teams that I'd argue Montana didn't have to deal with.  Just my opinion. 

2) I'm going to take back my Kelly-hate somewhat.  I tried to do an honest ranking here, and found I was ranking Kelly somewhere between 12-14, so close to top 10.  But he's not near Marino, in my opinion.

3) I think Rodgers will be on this list within a few years.  He needs more experience, though, so I didn't rank him.

2/15/2013 10:20 AM (edited)
I couldn't include Rodgers yet either.  That said, i really hate him.  I mean, what QB needs to have a ******* move after he throws a TD pass.  So ******* annoying.
2/15/2013 10:34 AM
Something else I also noticed - in the 20 minutes of research I did trying to rank these guys, Ken Anderson came up a few times.  He might be the most underrated QB of all time.  Nobody says **** about him but he played very well over an extended period of time.
2/15/2013 10:38 AM
That's how I feel about Tarkenton.   Dude threw for 47000 yard and ran for 3000 more.   He played in an era where the INT wasn't the death of a QB and, when completion percentage took on more importance, he increased his accuracy.    He averaged 20 passing, 2 rushing TD on his career and, if I'm not mistaken, lost 3-4 Super Bowls.   Put a couple of SB wins in there and he gets a lot more all-time love.
2/15/2013 10:53 AM
◂ Prev 1...52|53|54|55|56...85 Next ▸
Patriots 9.5 points favorites over Ravens Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.