Somebody needs to be fired Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by taniajane on 2/18/2013 10:19:00 PM (view original):
I would say just fire them ...you have an elite program like kentucky or fla....and  "13 seasons no NT" ?   And some say reward that record with something  free??? I would make them start over at Div 3
In real life they're rewarded with something free. 
2/18/2013 10:21 PM
fire them and give them an analyst job on espn
2/19/2013 12:40 AM
Posted by emy1013 on 2/18/2013 8:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by rsvphr on 2/1/2013 10:52:00 PM (view original):
Here is the situation as I see it: I have over 30 years experience in marketing strategy. When you have a brand with declining new users and a drop off in retention of the new users you are generating, cost management become a priority and a potential end game strategy for the brand's demise is implemented (hence the virtual elimination of any new developments for the game). You might make some simple, low cost cosmetic changes to your product periodically, giving it the illusion of attention. You would also assess your customer base and eliminate elements that would cost you their business (i.e. firings)
If you have concluded that the long term prognosis for the brand is not good but the erosion of your customer base is gradual, you would maximize your profitability by being austere about spending money and manpower on the brand and ride out its decline for as long as the brand creates any profit under its own power. Your attention would be focused on any other brands that have growth potential or the development of new brands.
How many of us have said we will continue to play even if we don't see activity on the part of management? They know that and take that into account. If management had not concluded the HD brand is terminal, we'd see regular information exchange between vendor and customer (e-newsletters, status announcements, updated user guides) with a focus on customer satisfaction elements.
Enjoy HD for as long as you can but do not anticipate change.

I would love for someone at WIS to show up and refute this post, but I'm afraid that RSV has it dead on.  The game is fading away and I think everyone that's been around for any length of time knows it, whether they want to admit it or not.
now that you've mentioned this post multiple times, i guess ill take a crack at it :)

i dont think he has it dead on. as a general theory, sure, there is some validity - but i dont believe that is the case here. i think the reality is, at WIS they DONT go through this kind of thought process. he says, "they know that [users would continue to play without any updates] and take that into account". i dont know if i buy that. i dont see that level of analysis present in any of their other decisions, so i dont know why you can conclude that in this case. you think they put the effort forth to think about what they should do, and decided to let the program slide. i disagree, i just think they are asleep at the wheel, that WIS got bought by fox and put under the control of someone who didnt give a ****, some useless mid manager who doesnt know his dick from his *******. the management of the entire product line is so poor, i just cannot believe that there is actually someone in a position to do something, who is actually THINKING. i just dont buy it. i buy that some people are stupid, but that stupid? i dont know, i think lazy carries a much higher probability.

edit: i guess i could direct this at the OP, but we both know id rather waste my time arguing with you, emy ;)
2/19/2013 3:41 PM (edited)
I must say that I also doubt that stupidity is an issue. I think most of what they have done with this game is pretty impressive. The inattention and the woeful lack of marketing the game are like the chicken and the egg. But the core game is not in decline, it's stagnant. Which for the optimist in me means it needs innovation, not mouth to mouth resuscitation.
2/19/2013 6:24 PM
Posted by rsvphr on 2/19/2013 6:24:00 PM (view original):
I must say that I also doubt that stupidity is an issue. I think most of what they have done with this game is pretty impressive. The inattention and the woeful lack of marketing the game are like the chicken and the egg. But the core game is not in decline, it's stagnant. Which for the optimist in me means it needs innovation, not mouth to mouth resuscitation.
i think tarek had a pretty impressive vision, although i couldn't stand his admin style. i think seble does a much better job of listening to users, it really went a long way in saving the game after the initial round of potential, which was borderline catastrophic. but its also his weakness - he lacks the vision, and i honestly think he has no idea what it is like to coach at a high level, which is not all you build around, but its important to understand how things feel to veterans who have spent many years building a feel for the game. and its important to keep things balanced and fair at the high end - those issues are much less important in mid level play, where coaching mistakes and misconceptions can dramatically outweigh things like, slight imbalances in the effectiveness of particular sets or strategies. and anyway, without that vision, i feel like seble listens too much to complainers and doesnt do that all-important step - successful companies listen to customer complains, but they dont just take their suggestions. they know their product and services better than the customer, and they look at where the pain is, and figure out ways to resolve that pain - which they should be able to do much better than a customer, for whom this product or service is NOT their core business (and usually not even close). seble is at the level that he can listen to customers to identify problems, but its his core business, he should be better at solving the problems - and when it comes to architecting solutions and maintaining a subtle balance, he is pretty weak, IMO. case in point, d1 recruit generation - total disaster, shed a third of all d1 coaches, but i dont feel like he understands the problem, let alone, how to fix it.

but by far the biggest problem, IMO, is not seble. its like big shots at fox dont even know wis exists - its not even big enough to make a line item on a balance sheet. and it seems that whoever they put in charge is damn near brain dead (or else, is busy with other stuff, and doesnt know how to delegate). i think these products have great potential, but that the teams for the games dont have the resources they need to get the job done. so, i cant really give seble the majority of the blame, its like blaming a waitress for slow service when there are only 2 people working a busy lunch shift, and one is manning the bar, doing nothing. although i definitely think there are a number of things he could do better, but on the whole, at least hes friendly and TRIES to listen. i really do think he tries, i just dont think hes setup for success, and i dont think he has the vision to do it all himself, even if he was given the time and testing resources. 
2/19/2013 10:30 PM
A lot of good stuff here...smiles aplenty for the c19 lol
2/19/2013 10:54 PM
I don't even know how you can say that he tries to listen when we don't hear anything from him for months at a time.  At the VERY least, he could pop in once a week, just to let us know that someone is still steering the ship and that we're not running totally on autopilot.
2/19/2013 10:56 PM
◂ Prev 12
Somebody needs to be fired Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.