OT- Te'o "scandal" Topic

Ok so I personally think it sounds a little phony especially when a teammate says some of the players knew his GF was a fake but went along with it because Manti wanted attention. However, IDK what the big deal about the story is. It is all I have heard about on Sports Center for the last like... 3 days WTF?!?

I gotta ask what others think (I know we will find more information later)? also
Is the big deal with this story because of how it will affect his draft stock or what?
1/17/2013 8:05 PM
I've lost a lot of respect for him. Was never a ND fan, but I genuinely liked the guy.

I find it sick that people would go to this length for a little attention.
1/17/2013 8:36 PM
Well, I still don't understand it all.  I have not followed it closely today, but I can't tell if he faked it, or if he was faked, or what....it is all just weird.   If he was at the root of it, then he might could use a little counseling, because there is something waiting beneath the exterior.
1/17/2013 8:52 PM
Sadly, I fell for what sounds like the exact same scandal.  Everything from the never meeting to the part of the leukemia killing my "gf" to her all of a sudden still being alive.  There were what I figure now is fake conversations with her dad on instant messenger and meeting her cousin (she for some reason had an extended stay out of state taking care of the family business).  I'm not sure her cousin is actually her or what.  It was really elaborate.  I could sit down with any of you over a couple of beers and still not have enough time to tell the whole story.  So...I actually believe this guy.  I read the story and almost everything sounded like my ordeal.  I even ended up meeting a friend of a friend that fell for this same person's story.  Crazy and unbelievable..but true.
1/17/2013 9:03 PM
Let's just file this whole story under "Who Gives a ****"
1/17/2013 9:05 PM
+1^^^
1/17/2013 9:08 PM
+100
1/17/2013 9:15 PM
I don't think he faked it, at least not prior to about December....The answer is that Manti Teo is just an even bigger moron I thought, and has to be the laughing stock of all college football, and more.  Nuff said.
1/17/2013 11:51 PM
I think he's gay and conjured up this whole thing to keep the guys off his back.  Its probably not easy playing football (and being captain) at a Catholic school as a Mormon gay minority.    He should have come out about it sooner, people would get over it.
1/18/2013 12:00 AM
If he were gay then his fake online girlfriend would still be alive, right?
1/18/2013 12:44 AM

This story is fascinating.  First, according to reports, Teo learned on December 9 about the fraud. But  On December 10 or 11, he gave a videotaped interview talking about the death of his girlfriend from cancer.  Second, he didn't report this "hoax" to coach Kelly until the 26th,  The ND AD says it was because Teo wanted to tell his parents about it face-to-face and he went back to Hawaii for Christmas.  But Teo was with his parents for two days after December 9 including for the Heisman ceremony.  Third, (and this may be a little off), Teo said he never met the girlfriend face-to-face.  His Dad, however, has given recorded interviews detailing meetings between Teo and the girlfriend after the Stanford game and multiple meetings between the two in Hawaii.  Fourth, the accounts used to "scam" Teo were from a "friend" from Hawaii who has said that he is "80 percent" sure teo knew it was a fraud.  Who the F is 80 percent sure about anything.  That kid was in a car accident around the same time the fake girlfriend was supposedly in a car accident.  The kid said he catfished other people but the longest they were duped was about a month.  Teo was two years?

Teo has said he spent long nights on the phone falling to sleep with her.  I REALLY want to see him produce those phone records.

This s is really really weird and I think its going to get more interesting.

1/18/2013 12:48 AM
Posted by cydrych on 1/18/2013 12:00:00 AM (view original):
I think he's gay and conjured up this whole thing to keep the guys off his back.  Its probably not easy playing football (and being captain) at a Catholic school as a Mormon gay minority.    He should have come out about it sooner, people would get over it.
Not sure if you're joking but there is a theory floating around about this.  See deadspin.com
1/18/2013 12:49 AM
I so don't care. Get off my sports channels. Go away non sports story. Go away.
1/18/2013 1:02 AM
Posted by dublinuf on 1/18/2013 1:02:00 AM (view original):
I so don't care. Get off my sports channels. Go away non sports story. Go away.

If its not a sports story, why was every journalist/announcer constantly brining up the dead girlfriend story throughout the season, Heisman race and BCS Championship game?

1/18/2013 1:07 AM
Well there's no question the man is a lier. What nfl gms do from here is on them....
1/18/2013 2:32 AM
123 Next ▸
OT- Te'o "scandal" Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.