How about that..... Topic

Posted by jclarkbaker on 1/20/2013 10:45:00 PM (view original):
There is an official definition of climate?

No warming for over a decade.

Developing world is spewing carbon like crazy. Nothing the developed world does will matter as a result. If carbon is actually causing global warming, you had better invest in AC companies.

Oh, and how much of the atmosphere is made up of carbon? And, these guys have no ******* understanding of the variables at play in the atmosphere. That's why the models are a joke.
Yes JClark, there is an official definition of climate. From the NASA/NOAA website:

<<What Climate Means
In short, climate is the description of the long-term pattern of weather in a particular area.

Some scientists define climate as the average weather for a particular region and time period, usually taken over 30-years. It's really an average pattern of weather for a particular region. >>

Our atmosphere used to be loaded with carbon. And over millions of years it was captured and "stored." The atmosphere changed, life evolved with the new atmosphere profile. And now, with the usage of fossil fuels, we are releasing that carbon back into the atmosphere at rates exponential to when it was captured. Life cannot evolve fast enough to keep up. You are probably not aware that at one point in Earth's history there was an "Oxygen Holocaust", when the levels of oxygen in the atmosphere wiped out much life.

The point is, if we screw things up, and they reach a tipping point, there is not going to be a quick turning back. Once we screw it up, it is likely to stay screwed up with serious consequences for a long time. But go ahead and be an ostrich. You can create a video and leave it for your future generations to watch while you explain that this was a hoax, that humans were not responsible, yadda, yadda, yadda. You will sound oh, so smart.

1/22/2013 5:16 AM

Developing world is spewing carbon like crazy. Nothing the developed world does will matter as a result. If carbon is actually causing global warming, you had better invest in AC companies.

Oh, and how much of the atmosphere is made up of carbon? And, these guys have no ******* understanding of the variables at play in the atmosphere. That's why the models are a joke.
no warming over a decade?  Whos "science" proves that?  Im guessing its the petroleum products association.  Because it would take an org as biased as that to fudge the numbers so badly.  And to have the motivation to do it.

Its true, the developing world is spewing carbon like crazy.  But there are things that we can do about it.  If the entire 1st world gave economic incentives and disincentives according to the amount of pollution and carbon each 3rd world country releases then yes we can make a big difference.  And if we boycott countries that make no change that will do the job too.  Easy-peasy.

Carbon is only one piece of the puzzle.  There are tons of factors at work.  Methane, particulates, water vapour and C02 are the most common and powerful greenhouse gases out there.  All of which have increased dramatically over the last several decades.  It is a positive feedback loop, and its getting stronger and stronger every year. 

I cant believe you think they have no idea.  They have been studying this since before I and probably you were ever born.  And these guys have big *** brains.  And they have big *** computers too. 

1/22/2013 8:38 AM
Jclark is a big ***, does that count for something?
1/22/2013 11:27 AM
Posted by greeny9 on 1/22/2013 8:38:00 AM (view original):

no warming over a decade?  Whos "science" proves that?  Im guessing its the petroleum products association.  Because it would take an org as biased as that to fudge the numbers so badly.  And to have the motivation to do it.

Its true, the developing world is spewing carbon like crazy.  But there are things that we can do about it.  If the entire 1st world gave economic incentives and disincentives according to the amount of pollution and carbon each 3rd world country releases then yes we can make a big difference.  And if we boycott countries that make no change that will do the job too.  Easy-peasy.

Carbon is only one piece of the puzzle.  There are tons of factors at work.  Methane, particulates, water vapour and C02 are the most common and powerful greenhouse gases out there.  All of which have increased dramatically over the last several decades.  It is a positive feedback loop, and its getting stronger and stronger every year. 

I cant believe you think they have no idea.  They have been studying this since before I and probably you were ever born.  And these guys have big *** brains.  And they have big *** computers too. 

Wait?  Does Mr. Hansen now work for "the petroleum products association"?  No.  No, he doesn't.

Big brains!  Big computers!  Hoooray!  You mean big brains, that always think they are right?  And big computers that are useless unless inputted with data?  Data that has proved to be inaccurate?  And big computers whose programs must account for every single variable of the atmosphere to be accurate?  And you realize that these guys don't know all the variables, right?  You are aware of that, right?  And you wonder why those doomsday prophecies of the UN have not come to pass?

Oh, and on that note, have you noticed that he UN has drastically downgraded the predicted "warming" in coming years?  Why?  How come?

1/22/2013 12:11 PM
Posted by jclarkbaker on 1/22/2013 12:11:00 PM (view original):
Posted by greeny9 on 1/22/2013 8:38:00 AM (view original):

Wait?  Does Mr. Hansen now work for "the petroleum products association"?  No.  No, he doesn't.

Big brains!  Big computers!  Hoooray!  You mean big brains, that always think they are right?  And big computers that are useless unless inputted with data?  Data that has proved to be inaccurate?  And big computers whose programs must account for every single variable of the atmosphere to be accurate?  And you realize that these guys don't know all the variables, right?  You are aware of that, right?  And you wonder why those doomsday prophecies of the UN have not come to pass?

Oh, and on that note, have you noticed that he UN has drastically downgraded the predicted "warming" in coming years?  Why?  How come?

You have no idea who Mr Hansen works for.  He may or may not, this is all irrelevant anyways, he is in the tiny minority that believes CC is fake.

If you dont want to believe the overwhelming EVIDENCE then you are a fool.  We arent talking about a few more thunderstorms, we are talking about massive changes happening over the past several decades, and even more so in the past few years.  Its accelerating.  Hurricanes hit more often and with more force, massive droughts all over the world in the past few summers, summer sea ice in the Arctic is melting much faster then ever before, and they predict that the ice will be completely gone by summer 2015.  Much more is happening, but Im tired of banging my head against a stone wall like your head.

I havent heard of that, how about proving it with a link?     
1/22/2013 12:23 PM
jclark

1/22/2013 12:28 PM
The best part of the last two posts (by greeny and occsid), is that they obviously have no ******* idea who Dr. Hansen is, and that he is actually the biggest of all the global warming fanatics.  Way to go guys.  Keep up the good work.
1/22/2013 1:19 PM
I wonder why jtard doesn't provide a link. I'm guessing, based on a recent report of Hansen's that it's because the tardster is trying to quote something out of context, and claim that the scince has all been disproven.

Nice try.
1/22/2013 4:44 PM
No response to my post JClark....too sciency?
1/22/2013 5:17 PM
  • Erie, Pa., officially picked up 16.3 inches of snow at the airport Monday alone, making it the snowiest January calendar day on record, and the snowiest day in any month for Erie since Nov. 29, 1979! Snowfall records there began in 1893.
  • Other parts of the city of Erie received as much as 24 inches of snow Monday
1/22/2013 6:12 PM
And it's ******* 0 in Michigan today....global warming...
1/22/2013 6:18 PM
After reading this thread, I've concluded that all the people who absolutely believe in Global Warming as a major and urgent threat probably don't understand science all that well...

Not saying it isn't a problem, and a fairly urgent one, but none of you seem to get it at all.
1/22/2013 6:23 PM
Greeny in particular sounds extremely ignorant...

Yay for making friends!
1/22/2013 6:24 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 1/22/2013 6:23:00 PM (view original):
After reading this thread, I've concluded that all the people who absolutely believe in Global Warming as a major and urgent threat probably don't understand science all that well...

Not saying it isn't a problem, and a fairly urgent one, but none of you seem to get it at all.
funny dahs...I was about to say the same thing to those that deny it's a problem. Again, people who quote daily weather as evidence either way clearly show their lack of understanding of a complex issue.
1/22/2013 8:47 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 1/22/2013 6:24:00 PM (view original):
Greeny in particular sounds extremely ignorant...

Yay for making friends!
Yah, I sound extremely ignorant.  Ive read dozens of books on environment and climate and social justice issues, and Im ignorant.  Deniers are ignorant.  But what else can I and the vast majority of scientists can possibly say to convince people that climate change is a clear and present danger?  I dont think there is much chance of that because people dont want to change.  They are afraid of it.  Oh well, I am going to continue the good fight because I have a 5 yr old, and I want to do everything that I can do to leave the Earth in better shape that I found it in.  Fat chance of that happening, but just because that is impossible doesnt mean I shouldnt try.
1/22/2013 11:04 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...28 Next ▸
How about that..... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.