WHEN WILD BOARS ATTACK? Topic

Then it's not effective. 

NJ was meant to be CT.   VaTech.

Doors that can be kicked in are not secure doors.  Think steel doors used for entering a coliseum.  Or, at the very least, turn the doors around so they open outward.  Much tougher to kick in. 

Denying entrance to anyone who should not be there is quite reasonable.  Want to pick up your kid early for a camping trip?  Call the school, let them know in advance.
1/22/2013 9:36 AM
Posted by deathinahole on 1/22/2013 9:30:00 AM (view original):
And I haven't locked the doors of my house for 8 years, so we start off on a different plane.
Yeah, well no one wants to steal back bacon or Molson.
1/22/2013 9:37 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 1/22/2013 9:34:00 AM (view original):
"Police have already determined that gunman Adam Lanza, 20, was not buzzed into Sandy Hook, where he was once a student.
“He forced his way into the school,” Vance said. He did not provide specifics and said that broken windows at the school may have been shattered by police who responded to the emergency."

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/15/15926718-newtown-gunman-forced-his-way-into-school-police-say?lite

I think what you are talking about Mike is all ready in practice.  Schools are secure but if you REALLY want to get in to one you can.

Kind of like if you REALLY  want a newly outlawed gun, you can get one?
1/22/2013 9:38 AM
And I haven't locked the doors of my house for 8 years, so we start off on a different plane.
Yes, there is no doubt that there are two very different cultures.   And it has nothing to do with guns.
1/22/2013 9:40 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/22/2013 9:36:00 AM (view original):
Then it's not effective. 

Doors that can be kicked in are not secure doors.  Think steel doors used for entering a coliseum.  Or, at the very least, turn the doors around so they open outward.  Much tougher to kick in. 

Denying entrance to anyone who should not be there is quite reasonable.  Want to pick up your kid early for a camping trip?  Call the school, let them know in advance.
Well, Virginia Tech is a college.  That's a little different you know.

I think you could put all the doors in the world up  but if someone wants to get in they will.  Short of putting airline security by the front door, nothing is going to be 100% effective.

And again, I think you have a faulty premise.  Schools aren't just letting anyone in.  It's hard to get into a school.  Most places you have to go through a locked door, a dedicated security officer or both.
1/22/2013 9:43 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/22/2013 9:40:00 AM (view original):
Yes, there is no doubt that there are two very different cultures.   And it has nothing to do with guns.
I wouldn't say nothing, but less that what most are making of it, yea.
1/22/2013 9:47 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 1/22/2013 9:37:00 AM (view original):
Yeah, well no one wants to steal back bacon or Molson.
If I wanted any ****, I'd scrape it off the streets of New Jersey.
1/22/2013 9:47 AM
Or just follow Mike around, it flows freely from his mouth and keyboard....
1/22/2013 9:49 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 1/22/2013 9:43:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/22/2013 9:36:00 AM (view original):
Then it's not effective. 

Well, Virginia Tech is a college.  That's a little different you know.

I think you could put all the doors in the world up  but if someone wants to get in they will.  Short of putting airline security by the front door, nothing is going to be 100% effective.

And again, I think you have a faulty premise.  Schools aren't just letting anyone in.  It's hard to get into a school.  Most places you have to go through a locked door, a dedicated security officer or both.
If someone wants an assault weapon, they will get one. 

If the objective is to protect children, put airline security at the front door if that's the only way.   Where are your priorities?
1/22/2013 9:50 AM
BTW, I'm all for both of these:

"Wouldn't registering all firearms be a massive overhaul?
Wouldn't an extended prison sentence for possessing an unregistered firearm be a massive overhaul?"

However, if you mention better securing of schools to a gun control advocate, he wants nothing to do with it(see: trentonjoe).   It's unreasonable and, as they say, anyone wanting access to school grounds will gain access to school grounds.   And they can't fathom that the same applies to illegal firearms.

It's almost comical.  And would be if not so stupid.
1/22/2013 10:07 AM

The Newtown shooter did not plan his attack by going out and getting an assault weapon "because he really wanted one".  He used the one that was freely available to him in his mother's house.  There's no telling (since she's dead, too) whether she "really would have wanted one" enough to get one if it was illegal.  It was legal when she bought it, so that's a moot point for argument.

My recollection is that he got into the school by shooting out the windows by the front door.  So the "fix" for that would be bulletproof glass.  Not just there, but for every window in the school.

The superintendent of schools in my town sent out an email last week that contained the following:

"One situation that needs to be addressed promptly is the door locks in our classrooms. Currently most classroom doors do not lock from the interior of the classroom. This has been a top area of concern for our staff. Last night I attended the Board of Finance meeting and explained our immediate need to rectify this situation. During the meeting the board supported the idea of utilizing current reserves to fund the replacement of the locks at a cost of $177,000. Formal approval of this process is anticipated in the near future."

1/22/2013 10:23 AM
So, one crazy dictates policy in America?   Yeah, that makes sense.

SECURE......THE.....*******......SCHOOLS.

Unless, of course, that's just too much cost/trouble.
1/22/2013 10:32 AM
The biggest question to be answered is, if the government bans HCAW and the next mass shooting takes place with 9mm hand guns and a pocket full of clips does that mean we need to ban 9mm hand guns? Then after that some turd takes out a bunch of kids with a .22 and his parka stuffed with clips. Do we then ban .22's? Where does it stop? What about rocket launchers? They could kill a lot of people and you wouldn't even have to get inside the building. We better ban those too before some kook gets his hands on one.

There is no easy answer. I believe in the right to bear arms. Hunting, target shooting, and protection are the only reasons to ever fire a gun. HCAW are illegal to use for hunting. You surely don't need to practice target shooting with one, and if you need one for protection then you and the police in your area have a big F'n problem.

Some people say guns aren't the problem, it's the person. But logic asks, why does average American Joe need a HCAW? The 2nd Amendment became law back in the days when people had a gun with a single shot. It was inacted so people could arm themselves in case America was ever invaded or to fight off an internal uprising. Did Hitler allow the Jews to bear arms? What would happen if Obama told the Armed Forces to go out across America and confiscate all the guns from the public? Are you going to shoot an entire squad of heavily armed military trained soldiers, even if you have a HCAW? Not by yourself, but if your entire neighborhood had them you could possibly provide some resistance. So, maybe they shouldn't be banned either. Who knows when or where the next Hitler will show up?
1/22/2013 10:35 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/22/2013 10:32:00 AM (view original):
So, one crazy dictates policy in America?   Yeah, that makes sense.

SECURE......THE.....*******......SCHOOLS.

Unless, of course, that's just too much cost/trouble.
Yeah.  I'm sure Adam Lanza is the only person in the history of the world who has ever decided to carry out a violent crime with the weapons he had readily available to him.  What a ******* brilliant analysis that is.  You should join the FBI with that kind of thoughtful insight.

And in case you haven't noticed, mass shootings don't just happen in schools.  They happen in movies theaters, malls, etc.  Let's secure everything with bulletproof glass and armor.

And while we're at it, lets take it a step further.  Everybody should wear a ******* Kevlar body suit if they head out to the local convenience store to buy a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk.
1/22/2013 10:59 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/22/2013 10:07:00 AM (view original):
BTW, I'm all for both of these:

"Wouldn't registering all firearms be a massive overhaul?
Wouldn't an extended prison sentence for possessing an unregistered firearm be a massive overhaul?"

However, if you mention better securing of schools to a gun control advocate, he wants nothing to do with it(see: trentonjoe).   It's unreasonable and, as they say, anyone wanting access to school grounds will gain access to school grounds.   And they can't fathom that the same applies to illegal firearms.

It's almost comical.  And would be if not so stupid.
Sir, I am all for securing schools.   I work in one.   I have no desire to be shot.

What I was trying to say, and it must not have been clear, is that the security measures you mentioned are in place in most school districts.

I think your plan of making steel doors that open out (because that's important somehow) and TSA level security is not effective OR cost effective.

I also understand that you don't think banning AK's will be effective but I believe you are wrong.

Have a great day and try to avoid those wild boars!

1/22/2013 11:03 AM (edited)
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...26 Next ▸
WHEN WILD BOARS ATTACK? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.