WHEN WILD BOARS ATTACK? Topic

Posted by tecwrg on 1/22/2013 10:59:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/22/2013 10:32:00 AM (view original):
So, one crazy dictates policy in America?   Yeah, that makes sense.

SECURE......THE.....*******......SCHOOLS.

Unless, of course, that's just too much cost/trouble.
Yeah.  I'm sure Adam Lanza is the only person in the history of the world who has ever decided to carry out a violent crime with the weapons he had readily available to him.  What a ******* brilliant analysis that is.  You should join the FBI with that kind of thoughtful insight.

And in case you haven't noticed, mass shootings don't just happen in schools.  They happen in movies theaters, malls, etc.  Let's secure everything with bulletproof glass and armor.

And while we're at it, lets take it a step further.  Everybody should wear a ******* Kevlar body suit if they head out to the local convenience store to buy a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk.

1 shotgun, two 9m, a bookbag full of ammo.

WHAT.....THE.....****....DO.....WE.....BAN.....WHEN....SOMEONE.....USES.....THESE....TO....KILL.....A ......GROUP.....OF.....PEOPLE.....AT.....THE....MALL?

Seems you are as stupid as the rest of the left.  

1/22/2013 11:02 AM
So your answer is, what . . . we might as well let these assault weapons remain available because crazy people can kill with handguns anyways?  Or with bricks?  Or with sharpened screwdrivers?

Do you realize how stupid that sounds?
1/22/2013 11:35 AM
My question has always been "What problem do you hope to resolve?"  

Banning and collecting HCAW doesn't solve the problem you seem to be presenting.    It just makes you all warm and fuzzy because you "did something".

Address the problem.    You know, by making people register all firearms, because even the little ones can kill people, and increase prison terms for possession of an unregistered firearms.    Then secure the ******* schools with something more than a sign that says "No trespassing" and a door that can be kicked in by a 120 lb crazy person.
1/22/2013 11:45 AM
I have the answer.
Let's all in-home school our kids, no need to go to school. Let's all get NetFlix and watch movies at home, no need to go to a movie theater. Let's all order our shopping needs on-line and have them delivered right to our home, no need to go to the mall. Then let's install bulletproof glass in our homes, full solid metal doors with 6 locks on each one. Let's put up a trip wire around the perimeter of our property and attach it to landmines. Let's have the local authorities inform the public immediately and continuously for 6 months on the release of any prison or insane assylum inmate. Let's become prisoners in our own homes and be safe.

Maybe it's time to start eliminating the violence kids see on TV and in video games. Our entertainment industry is gluttoned with it. How many people get abducted, raped, murdered on an average night on TV? None of that stuff needs to be seen by kids and I can guarantee that there are millions of adults that let their kids watch. In the mean time if we are going to allow guns into our schools for protection let's also allow God back into our schools. Guns alone won't do it.
1/22/2013 12:11 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/22/2013 11:45:00 AM (view original):

Banning and collecting HCAW doesn't solve the problem you seem to be presenting.    It just makes you all warm and fuzzy because you "did something".

Address the problem.    You know, by making people register all firearms, because even the little ones can kill people, and increase prison terms for possession of an unregistered firearms.    Then secure the ******* schools with something more than a sign that says "No trespassing" and a door that can be kicked in by a 120 lb crazy person.
You keep focusing on the schools. Like tec said, mass shootings happen at all kinds of different places.

HCAW are very good at what they are designed to do--kill people. They are more effective than handguns in a mass shooting situation. Make HCAW illegal and therefore harder to get and we make an incremental improvement to public safety.

It doesn't solve all problems. It doesn't stop all shootings. But it is an improvement.
1/22/2013 12:21 PM
Posted by bheid408 on 1/22/2013 12:11:00 PM (view original):
I have the answer.
Let's all in-home school our kids, no need to go to school. Let's all get NetFlix and watch movies at home, no need to go to a movie theater. Let's all order our shopping needs on-line and have them delivered right to our home, no need to go to the mall. Then let's install bulletproof glass in our homes, full solid metal doors with 6 locks on each one. Let's put up a trip wire around the perimeter of our property and attach it to landmines. Let's have the local authorities inform the public immediately and continuously for 6 months on the release of any prison or insane assylum inmate. Let's become prisoners in our own homes and be safe.

Maybe it's time to start eliminating the violence kids see on TV and in video games. Our entertainment industry is gluttoned with it. How many people get abducted, raped, murdered on an average night on TV? None of that stuff needs to be seen by kids and I can guarantee that there are millions of adults that let their kids watch. In the mean time if we are going to allow guns into our schools for protection let's also allow God back into our schools. Guns alone won't do it.
Ok, which god?
1/22/2013 12:22 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/22/2013 12:21:00 PM (view original):

You keep focusing on the schools. Like tec said, mass shootings happen at all kinds of different places.

HCAW are very good at what they are designed to do--kill people. They are more effective than handguns in a mass shooting situation. Make HCAW illegal and therefore harder to get and we make an incremental improvement to public safety.

It doesn't solve all problems. It doesn't stop all shootings. But it is an improvement.
I submit that it doesn't solve any problems.

It just makes some people feel good because they "did something".
1/22/2013 12:25 PM
I disagree. If a HCAW is an effective tool for mass shootings, making it illegal makes it harder to obtain and allows police to arrest people solely for possessing the weapon, improving public safety.

Maybe you can still do a lot of damage with a handgun, but anyone who has ever tried to shoot something relatively far away (or moving) knows that a rifle is much more effective.

1/22/2013 12:33 PM
"Then secure the ******* schools with something more than a sign that says "No trespassing" and a door that can be kicked in by a 120 lb crazy person."

Schools are secured by locks, armed security guards, and other control devices.   I don't understand why you think they aren't.  When was the last time you went to a school?
1/22/2013 12:34 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 1/22/2013 12:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 1/22/2013 12:21:00 PM (view original):

I submit that it doesn't solve any problems.

It just makes some people feel good because they "did something".
FWIW, I've understood what you've been doing with respect to this discussion all along.

You're saying that banning HCAW alone doesn't solve the problems.  I agree.  But as I've been saying all along (if you've been paying attention) is that it's one step out of many that probably need to be taken to solve the problem of the frequency and/or scope of mass killings.

My take is that you don't think anything should be done unless and until a complete solution can be outlined with a plan to implement.  "Complete solution" including things like weapons, registration, background checks, mental health reform, sensationalization by the media, exposure of kids to violent movies/video games, etc,  If that's an incorrect assumption on my part, feel free to correct me.

Assuming that is where you're coming from, I'll just say that I disagree.  if you wait until a complete solution that is satisfactory to everybody can be defined and agreed upon, nothing will ever happen.  Nothing.  And that's not acceptable.  Incremental changes, though they can be slow, move you in the right direction.

So I'll ask you this: assuming you agree that there can be some sort of multi-faceted solution that can lead to a result in which mass shootings (while not ever totally avoidable) can be downsized in both (or either) their frequency and/or scope, can you envision any scenario in which the continued availability of HCAW to the general public is part of any solution?

Or is it your opinion that nothing can be done, so we shouldn't even bother trying?

Again, it's not just schools . . . it's schools, malls, movie theaters, sports arenas, concerts, etc.
1/22/2013 12:52 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 1/22/2013 12:34:00 PM (view original):
"Then secure the ******* schools with something more than a sign that says "No trespassing" and a door that can be kicked in by a 120 lb crazy person."

Schools are secured by locks, armed security guards, and other control devices.   I don't understand why you think they aren't.  When was the last time you went to a school?
Sandy Hook.

Respond.
1/22/2013 12:53 PM
They have a system in place.   You need to be buzzed in.  Two adults tried to stop him from going into the school.  The school obviously went into lockdown mode.  

What more do you want?   A steel door?   I don't see why he can't force someone with a key to open it.

TSA type of security at the 98,000 public schools in America?  That seems unreasonable.

Bullet proof glass on all 1st floor windows in the 98,000 public schools?

From the beginning, my point has always been that schools have reasonable security measures in place.
I think it is time to place reasonable restrictions on fire arms.

Owning an M16 so you can walk your dog in a swamp isn't a good enough reason in my opinion.

1/22/2013 1:43 PM
It's beside the point. The goal is not to prevent school shootings. The goal is to improve public safety in all settings. 

I think we all agree that a police state/TSA screened life would be horrible. It's a much bigger infringement on our freedom to have to deal with that type of security than to outlaw certain types of weapons.

I was in Nairobi last spring and going anywhere in that city sucks. For example, the grocery store near airport is inside a mall. To get into the parking lot we had to stop at a gate manned by armed guards. You stop and one guard asks where you are going and makes you open the trunk, while another guard uses a mirror to look under your car for explosives and inspects your now open trunk. Then you walk through a security checkpoint to get into the mall, they wand you with metal detectors and look through any purses or bags you have. After you get through that check, you go through an identical one to get into the grocery store inside the mall. And even with all that security, Nairobi is still a dangerous ******* place.

There is no magic bullet. As tec said, waiting for a comprehensive solution will result in nothing getting done. The best we can hope for is an incremental improvement in public safety.
1/22/2013 2:18 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 1/22/2013 1:43:00 PM (view original):
They have a system in place.   You need to be buzzed in.  Two adults tried to stop him from going into the school.  The school obviously went into lockdown mode.  

What more do you want?   A steel door?   I don't see why he can't force someone with a key to open it.

TSA type of security at the 98,000 public schools in America?  That seems unreasonable.

Bullet proof glass on all 1st floor windows in the 98,000 public schools?

From the beginning, my point has always been that schools have reasonable security measures in place.
I think it is time to place reasonable restrictions on fire arms.

Owning an M16 so you can walk your dog in a swamp isn't a good enough reason in my opinion.

I want to stop the murder of six year olds.  What do you want?

Oh, it's too expensive to do?   Well, **** me.  I didn't realize we put price tags on human life these days.

If "reasonable" means "ineffective", I agree.

I've already said, repeatedly, that I can't strap an AW to my back when I walk my dogs.   But that doesn't mean Cattleherder Joe doesn't need one to fight off wolves in Montana.   Everyone doesn't live in your neighborhood, you know.
1/22/2013 2:36 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 1/22/2013 2:18:00 PM (view original):
It's beside the point. The goal is not to prevent school shootings. The goal is to improve public safety in all settings. 

I think we all agree that a police state/TSA screened life would be horrible. It's a much bigger infringement on our freedom to have to deal with that type of security than to outlaw certain types of weapons.

I was in Nairobi last spring and going anywhere in that city sucks. For example, the grocery store near airport is inside a mall. To get into the parking lot we had to stop at a gate manned by armed guards. You stop and one guard asks where you are going and makes you open the trunk, while another guard uses a mirror to look under your car for explosives and inspects your now open trunk. Then you walk through a security checkpoint to get into the mall, they wand you with metal detectors and look through any purses or bags you have. After you get through that check, you go through an identical one to get into the grocery store inside the mall. And even with all that security, Nairobi is still a dangerous ******* place.

There is no magic bullet. As tec said, waiting for a comprehensive solution will result in nothing getting done. The best we can hope for is an incremental improvement in public safety.
I'd feel pretty safe if I was packing a loaded weapon regardless of where I was.

Public safety, hard at work.
1/22/2013 2:37 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...26 Next ▸
WHEN WILD BOARS ATTACK? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.