11th game ridiculousness... Topic

For my Dayton team, a game was scheduled in my 11th spot, the game that got scheduled was a home game against a team that has the 318th RPI, this will KILL my tournament hopes... Please change this (we play the game in a couple of days, this is pretty time sensitive).

Thanks.
1/20/2013 3:19 PM Customer Support
Hi Mac,

Due to the way scheduling works sometimes a few teams will receive an 11th game. When it happens we cannot change the schedule, you'll have to play the game.
1/20/2013 3:35 PM m4284850
Honestly, that's kind of ridiculous, the teams that get an 11th game should be sim-coached. Why should my NT hopes be hurt because of something that I can't control? Are you sure you can't change this?
1/20/2013 3:36 PM
One game shouldnt KILL anyone's tournament hopes.
1/20/2013 3:39 PM
Posted by mullycj on 1/20/2013 3:39:00 PM (view original):
Regardless of killing his hopes or not, it will definitely be a negative and human coaches shouldn't have this eleventh game ever.
1/20/2013 3:52 PM
Haha yeah I was might have been just a little overdramatic ;) but still playing a horrid 1-7 318 RPI team at home that I never would've scheduled, is not gonna help. I don't understand why they don't just keep it to sims getting the 11th...
1/20/2013 3:55 PM
Posted by backboy13 on 1/20/2013 3:52:00 PM (view original):
Regardless of killing his hopes or not, it will definitely be a negative and human coaches shouldn't have this eleventh game ever.
I hope you're joking.  I'd take a 12th game if they wanted to give me one.   It's not like simmy finds the worst rpi's to schedule you against.  I've coached against another human coached team before.  Take the free game and be happy.
1/20/2013 3:56 PM
There are random 11th games.  It is part of the way the schedule is created.  I am not aware of any forum report of it being changed.  If you make sure to win the game, you will take a modest RPI hit.  You will also get the benefit of more improvement from the extra minutes 

I think that is just the way it is.
1/20/2013 4:14 PM
Posted by fd343ny on 1/20/2013 4:14:00 PM (view original):
There are random 11th games.  It is part of the way the schedule is created.  I am not aware of any forum report of it being changed.  If you make sure to win the game, you will take a modest RPI hit.  You will also get the benefit of more improvement from the extra minutes 

You guys make valid points, and the improvement will be nice. But, still a human shouldn't have to play these games, unless they can schedule them. So if they would've sent me a message or something like "by random selection, your team will be playing an 11th game, you can schedule any sim that you're not already playing and doesn't have a game already in the 11th spot."  And if you didn't set the game by the end of exhibitions, they just give you a random team. All I'm saying is I (the human-coach who is paying you) should have as much control over the game and my potential successfulness or  unsuccessfulness as possible.
1/20/2013 4:28 PM
The official answer from WIS long ago was that the 11th games just happen in order to make the schedule work.  I dont think it is set up so that one knows in advance what team will get them.  They are very rare - I've played many seasons and got them a couple of times.
1/20/2013 5:10 PM
Posted by m4284850 on 1/20/2013 4:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by fd343ny on 1/20/2013 4:14:00 PM (view original):

You guys make valid points, and the improvement will be nice. But, still a human shouldn't have to play these games, unless they can schedule them. So if they would've sent me a message or something like "by random selection, your team will be playing an 11th game, you can schedule any sim that you're not already playing and doesn't have a game already in the 11th spot."  And if you didn't set the game by the end of exhibitions, they just give you a random team. All I'm saying is I (the human-coach who is paying you) should have as much control over the game and my potential successfulness or  unsuccessfulness as possible.
they cant let you pick which sim you want - you are thinking about the mechanism differently than it really is. its not like they randomly assign 11th games just because. what happens, is there is a situation where they can't get a certain team to 10 games - all the guys left with less than 10, they either can't play (because they are in the same conf, or already playing), or because they dont have an open spot that lines up. so, what WIS does is, creates an 11th slot game against a random opponent. you happened to be the random opponent. having you play any other team would really do no good.

i do agree they should limit this to sims, though.
1/20/2013 6:03 PM
How many 11th games are usually played per season at each division?  I've never seen it happen to myself or any conference mates
1/20/2013 8:21 PM
I'm in my 5th season in Crum and have had it happen twice to my conference mates. I'm in my third season in Naismith and have had it happen once to a conference mate. In my other two worlds, I haven't seen it. 

In two of those three cases, the 11th game was the same day as one of the ten regular games, and they were unable to set multiple gameplans. 
1/20/2013 11:50 PM
I had an 11th game last season but it was on the 'off' day before conference play started.

A few seasons ago, there was an undefeated team, with an 11th game,  who lost in the NT. If they'd won, they would've been the only 36-0 team in WIS history
1/21/2013 6:26 AM
Posted by tarvolon on 1/20/2013 11:50:00 PM (view original):
I'm in my 5th season in Crum and have had it happen twice to my conference mates. I'm in my third season in Naismith and have had it happen once to a conference mate. In my other two worlds, I haven't seen it. 

In two of those three cases, the 11th game was the same day as one of the ten regular games, and they were unable to set multiple gameplans. 
I have had that happen to me as well, could not set game plan but fortantly I won. It REALLY should be scheduled between Sims.
1/21/2013 6:32 AM
You are probably correct about it being slightly unfair but I'm thinking there are bigger issues to solve than this.

I'm sure there are real life coaches who get stuck with games they'd rather not play either due to some goofy tradition or a rare TV appearance type of thing.

1/21/2013 7:03 PM
Actually, the way the NT process works now the 11th game against a very bad team will only have a negative impact if you lose. Your actual RPI isn't a big factor in making the NT. In the end what matters is most is your wins against quality opponents. "Bad" wins won't hurt at all. 
1/21/2013 7:44 PM
12 Next ▸
11th game ridiculousness... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.