the true meaning of our creed Topic

Well, ANYONE who references Wikipedia as a "source" during a discussion is pretty lame.  You might as well say "some random guy on the internet says..."

1/24/2013 10:02 AM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 1/23/2013 5:52:00 PM (view original):
Well then if this is a fact you can cite a source.

I was busy reading Michael Medved's book "The 10 biggest lies about America" that kind of destroyed the myth.

Swamp, since you have the book would you please cite the sources the Medved uses to back up his argument.

Lord Jeffery Amherst's letters would seem to suggest otherwise.

www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/smallpox1.html

www.umass.edu/legal/derrico/amherst/lord_jeff.html

1/24/2013 10:12 AM
Posted by toddcommish on 1/24/2013 10:02:00 AM (view original):

Well, ANYONE who references Wikipedia as a "source" during a discussion is pretty lame.  You might as well say "some random guy on the internet says..."

Actually, there are research librarians who now advocate for the inclusion of Wiki as credible sources. Many wiki pages are footnoted and one can get to the original sources. Of course, caution is always warranted, as it should be with ANY source. A "biased-free" source for anything created or interpreted by humans simply does not exist. But just because an opinion is biased does not make it false.
1/24/2013 10:16 AM
Posted by seamar_116 on 1/24/2013 10:16:00 AM (view original):
Posted by toddcommish on 1/24/2013 10:02:00 AM (view original):

Actually, there are research librarians who now advocate for the inclusion of Wiki as credible sources. Many wiki pages are footnoted and one can get to the original sources. Of course, caution is always warranted, as it should be with ANY source. A "biased-free" source for anything created or interpreted by humans simply does not exist. But just because an opinion is biased does not make it false.
An opinion isn't a fact, it's an interpretation of a fact.  The earth revolves around the sun.  That is a fact.  God (or the Spaghetti Monster) is responsible for creating the earth-sun relationship.  That is an opinion.

Just because some research librarians think Wiki is credible doesn't make it so.  The internet is filled with unsubstantiated, logically fallacious documents.  A Wiki simply aggregates, centralizes, and summarizes them...  and maybe does some cross-checking for validation.
1/24/2013 10:33 AM
Posted by toddcommish on 1/24/2013 1:20:00 AM (view original):
Funny that jiml cites wikipedia likes it's an unimpeachable and accurate source.
Maybe if you spent more time here you would understand the inside joke.  Go back to HBD and kiss MikeT's *** some more.
1/24/2013 3:12 PM
Posted by jiml60 on 1/24/2013 3:12:00 PM (view original):
Funny that jiml cites wikipedia likes it's an unimpeachable and accurate source.
Maybe if you spent more time here you would understand the inside joke.  Go back to HBD and kiss MikeT's *** some more.
Based on seamar's response, the inside joke is apparent only to you.  Sorry I'm not up on the "Jiml inside joke blog"

Send me the link, and I'll be sure to keep up-to-date on your "inside jokes".

Thanks in advance.

Regards.
1/24/2013 3:16 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 1/24/2013 12:48:00 AM (view original):
The fact that jiml automatically dismisses everyone who believes things different from what he does as unintelligent, or scared of intelligent people, renders his opinion meaningless to anyone remotely objective.
It seems to me you are jumping to that conclusion without spending much time here either. 
1/24/2013 3:18 PM
Posted by jiml60 on 1/24/2013 3:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 1/24/2013 12:48:00 AM (view original):
The fact that jiml automatically dismisses everyone who believes things different from what he does as unintelligent, or scared of intelligent people, renders his opinion meaningless to anyone remotely objective.
It seems to me you are jumping to that conclusion without spending much time here either. 
Here's another person that needs the link to your blog.
1/24/2013 3:19 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 1/24/2013 3:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jiml60 on 1/24/2013 3:12:00 PM (view original):
Based on seamar's response, the inside joke is apparent only to you.  Sorry I'm not up on the "Jiml inside joke blog"

Send me the link, and I'll be sure to keep up-to-date on your "inside jokes".

Thanks in advance.

Regards.
You didn't take into account occsid's response on the last page, or you did but it didn't fit your agenda.

1/24/2013 3:20 PM
I GOT IT RIGHT AWAY
1/24/2013 3:30 PM
ditto
1/24/2013 5:16 PM
Gee, if Cresty is onboard, then I must be the outlier.

A thousand apologies.
1/24/2013 5:56 PM
Posted by seamar_116 on 1/24/2013 10:12:00 AM (view original):

I was busy reading Michael Medved's book "The 10 biggest lies about America" that kind of destroyed the myth.

Swamp, since you have the book would you please cite the sources the Medved uses to back up his argument.

Medved's book points out that the ideas were not an actual plan, but an idea that came from someone angry from the attacks by the indians.

There is no supporting evidence that this actually took place.
1/25/2013 1:32 AM
Posted by swamphawk22 on 1/25/2013 1:32:00 AM (view original):
Posted by seamar_116 on 1/24/2013 10:12:00 AM (view original):

Medved's book points out that the ideas were not an actual plan, but an idea that came from someone angry from the attacks by the indians.

There is no supporting evidence that this actually took place.
Well, the links I just provided indicate that Medved's researchers are not very good, and that you did not bother to read the evidence I provided. But hey, if the facts don't support your theory then the facts must be wrong.
1/25/2013 9:44 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...9 Next ▸
the true meaning of our creed Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.