Favorite Player #31 - $120mil - FULL Topic

This will be the 31stinstallment of the popular "favorite Player" series. Owners in the current league are invited back, but this theme is definitely open to everyone! Just because this is season 31 doesn't mean we always have the same group of owners - we definitely don't - so feel free to sign up even if you've never played before!

Have you ever really wished you could use Ron Darling, but couldn't bring yourself to do it because your opponents would have much better pitchers? Do you have a favorite hitter who you've never been able to squeeze into a team before? Then this league is for you!!!

Here's how it works. When you sign up for the league, you nominate your favorite player. Everyone in the league uses that player on their team. 24 people give nominations, providing 24 players out of a 25-man roster. The last player is a 25th man not from the list (nomination method varies by season, check details below)

When building your roster, you can choose any season from the career of each player nominated. So you might choose the '86 version of Darling, and I might choose the '92 version.

In order to keep things logical we need to have a few restrictions in place.

1.You CANNOT nominate a player unless he meets the following criteria
-At least 2 seasons in WIS
-At least one WIS season over $750k
-At least one WIS season <400 IP (for pitchers)
-At least one WIS season >100 AB (for hitters)
-At least one WIS season under$3 mil (modified in season 29)

The "under 3mil rule" because of Tony Fernandez, who sat on everyone's bench due to the nomination of Derek Jeter who didn't have any cheap seasons. For season 4, it was increased to 1.5 mil (see rule #4 for reasons why), for season 19 it was increased to 2.0mil, and for season 29 it was increased to 3.0mil.
This rule, the Tony Fernandez Rule, now applies to pitchers and hitters (as of season 29)

2. The league will have a salary cap of $120 mil
However you draft your seasons is up to you but they have to fit under this cap.

3. No Trades, WW or AAA.
4. There is NO DH for season 31. This will allow bench players to play a more important role --- pinch hitters. Hey, at least they'll get in the game! This has been working pretty well so far.

5. We must have a regular lineup of nominees. This means the following position minimums must be met by nominated players: 2 catchers, 1 for each infield position, 3 extra infielders, 4 outfielders, 3 starting pitchers, 3 relief pitchers, 4 other pitchers and 1 wild card (pitcher or hitter).

Players will be listed at their primary position, but that doesn't mean you have to use them there. In other words, I can list Ernie Banks at SS, but you can use him as a 1B if you like when you're building your team. I would encourage at least a couple multi-position nominations just to make things more fun.

6. Cookies are NOT blacklisted.
However, if you're going to pick Milacki, Joss, Phillips, etc. then I reserve the right to ask you why you consider them one of your favorite players of all time

7. You must use a park where the player YOU nominate played.
I realize this could get sticky if you pick triples hitter and Petco and no one else nominates any triples hitters. But you don't have to nominate a player who played in only one park and you don't have to declare your park when you post your player.

8. There will be ONE random realignment when the league is done.

9. 25th man rule:
For season 31, we will keep to the rule that introduced a special twist. You can use any player you want for your 25th man, provided that their salary is under 10 million dollars. 9,999,999 is OK, 10,000,000 is not OK.
In seasons 3-9, we used the rule that you must use any player from the season you choose for your favorite player. So if I choose Mike Gonzalez as my fave, and use his 2004 season, my 25th man must be any player from 2004.
In seasons 1, 10 and 11 it was any player you like (2nd fave) and in season 2 it was a teammate of your fave.

10. Previously used players are NOT blacklisted for nomination.We had made this a hard blacklist as a one-time-only thing in season 20, but we're back to normal in season 31. You can nominate someone who was used before but please try to be judicious about it - try not to nominate someone used in the last couple seasons.

11. In-game injuries will be turned OFF. No need for that.

Any questions please let me know.
1/23/2013 10:14 AM
For the full list of players used in all previous seasons, and the list of champions, please visit our new League Tracking thread:

Link to tracking thread: http://whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=431628&TopicsTimeframe=30 

Here are the last few seasons:

Season 23 player list:
Jerry Grote, Gary CarterHank GreenbergPlacido Polanco, Nomar Garciaparra, Wade Boggs, Dick Stuart, Jose Oquendo, Nate Colbert, Sam Crawford, Andy Pafko, Ken Griffey JrVada Pinson, Nolan Ryan, Bob Feller, Sam McDowell, Al Hrabosky, Dick Radatz, Dan Wheeler, Jon Lester, John Candelaria, Elmer Steele, CC Sabathia, Maury Wills

Season 24 player list:
Geovanny Soto, Rick DempseyDon HurstCarlos Baerga, Robin Yount, Ron Santo, Jose Bautista, Toby Harrah, Martin Prado, Roger Maris, Brett Butler, Roy White, Ralph Kiner, Don Sutton, Jack Morris, Hal Newhouser, Rafael Betancourt, Rich Garces, Aurelio Lopez, John Smoltz, Boom Boom Beck, Andy Messersmith, Joe Niekro, Duke Snider

Season 25 player list:
Joe Mauer, Gene TenaceBoog PowellSki Melillo, Troy Tulowitzki, Ken Boyer, Harmon Killibrew, Bret Barberie, Cecil Cooper, Rocky Colavito, Goose Goslin, Carlos Beltran, Billy Hamilton, Jesse Tannehill, Robin Roberts, Greg Maddux, Dan Quisenberry, Goose Gossage, Bruce Sutter, Nolan Ryan, Joe Sambito, Tim Wakefield, Bob Ojeda, Bret Boone

Season 26 player list:
Gary Carter, Duke Farrell, Zeke Bonura, Tom Herr, Joe Cronin, Ron Cey , Johnny Pesky, Ken Oberkfell, Jeff Frye, Ty Cobb, Earl Averill, Jim Rice, Al Simmons, Steve Rogers, Ubaldo Jimenez, Toad Ramsey, Mark Eichhorn, Brian Fuentes, Jim McAndrew, Vinegar Bend Mizell, Rick Sutcliffe, Bob Gibson, Walter Johnson, Hank Aaron

Season 27 player list:
Johnny Roseboro, Sandy Alomar Jr, Wally PippEddie Collins, Ozzie Smith, Graig Nettles, Phil Rizzuto, Roberto Alomar  , Billy Goodman, Bobby Veach, Greg Luzinski, Sixto Lezcano, Sammy Byrd, Justin Verlander, Don Drysdale, Bobo Newsom, Kent Tekulve, Daniel Bard, Joe Nathan, Dave Stieb, Jose Deleon, Stan Coveleski, Harvey Haddix, Dave Parker

Season 28 player list:
Mickey Cochrane, MIckey Tettleton, Jeff Bagwell, Rogers Hornsby, Barry Larkin, Dave Hollins, Jack Clark, Joe Sewell, Jimmie Foxx, Harry Heilmann, Frank Howard, Tony Oliva, Willie Wilson, CC Sabathia, Jack Morris, Gaylord Perry, Ray King, John Rocker, Tim Burke, Greg Maddux, Randy Johnson, Ron Guidry, Gene Garber, Pete Rose

Season 29 player list:
Bill Freehan, Jack Clements, Willie McCovey, Charlie Gehringer, Jimmy Rollins, Stan Hack, Luis Castillo, George Kell, Marty McManus, Roberto Clemente, Mickey Mantle, Heinie Manush, Adam Lind, Bob Feller, Rick Reuschel, John Tudor, Steve Reed, LaTroy Hawkins, Rollie Fingers, Doug Drabek, Jamie Moyer, Dock Ellis, Hideo Nomo, Al Kaline

Season 30 player list:
Mike Piazza, King Kelly, Mark Teixeira, Jose Oquendo, Tony Fernandez, Jimmy Collins, Mark DeRosa, Miguel Cabrera, Alvin Dark, Stan Musial, Jim Edmonds, Dale Murphy, Jacoby Ellsbury, Addie Joss, Sandy Koufax, Sam McDowell, Jonathan Papelbon, Tug McGraw, Vida Blue, Dan Haren, Kerry Wood, Sonny Siebert, Felix Hernandez, Ival Goodman (OF)
1/23/2013 10:16 AM
sitemail list:

contrarian23; jfranco77; cubbies84; cholatse; pinotfan; ejstockman; savvy; jedijeff; genemock91; calnah; River_Rats; timetoplay5; swal13; marlowe; spikeboots; CSRB1980; deathdealer; professorjon; dorkster; kriz; zephyr1949; specsman; jkorn

owner list with nominees:

x1. jfranco77 - Ichiro Suzuki, OF
x2. contrarian23 - Fred Lynn, OF
x3. cubbies84 - Eddie Mathews, IF
4. cholatse - Danny Litwhiler, OF
x5. pinotfan - Goose Gossage, P
x6. ejstockman - David Wright, 3B
7. savvy - Tom Henke, RP
x8. jedijeff - Todd Helton, 1B
x9. genemock91 - Lance Berkman, OF
x10. calnah - Jack Glasscock, IF
x11. River_Rats - Russell Branyan, IF
x12. timetoplay5 - Steve Trout, P

x13. swal13 - Warren Spahn, SP
x14. marlowe - Andy Messersmith, SP
x15. spikeboots - Roberto Alomar, 2B
x16. CSRB1980 - Pete Rose, wild card
x17. deathdealer - Catfish Hunter, SP
x18. professorjon - Rick Burleson, SS
x19. dorkster - Johnny Bassler, C
x20. thebubbaq - Johnny Sain, P
x21. kriz - Rod Beck, RP
x22. zephyr1949 - Elroy Face, RP
23. specsman - Gary Carter, C
x24. jkorn - Jesse Orosco, P
2/8/2013 1:58 PM (edited)
PLAYER/POSITION LIST

C (full): Johnny Bassler, Gary Carter
1B (full): Todd Helton
2B (full
): Roberto Alomar
SS (full):  Rick Burleson
3B (full): David Wright
Infielder (full): Russell Branyan, Eddie Mathews, Jack Glasscock
OF (full): Ichiro Suzuki, Fred Lynn, Danny Litwhiler, Lance Berkman

SP (full)
: Andy Messersmith, Catfish Hunter, Warren Spahn
RP (full):Tom Henke, Rod Beck, Roy Face 
P (full):  Johnny Sain, Steve Trout, Jesse Orosco, Goose Gossage

Wild Card (full): Pete Rose
2/1/2013 3:12 PM (edited)
im in, not sure of my nomination yet
1/23/2013 10:45 AM
you got it, welcome!

by the way, i am not waiting to take an empty spot this time, because my favorite player is finally eligible to be nominated after his 2012 season.

welcome, Ichiro!!!
1/23/2013 10:51 AM
David Wright, 3B
1/23/2013 10:59 AM
ill go with the briefly a Tiger, mr eddie mathews!
1/23/2013 11:10 AM
I will join with Andy Messersmith - SP
1/23/2013 11:22 AM
Lance Berkman
1/23/2013 12:25 PM
Robbie Alomar
1/23/2013 1:16 PM
Danny Litwhiler
1/23/2013 1:17 PM
thanks guys. updating now.
1/23/2013 2:24 PM
I am going to use my wild card bid on Pete Edward Rose ----- my "alltime favorite player" period !!!!!! btw -- jfranco check out my new league -- you might find in entertaining !!!!
1/24/2013 12:31 PM (edited)
love player nominees like rose who appear at multiple positions
1/23/2013 3:21 PM
123 Next ▸
Favorite Player #31 - $120mil - FULL Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.