Posted by teamville on 1/27/2013 1:18:00 PM (view original):
Didn't mean to bag on anyone. Just saying that teams dominating divisions with low participation doesn't prove the point that was made.

Like you said, the engine has some predictability. Which just means that you should dominate the low participating divisions. Those divisions you are more likely to have a true dynasty. I think the original post was stating that the engine isn't random because people are dominating low participating divisions. I disagree.
You don't mean to bag on anyone...but anyone who has built a dynasty in this engine isn't worthy of having it called a dynasty because of lack of participation?

There could be 10 teams or 144 at DII Stagg at Valdosta and I would STILL have to get thru gt_deuce every season if I want to win the NC. Not to mention other solid solid solid coaches like gaheel84, forthofer, mojolad, Humdogs, jeffn48, and bulldog25174. So if all these NC's are just because I am dominating low participating divisions...then I guess having to go thru a few legends of GD to do it means zilch!

1/27/2013 5:57 PM
Did I not call it a dynasty? Sure - Ill call it a dynasty. Dude - I'll give you this... You know what your doing! You have made it so you have the best possible chance to win. Doesn't mean the engine isn't random.  

Last year you played Winoda State in the NC - Can you explian how this coach (with 6 CC's over 54 season's, never made it past the 3rd rd of the playoffs) made it past all these great coaches? Did the coach finally figure it out? Did he out coach and out recruit all the great coaches?
1/28/2013 9:58 AM
On your 2nd point, there are several reasons Winona may have finally made it that far. For starters...I played gt_deuce in the quarters, so he didn't see either of us until the NC. 2nd...his team has been a consistent top 12 GUESS rated team every year. He has 4 of those CC's in the last 7 seasons. He also has 3 of the 4 seasons in Winona history of making Quarters or better...3 came in last 6 seasons. So did he figure it out? Perhaps. Did he out-coach/outrecruit them? Probably not, but he may have finally caught a draw he could handle. He also played me tough in an exhibition game that season...so it wasn't that random at all.

On your 1st...1st...thx! Now...if I am giving my team the best possible chance...and then winning...isn't that the definition of not random?

Also..is it random if you do it at several different places? Or at different levels?
1/28/2013 11:17 AM
The point about low population/less competition is that there should be more dynasties.  It's easier to win an NC in a division with 50 coaches than one with 200 coaches.  The reason there aren't more dynasties is the new engine does not reward the best coaches as consistently as the old engine.  Hopefully, the beta and resulting game will correct that. 
1/28/2013 12:26 PM
Look what I started ! I'm loving reading these comments. Thanks for leaving me off that list damauler12 I only lost to you twice in two years of the playoffs before I decided to leave D-2 stagg (leaving my team intact for an oppurtunistic mojolad)
1/28/2013 3:42 PM
Slider makes a good point though to be honest when I played in D-2 stagg only coaches I didn't want to play were gtdeuce and damauler everyone else was preferable to play. So I can see how dynasties are easier to make since I'm competing with only two coaches for a NC. None the less still difficult to maintain a team and know you have a target on your back. I think the new update whenever it comes around will be a good change where the better team is actually favored instead of having a 50-50 shot vs a under ranked team.
1/28/2013 3:46 PM
@jfootball88- I was only using the coaches who participated last season. You made W. Ore. a tough out for sure.

@slid64er- Reid, I have no disagreement that beating 200 is harder than 50. I could make a case that with the way vision works in GD, a world 1/4 full or 3/4 full can be roughly the same for the top end teams getting the lions share of talent...but I concede the more full the world...the tougher for sure. However, the original point of the OP was that dynasty's can be built and it isn't all random. Maybe they can't be made at D1a in this form of engine, but I think it's been proven they can be made in some form or another at the lower levels.

I am not the greatest coach in GD history for sure, but I also don't know how anyone can say a coach who has guided 3 separate teams to winning 3 of the last 5 NC's (Winona-Warner), 3 of the last 4 NC's (Hiram-Stagg), and 4 of the last 5 NC's (Valdosta-Stagg) is...

A. Not a dynasty

or

B. Random

I too hope the new engine makes everyone happy. However...like life...pretty hard to make everyone happy all the time!
1/28/2013 10:49 PM
◂ Prev 12

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.