Potential vs Work Ethic Topic

i have experience on both sides of the fence.. Potential is often my deciding factor when looking at where I want a player to be and not where they are... however, I if a player doesnt have the greatest potential but is already better than my current starter then I then overlook potential.. two examples though of how inconsistant each of these played out..

scenerio one.. I recruited a TE with "worked hard to reach his potential" or the low potential grade.. player started 4 years and grew consistantly all 4 years.. in his favor, a 4.0 gpa and a WE of 48 to start out.. finished with a 100 WE and went from a 712 to an 836 in 4 years and was Guess rated #1 TE after starting out #6.

Same recruiting class I recruited and signed #4 overall OL.. same potential grade as above.. started all 4 years.. started out 718 and finished at 781, less than 16 per year growth compared to the TE.. GPA was 2.4.. dont know if that played a part or not..

1/27/2013 2:35 PM
Thanks for the info everyone!  Very good info and helps make sense of the confusion, for me anyway... 
1/28/2013 5:56 AM
I have long been in the "WE times Potential" (where I assign each potential level a certain number) camp. It works.

The X-Factor here, though, is that high WE tends to be a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts. To rephrase, high WE begets high(er) WE much more rapidly. And higher WE means your "WE times Potential" number increases faster. Yeah, it makes for a moving target, but it's something to keep in mind if you're trying to break a close tie between two players. I haven't modeled it mathematically, so I just trust my gut. You'll form your own gut feelings on these things over time, if you pay close attention.

Also, don't overlook the "potential is a spectrum, not discreet values" point that has been made in this thread. I summarily reject the notion that there is any overlap of the potential levels - that is to say, a "high average" recruit's potential is NOT EVER higher than a "low above average" recruit's potential. However, there is substance to the notion that a "high average" recruit can *basically* grow at the same rate as a "low above average" recruit, all other things being equal.
1/28/2013 2:41 PM
◂ Prev 12
Potential vs Work Ethic Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.