D3, Season 64 Topic

Thanks.  I plugged in my "Secret Sauce" formula that I use to value my players & recruits and applied it to each team.  I think it is going to be fairly accurate, but it is going to overvalue my team (Willamette) and teams with an IQ problem.  I think it slightly undervalues press teams as well.
2/2/2013 2:04 PM
cool addition to the conversation.  I haven't looked at Hardin Simmon's team - but I have a hard time seeing them missing the tournament!
2/2/2013 3:41 PM
Fair enough Bullman.  Very cool addition.
2/2/2013 4:34 PM
Does it account for at-large vs. automatic bids?  I was too lazy to check and see if each conference was represented.  There are 32 conference automatic bids + 32 at large... if not, this will mean a few of those bids will go to lesser teams

2/2/2013 5:02 PM
There are seven teams in that were not in the top 64 because of automatic bids.  

Hardin-Simmons was the second team out.  You are probably right about them being better than that, press teams are built a little differently and some of them turn out better than I give them credit for.  
2/2/2013 6:02 PM
That works for me --- being a pressing team, perhaps Millsaps is even better than you think???!!!!!!  ;]
2/2/2013 8:56 PM
Chapman is feeling good vibes for the season, but I feel like Allen Chappell got robbed as 3rd team preseason All-American. I know it doesn't mean much but he is the second highest overall player in the nation at Div 3, and he would be top 10 in Div 2 also... It's time for him to silence his critics
2/3/2013 8:49 AM
Just a quick question... If i have my JUCO PG and he got a 2.0 GPA there, around how much study hall minutes should i give him?
2/3/2013 12:16 PM
Chappell is going to wreak havoc in the Northwest Conference this year.  I am contemplating a Tonya Harding type incident in order to slow him down.
2/3/2013 1:05 PM
I would probably err on the high side of 12 to 14 min in study for a jr with 2.0 gpa at the juco school. (There is a good formula to use under the help tab, players guide)
2/3/2013 2:30 PM (edited)
I was looking at that formula and I couldn't understand it
2/3/2013 3:33 PM
Posted by brianxavier on 2/3/2013 2:30:00 PM (view original):
I would probably err on the high side of 12 to 14 min in study for a jr with 2.0 gpa at the juco school. (There is a good formula to use under the help tab, players guide)
Agree.  I was going to say 13-14 minutes.  The good news is you get 'midterm reports' emailed to you midway through the semester.  If the report says he's got a 3.0 at the halfway point you can decrease study hall by a minute or 2.  If you're close to or under 2.0 at the midway point, you can pump more minutes into study hall to keep them eligible.
2/3/2013 4:58 PM
To figure out the right study hall minutes, you take their high school GPA (or in this case their juco GPA) and subtract it from the "baseline" GPA provided in the formula... based on their class (freshmen, soph, jr, or senior)
so in this case:
all juniors are 3.2 (GPA provided by players guide for juniors that a coach just figured out as a baseline) minus 2.0 (his juco GPA) = 1.2
1.2 X 10 = 12 study hall minutes

so for freshmen you look at their HS gpa
4.0 - 3.13 (random example) = 0.87 = 8.7 min of study hall (round up to 9)...

I tend to err on the conservative side at first, and with seniors that I really need on the court (especially since they are maxed out in many categories anyway)

there is some variation, but like darnoc said, you have the midterm grade which provides insight regarding adjustments up or down. 

2/3/2013 5:08 PM
Just to offer another opinion, I would say the numbers mentioned so far are pretty conservative.  And that's ok, but I definitely take a more aggressive approach to grades in general.  I think it's good to sometimes do one or the other, depending on how devastating it would be to lose the player to grades.

I would start a JR out with 0 study hall at least 95% of the time, but I agree a JUCO showing a 2.0 GPA has to get something.  I'd probably start about 5 minutes, with a little flexibility either way depending on how much potential he has (i.e. how "scarce" the practice min are).  With 5 minutes, I would fully expect the midterms to come back around 2.5 or possibly worse.  At that point I would probably bump it up to 10, maybe as much as 15 if it's sub-2.0.  Then back to 5 when the new "semester" starts.

The philosophy being, don't waste the minutes until you really need to waste them.  We're not running the scholar bowl team here, so any GPA they post over 2.0 with SH minutes is a waste. 
2/4/2013 3:13 PM
Wow. lost by 32 
2/4/2013 4:02 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...7 Next ▸
D3, Season 64 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.