I'd trade chat WASH and work on getting Mangual.

THEN I'd post in World Chat "Looking for pitching help. Willing to move one of the following to get it done" and list Parrish, Diaz or Oliver (depending on which one is left from the WASH deal), and Alston. Then see what kind of offers roll in.

I'd also be patient about it. Some guys can't check in all day every day, so I'd give it a full 2 RL days before accepting anything.

I also wouldn't sweat Hererra. he isn't a great loss.
1/30/2013 2:47 PM
Posted by bglick on 1/30/2013 2:40:00 PM (view original):
Would he be able to fetch anything on the market instead of Alston? 

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Ronnie Parrish

Unlikely.   Too expensive for a bench guy.
1/30/2013 3:10 PM
How important are bench guys overall? Which positions do you need backups for? 
1/30/2013 3:28 PM
Depends on how much you're going to use them.  I use them liberally.

Back-up C(Burns could fit the bill), utility guy that can fill in everywhere(like your almost SS) and a LF/RF/1B type who isn't quite up to fielding the positions but has a big bat(Alston).
1/30/2013 5:38 PM
This thread has gone way off topic, but I like this guy  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Francisco Contreras as a good fielding SS.

For backups, they are fairly important.  I usually try to have one guy that can play both 2B and CF as a utility.  You have to have 2 SS and C types too.  And then one guy that can play COF, 1B, DH.  Among these, I shoot for defensive backups for the most part, and try to have one of them be a super sub, that costs me usually about 4-5M and gets up to 400 ABs a year all over the field.  So you can look at him as an almost starter.

1/30/2013 6:28 PM
Wait I only have room for 4 backups due to my pitching rotation, should I have a shorter rotation? 
1/30/2013 9:08 PM
You have 11 pitchers on your BL roster. Add 9 batters and that leaves 5 bench spots.

Don't get too tangled up in the details. Everyone has a different team makeup. Many different types of teams can be successful.

Some like to have 12 pitchers, some rather 11.
Some like to have a great def C, others don't care, especially if their main C is solid enough defensively.
Some like to have a basher vs lefties and one for Righties, others would rather have a great def replacement for CF/2B. Or a great pinch runner or a great Ulility type guy like ranger called an "almost starter". It just depends on what would best help your team get a little better after you have your core already built and are pretty happy with your every day guys.

1/30/2013 9:20 PM
If you follow the back-up list I posted, you've got room.   It does matter about your team make up.   With a DH, you have 12 spots for position players(using my suggestion).    If you have more than 12 pitchers, you're either overstaffed or you've built it in an inefficient manner.    That should leave at least one "wild card" spot for roster spot 25. 
1/31/2013 8:36 AM
Your pitchers only have to cover about 1500 innings during the course of the year.  You want your most effective guys pitching those innings.  My staff usually looks like this. I carry ten guys.  In one world I also have a 4 man rotation, all of them very good pitchers with durability of 30+ so I don't need a 5th starter.:
SP
SP
SP
SP
SP
long relief guy
sua
sua
sub
sub

1/31/2013 11:34 AM
I carry 12 but I usually have 2 with less than 50 IP.   I could cut it to 11 pretty easily.   10 is too tight for my liking.   A few back to back extra inning games over a short span will create a mess. 
1/31/2013 12:17 PM
I tend to stay away from the less than 30 stamina bullpen guys, so of the ten I carry, and those in the pen, they are capable of more work if it is needed.  Unless a lower durability guy that is a stud falls into my lap, I don't bother drafting or signing those kinds.
1/31/2013 12:28 PM
I'm OK with it because, obviously, I don't carry as many bench guys.  My reasoning is pretty simple.  I can live with playing a few guys at 98-99% until roster expansion.   I can't live with using 57% pitchers.
1/31/2013 12:36 PM

Who should I trade to get backup players? Do any of my current back up players make sense? (I'm using the lineup you suggested, even currently I'm still using Carlton Oliver as my SS while I negotiate to trade for a defensive SS. 

2/1/2013 8:49 AM
Until you get a SS, I wouldn't worry about trading for back-up players.    You're fine with the guys you have.  Burns can be your back-up C and the no-hit/not quite a SS guy can fill in anywhere.   You already have a few bats on the bench.
2/1/2013 10:16 AM
Well,

I'm 45 games in and am sitting 19-26. Jimmie Burns got injured a week ago in real time, and is out for the season. Octavio Sanchez just got hurt and will miss 72 HBD. But injuries aren't the real problem, I just don't see how I can  get this team to be competitive without blowing up the whole team. Since I was new to the game when I started the season, I didn't budget properly at all so this is another season that's going to hold back my rebuilding process.

To be fair since I started playing a SS instead of Oliver at SS, I'm 9-10, but my team is too expensive for what it can produce. I have only 4 ML starters (Poole, Garko, Taipes, and Tarranga (SP), making the minimum right now that can be (Somewhat) useful players. 

In terms of key players:

Burns, Alston, Boone, and Martin will all be in arbitration at the end of this year. I'm almost positive I cannot afford to go into arbitration with Boone and Alston, so should I try to trade them?. Martin made $1.2M in arb last year, anyone know what he'll ask for at the end of this year? Is it worth it to try to keep him (he's been awful this year, worse than I thought his ratings would be, but maybe I'm interpreting them wrong)? Burns seems like a great bat, but again not sure if I can keep him. Thoughts on him?

Alfonzo, and Oliver will be FA this year, but given that they are old and will be asking for at least $3-4 each, should I try trading them now? Hahn and Manual have long term deals, they both are pretty solid (at least I think so), so they should have some trade value. Should I just mail it in and trade them now? 

The best players in this draft are shortstops. The best SP prospect (my biggest need) seems comparatively way worse. Next year, I am aiming to get a stud IFA SP which is why I'm trying to cut payroll.

I have no one in the minors right now that will be an average player or better that will be ready for next season. 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

2/12/2013 12:24 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.