Range/base running vs. Speed Topic

tec-- if you look more closely at those players-- their batting average over a career is about what you would expect from their contact and splits.  The sim determines that there has been a single, and then makes it an infield single if the player is fast.  So the correlation exists but doesn't make the player better.
1/30/2013 10:26 PM
Posted by gregsimon on 1/30/2013 9:52:00 PM (view original):
Infield hits are different than bunt hits. Two different stats.
My bad.  Long day.

Still, look at the league leaders page for a world deep into the season.  You will see a strong correlation between high speed/bunt ratings and league leaders in bunt hits.
1/30/2013 10:30 PM
Posted by dedelman on 1/30/2013 10:26:00 PM (view original):
tec-- if you look more closely at those players-- their batting average over a career is about what you would expect from their contact and splits.  The sim determines that there has been a single, and then makes it an infield single if the player is fast.  So the correlation exists but doesn't make the player better.
"The sim determines that there has been a single, and then makes it an infield single if the player is fast. "

How do you know this is true?
1/31/2013 12:56 AM
Apparently the only thing we do know with certainty is the closer your phucker is to 100 OVR the better chance you have.
1/31/2013 11:37 AM
Posted by pb15 on 1/31/2013 12:56:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dedelman on 1/30/2013 10:26:00 PM (view original):
"The sim determines that there has been a single, and then makes it an infield single if the player is fast. "

How do you know this is true?
Reasonable question.  What I did was identify the players with the most career infield hits-- of course, they had a ton of speed.  Then, I identified players with the most similar contact/splits (and when I could, eye and power) that were slow and/or had few infield hits.  The career batting averages-- and I did 15-20 pairs of players-- were essentially identical, within a reasonable margin of error (10-20 points), and certainly not different by what the number of infield hits involved would change the batting average by.

That help?

1/31/2013 12:56 PM
I thought about doing all this kind of research once.  And then I just masturbated and drafted the highest rated player available.
1/31/2013 5:26 PM
Did you draft a true knuckleballer after your masturbatory high?
1/31/2013 5:32 PM
I would have, had one been available.
2/1/2013 1:12 PM
◂ Prev 12
Range/base running vs. Speed Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.